Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.repair

Default source for carbon commutator brushes ?

any suggestions on source for small carbon brushes (small quantity)

i did do a google search.... lots of mfg sites or for large quantity
wholsale purchase mostly for larger motor applications

looking for 0.220" x 0.220" by 3/4" long shuntless (just spring) size brush
for low rpm A/C motor

thanks for any help,
rob

Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.repair

robb wrote:

any suggestions on source for small carbon brushes (small quantity)

i did do a google search.... lots of mfg sites or for large quantity
wholsale purchase mostly for larger motor applications

looking for 0.220" x 0.220" by 3/4" long shuntless (just spring) size brush
for low rpm A/C motor

thanks for any help,
rob

Have you tried the local hardware stores? Several chains carry them
in those flip down drawers where they have oddball hardware, toggle
switches, springs and such. That size sounds like an old sewing machine
motor. That would be another place to check, if you have an old
fashioned repair shop in your area that repairs, rather than replaces
the motors.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.repair

robb wrote:
any suggestions on source for small carbon brushes (small quantity)

i did do a google search.... lots of mfg sites or for large quantity
wholsale purchase mostly for larger motor applications

looking for 0.220" x 0.220" by 3/4" long shuntless (just spring) size brush
for low rpm A/C motor

thanks for any help,
rob

Somewhere that does vacuum cleaner repairs will have a carbon brush
selection box.

Ron(UK)

--
Lune Valley Audio
Public Address Systems
Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 19:24:45 GMT, "robb" wrote:

any suggestions on source for small carbon brushes (small quantity)

i did do a google search.... lots of mfg sites or for large quantity
wholsale purchase mostly for larger motor applications

looking for 0.220" x 0.220" by 3/4" long shuntless (just spring) size brush
for low rpm A/C motor

thanks for any help,
rob

Ace True Value hardware stores in this area stock loads of brushes - a
bit pricey ($4 each!) but beats hunting and shipping handling costs.

If they don't have the exact one - they are easy to file to size and
shape.

Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.repair

On Jul 23, 5:15 pm, default wrote:
On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 19:24:45 GMT, "robb" wrote:
any suggestions on source for small carbon brushes (small quantity)

i did do a google search.... lots of mfg sites or for large quantity
wholsale purchase mostly for larger motor applications

looking for 0.220" x 0.220" by 3/4" long shuntless (just spring) size brush
for low rpm A/C motor

thanks for any help,
rob

Ace True Value hardware stores in this area stock loads of brushes - a
bit pricey ($4 each!) but beats hunting and shipping handling costs.

If they don't have the exact one - they are easy to file to size and
shape.

You can always sandpaper down a brush that is too large, just be sure
to get all the powder and sand off the brush before placing it in the
motor. I have done this many times for old shavers and other various
small motors that use brushes. The new material may be a little
softer or harder than the original material the brushes were made of,
but that is not a big issue compared to getting the motor running
again.

H. R. (Bob) Hofmann

Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.repair

On 2007-07-23, robb wrote:
any suggestions on source for small carbon brushes (small quantity)

motor rewinder ?
junk dealer?

Bye.
Jasen
Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 19:24:45 GMT, "robb" wrote:

any suggestions on source for small carbon brushes (small quantity)

i did do a google search.... lots of mfg sites or for large quantity
wholsale purchase mostly for larger motor applications

looking for 0.220" x 0.220" by 3/4" long shuntless (just spring) size brush
for low rpm A/C motor

Have you tried your local auto electrician?
Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.repair

In article , rebel wrote:
On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 19:24:45 GMT, "robb" wrote:

any suggestions on source for small carbon brushes (small quantity)

i did do a google search.... lots of mfg sites or for large quantity
wholsale purchase mostly for larger motor applications

looking for 0.220" x 0.220" by 3/4" long shuntless (just spring) size brush
for low rpm A/C motor

Have you tried your local auto electrician?

These guys were pretty cheap.

http://optbco.com/default.asp

Another co. I deal with.

http://www.repcoinc.com/

There are others.
Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.repair

On Jul 23, 3:24 pm, "robb" wrote:
any suggestions on source for small carbon brushes (small quantity)

i did do a google search.... lots of mfg sites or for large quantity
wholsale purchase mostly for larger motor applications

looking for 0.220" x 0.220" by 3/4" long shuntless (just spring) size brush
for low rpm A/C motor

thanks for any help,
rob

When I needed one for a fan motor in my car, the only source I could
find was at a vacuum cleaner repair shop.

Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.repair

On Jul 23, 2:24 pm, "robb" wrote:
any suggestions on source for small carbon brushes (small quantity)

A long long time ago I had to do the same on a small motor. I took
apart
a D-size carbon zinc battery and the center core was a carbon rod that
I file
down to match the size of the carbon brush. It worked fine.

Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.repair

"cmdrdata" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jul 23, 2:24 pm, "robb" wrote:
any suggestions on source for small carbon brushes (small quantity)

A long long time ago I had to do the same on a small motor. I took
apart
a D-size carbon zinc battery and the center core was a carbon rod that
I file
down to match the size of the carbon brush. It worked fine.

That's a clever idea in a pinch, I hadn't thought of it. In most cases it'd
be easier to buy the right or similar brush though rather than file one from
scratch.

Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.repair

Default source for commutator brushes (OP says - thanks to all responses)

thanks to everyone for responces, help and ideas now i have a couple of
sources to try.
robb

link.net...