Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ted frater ted frater is offline

Default source for motor brushes?

Al A. wrote:
clare at snyder.on.ca wrote:

What is the motor out of (or off of)?
I'm guessing a treadmill
If the manufacturer is still in business and in this country, they
should have them available. If offshore, and handled by a reputable
distributor THEY should have the.
If not, try an auto-electric shop or motor shop and get the next
largest size and work them down to fit.

Thanks for the reply. I should have included this info, but it is not
out of treadmill. The motor is an industrial TEFC C-face unit that used
to be attached to a right angle gear reducer of some sort. IIRC the
motor is labeled "Boston Gear", but the gearbox is long gone. I think my
next step may be to try to dope out the model number (nameplate is
pretty beat up) and see if Boston Gear can help.

I guess I am hoping one of you guys will say "...Oh yeah, just call
here and tell Bob what you need...."

thanks again,
AL

you need to try a hand power tool shop . Black an dDecker, Makita, Bosch
there are hundreds of brush type motors going back 50 yrs with all sorts
of sizes of brush. As Clare said get some that are bigger and work down
on some sand paper on aflat surface till youve the same size as the
originals.
I do this on old power tools I still want to use.