Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave August Dave August is offline

Default source for motor brushes?

No prob Al, Glad to be of some help

FYI When the Variac blew I called "Standard Power" .. When I asked about
brushs, the laughter about the age of the Variac was too funny, and of
course the answer was not only NO. but that brushs and a holder for a newer
model that I'd have to modify was gonna be $150.00 ++... I balked... They
pointed me at some old geezer up in Oakland CA (I'm in Monterey) who they
said *might* be of help...

I called...he was obviously a COG (Crusty Old Geezer).. Wondered what I
used it for.. I said .."Uh... it powers my BridgePort".. His tone of voice
changed INSTANY and the the old guy says.. "Well jeez, go git a alternator
shop and make yer own, thats what I do..." !!!!!!

I hit the local alternator shop and it's too funny for words... EVERYTHING
including the guy who ran it was covered in black carbon.. I ask about
buying some brushs.. he says "show me the alternator".. I say.. "uh... it
for experiments".. he points to a HUGE pile (I'm not kidding 3 feet around
and 3 feet high) of used ones and says.. :take any of them ya want for
free".... :-))))

--.- Dave

"Al A." wrote in message
. ..
Dave August wrote:
Do you have a local automobile alternator/generator shop?.

Those guys will GIVE you all the used brushs you need..... all you need
to do is cut to size... hack saw and file work...

I did this when the brushs on my 60 year old 30 amp Variac died...

--.- Dave

Thanks Dave. There are a few of those places around. Someone else
mentioned that also. I'll have to visit a few of them on my way home from
work next week.

Appreciate the reply.

-AL A.