Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David Billington David Billington is offline

Default source for motor brushes?

Al A. wrote:
Hi all,
Is it just around here (NE Massachusetts) that it seems that no place
seems to sell replacement brushes for motors anymore? Used to be that
every rinky-dink hardware store around at least a small assortment to
look through. Now no place seems to.

I need brushes for a 3/4 HP 90V DC motor. It is a rectangular brush,
the face that runs on the commutator is 0.312" X 0.625" and it has a
shunt (the little copper wire & metal contact) and spring attached. I
do not know what the length is supposed to be offhand, but it would
not seem such a difficult thing to find. I tried the biggest old-tyme
hardware store around here (goes way back to the mill fabric mill era,
7 HUGE creaking floors of stuff, some of which I'm sure has not been
sold in 30 years, etc.), they don't carry them. I even tried the local
motor service and rebuilder guy, good size shop, he rewinds motors for
the place I work all the time. He does not stock them! WHAT?!?!

I found a few places on the web, but at least the ones I found were
not the sort of places that would deal in 2 or 4 pc quantities.

Any of you guys have a secret source or a hot lead for me?

Thanks for any ideas.

AL A.

You could try GraphiteStore.com
http://www.graphitestore.com/cat.asp/spcat_id/3 as they seem to have a
large selection. I don't know whether they have a minimum order.