Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default source for motor brushes?

The real trick on brushes is the spring and contact size.
If the graphite is larger. Get one that is larger and file it down.
Simple as that.

That was the way when metric ones needed replacement and none were to be
found.

Martin
Martin H. Eastburn
http://lufkinced.com/

clare at snyder.on.ca wrote:
On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 21:50:21 -0600, "Don Young"
wrote:

"Al A." wrote in message
Hi all,
Is it just around here (NE Massachusetts) that it seems that no place
seems to sell replacement brushes for motors anymore? Used to be that
every rinky-dink hardware store around at least a small assortment to look
through. Now no place seems to.

I need brushes for a 3/4 HP 90V DC motor. It is a rectangular brush, the
face that runs on the commutator is 0.312" X 0.625" and it has a shunt
(the little copper wire & metal contact) and spring attached. I do not
know what the length is supposed to be offhand, but it would not seem such
a difficult thing to find. I tried the biggest old-tyme hardware store
around here (goes way back to the mill fabric mill era, 7 HUGE creaking
floors of stuff, some of which I'm sure has not been sold in 30 years,
etc.), they don't carry them. I even tried the local motor service and
rebuilder guy, good size shop, he rewinds motors for the place I work all
the time. He does not stock them! WHAT?!?!

I found a few places on the web, but at least the ones I found were not
the sort of places that would deal in 2 or 4 pc quantities.

Any of you guys have a secret source or a hot lead for me?

Thanks for any ideas.

AL A.

Check if there is a place that repairs vacuum cleaners, sewing machines, or
small appliances such as mixers and blenders. These generally use brush type
motors. Automobile alternators also use similar brushes.

Don Young

But all of these are WAY too small for the motor in question.
Electric lawn mowers, power saws, automotive starters, tradmill
motors, etc will have a better chance.