Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default I give up ...........

On Dec 11, 7:59 pm, "SteveB" wrote:
I abso - ****ing - lutely give up.

I'm watching TV tonight.

There's an ad for "snolfing".

If is a plastic bat with a cup in the end.

You jam it into the snow, and it catches a snowball size gob of snow in the
cup.

You swing the thing like a golf club or a baseball bat and launch the
snowball.

Only $9.95 for about eight cents worth of plastic.

Someone's gonna make million$.

All my years.

All my intellect.

And I couldn't think of this.

I give up.

Steve

A soup can nailed to an old broomstick works the same. Must be you
don't live where there's snow 4-5 months of the year.

Stan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

There's just gotta be a juicy lawsuit for that thing. Let's all think
real hard....
JR
Dweller in the cellar

SteveB wrote:
I abso - ****ing - lutely give up.

I'm watching TV tonight.

There's an ad for "snolfing".

If is a plastic bat with a cup in the end.

You jam it into the snow, and it catches a snowball size gob of snow in the
cup.

You swing the thing like a golf club or a baseball bat and launch the
snowball.

Only $9.95 for about eight cents worth of plastic.

Someone's gonna make million$.

All my years.

All my intellect.

And I couldn't think of this.

I give up.

Steve

Dependence is Vulnerability:
"Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

SteveB wrote:

Someone's gonna make million$.

All my years.

All my intellect.

And I couldn't think of this.

I give up.

Don't give up. Ever. Some 26 years ago I got the idea to
vacuum form table protectors for milling machines. Worked in
a sheet metal shop where we just made them from scrap. But
stuff would roll/fall off the edges.

Had a friend that owned a vacuum forming business. Talked to
them, made a few prototype forms and had some samples made.
Mine had a rib around the edge that kept stuff from
rolling/falling off. Worked everything out and decided they
would have to retail for $13 or more, and who would pay that
much for plastic?

A year or two later, MSC starts selling plastic vacuum
formed mill table covers and they have been in the catalog
ever since.

Which is worse, not having a good idea in the first place,
or having one and not following through with it???

Starting a new business with a partner. We've been friends
for over 40 years, riding/racing, partying, goofing off, and
always discussing ideas. There's been dozens of things we
have thought up separately or together. We're finally
forming up a new company and putting one of our ideas into
production, if it takes off, there's plenty more ideas to
follow.

Just don't EVER give up.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 11 Dec 2007 19:30:13 -0800, Jon Anderson wrote:

Which is worse, not having a good idea in the first place,
or having one and not following through with it???

/me: raises hand for "industrial noise sound cancellation using
microphones, an invertor, and speakers".

30 years ago.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I abso - ****ing - lutely give up.

I'm watching TV tonight.

There's an ad for "snolfing".

If is a plastic bat with a cup in the end.

You jam it into the snow, and it catches a snowball size gob of snow in
the cup.

You swing the thing like a golf club or a baseball bat and launch the
snowball.

Only $9.95 for about eight cents worth of plastic.

Someone's gonna make million$.

All my years.

All my intellect.

And I couldn't think of this.

I give up.

Steve

I remember a neighbor having one of those when I was growing up...don't
remember exactly when it was, but it must have been late '60's maybe as late
as '71 or so...about 3' long, blue plastic, big knob on the handle end so
that you didn't throw it along with the snowball.

Mike

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jon Anderson wrote:
SteveB wrote:

[...]

Misery seems worse when self imposed...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 11, 6:59 pm, "SteveB" wrote:
I abso - ****ing - lutely give up.

I'm watching TV tonight.

There's an ad for "snolfing".

If is a plastic bat with a cup in the end.

You jam it into the snow, and it catches a snowball size gob of snow in the
cup.

You swing the thing like a golf club or a baseball bat and launch the
snowball.

Only $9.95 for about eight cents worth of plastic.

Someone's gonna make million$.

All my years.

All my intellect.

And I couldn't think of this.

I give up.

Steve

Yeah, millions. That's what my Great Grandfather, Grandfather, and
father though with their perpetual motion machines. Don't get carried
away. Quantify ALL the costs for your invention, including the cost of
selling it.

Paul, KD7HB
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

The Davenport's wrote:
[...]

1968, Mine was yellow. I was 6 or 7. It was the last year I saw snow
before moving to Florida. Best snow ball pitcher for short kids and tall
snow banks. Memories.

Jim Vrzal
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
Jon Anderson wrote:

Which is worse, not having a good idea in the first place,
or having one and not following through with it???

Back in 1970 some friends & I came up with the idea of a video game
played on your TV. We could not get a selling price below $99 so we
dropped the idea. About 2 years later the chip became available and all
was possible, but I was out of the country then

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Make 'em out of "aircraft quality" aluminum, anodize them in multiple colors
and sell them for ten times that price or more... Come on. Go for the high
end snowball fight market.

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Joe AutoDrill wrote:

Make 'em out of "aircraft quality" aluminum, anodize them in multiple colors
and sell them for ten times that price or more... Come on. Go for the high
end snowball fight market.

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244

V8013-R

Speaking of which, does anyone know what "aircraft quality" aluminum
actually is? As far as I know, there is no such designation. The stuff
I've been using in my ultralight is 6061-T6 but I don't think it's
called "aircraft quality". Just another marketing ploy.

Jim
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Chandler wrote:
Joe AutoDrill wrote:

Make 'em out of "aircraft quality" aluminum, anodize them in multiple
colors and sell them for ten times that price or more... Come on. Go
for the high end snowball fight market.

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244

V8013-R

Speaking of which, does anyone know what "aircraft quality" aluminum
actually is? As far as I know, there is no such designation. The stuff
I've been using in my ultralight is 6061-T6 but I don't think it's
called "aircraft quality". Just another marketing ploy.

Jim

My airplane is nearly all 6061-T6

But I think they usually want that to mean 2024-T3 with the shiny alclad
surface...

Richard
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"cavelamb himself" wrote in message
Jim Chandler wrote:
Joe AutoDrill wrote:

Make 'em out of "aircraft quality" aluminum, anodize them in multiple
colors and sell them for ten times that price or more... Come on. Go
for the high end snowball fight market.

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244

V8013-R

Speaking of which, does anyone know what "aircraft quality" aluminum
actually is? As far as I know, there is no such designation. The stuff
I've been using in my ultralight is 6061-T6 but I don't think it's called
"aircraft quality". Just another marketing ploy.

Jim

My airplane is nearly all 6061-T6

But I think they usually want that to mean 2024-T3 with the shiny alclad
surface...

Richard

I think it just means one of the heat-treatable alloys to most people. They
aren't talking about quality, they're talking about grade. There's no such
official designation for aluminum as "aircraft quality." The shop I worked
in made many parts for experimental aircraft, for Forrestal Research Center,
and all they wanted was grade and the certs for the aluminum.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Chandler wrote:

Joe AutoDrill wrote:

[...]

That was my point, Ed. The marketers have used the term "aircraft
quality" to sell their crap. It has no real meaning but it sounds good.

Jim

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jon Anderson wrote:

Which is worse, not having a good idea in the first place,
or having one and not following through with it???

I think it is being too late to the table. Many years ago in HS physics our
instructor showed us how one could modulate light to carry an audio signal.

When I saw my first laser, I figured you could use it to target a window far
away and reflect the modulated signal back so you could listen in to what
was going on in that room. The difference was the light thing the
instructor showed was AM the reflected laser was FM, oh, I guess that radio
stuff the instructor covered earlier was usefull. Thank you Mr. Phillip
Starkey.

I was a bit late, the technique was in existance but not widely known at the
time, which proves how many inventions that get patented are not that mind
blowing, just using evolving technology to do what was once theory and not
worth pursuing but now is possible.

I hope the for next loop hasn't been patented.

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Joe AutoDrill" wrote in message
Make 'em out of "aircraft quality" aluminum, anodize them in multiple
colors and sell them for ten times that price or more... Come on. Go for
the high end snowball fight market.

Joe, do you remember back about 10 or so years when everything had to be
called "Turbo"? We had Turbo keyboards, turbo wallets and, of course,
"turbo tax". Fads!!

Ivan Vegvary

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Make 'em out of "aircraft quality" aluminum, anodize them in multiple
colors and sell them for ten times that price or more... Come on. Go
for the high end snowball fight market.

Joe, do you remember back about 10 or so years when everything had to be
called "Turbo"? We had Turbo keyboards, turbo wallets and, of course,
"turbo tax". Fads!!

Yep... But my personal favorite is stuff marked with "space age"... The
space age started decades before some of us were born!
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Chandler wrote

That was my point, Ed. The marketers have used the term "aircraft
quality" to sell their crap. It has no real meaning but it sounds good.

Jim

Just another "billet" term. :-)
...lew...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Joe AutoDrill wrote:

Yep... But my personal favorite is stuff marked with "space age"... The
space age started decades before some of us were born!

Speak only for yourself there "son".
I was out of school and married when the "space age" started.
...lew...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Chandler wrote:

Joe AutoDrill wrote:

[...]

All I can say is, what do you think the general public would make of it if
they said, "2024 T3 aluminum," or, if you want a higher grade, you can have
it in "your choice of 3003 or even 5052"? g

I think we can cut them some slack here. Most people wouldn't know what the
hell they were talking about, but "aircraft quality" comes closer to
explaining to the public what it is.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Lew Hartswick" wrote in message
Jim Chandler wrote

That was my point, Ed. The marketers have used the term "aircraft
quality" to sell their crap. It has no real meaning but it sounds good.

Jim

Just another "billet" term. :-)

Oh, God, don't do that. JB may be lurking somewhere. g

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Chandler wrote:

Speaking of which, does anyone know what "aircraft quality" aluminum
actually is? As far as I know, there is no such designation. The stuff
I've been using in my ultralight is 6061-T6 but I don't think it's
called "aircraft quality". Just another marketing ploy.

Jim

Bingo!

Wanna see someone get either wierded out, or just stare at you with a
blank look, ask for the certs that prove it is fit to use on airplanes.

Lot's of good stuff goes into some airplanes, and lots of low grade
cheseball **** gets used to! It's all aircraft grade, if it's the stuff
spec'd.

Same bull**** for Mil-Spec. There are mil specifications out there
that cover ALL sorts of junk.

Cheers
Trevor Jones

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Which is worse, not having a good idea in the first place,
or having one and not following through with it???

/me: raises hand for "industrial noise sound cancellation using
microphones, an invertor, and speakers".

30 years ago.

Me to son around 1988 or so: "Wouldn't it be a great idea to make a
computer printer out of a Xerox machine somehow? You wouldn't be talking
about characters-a-second, you'd be talking about pages-a-minute or even
more."
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Trevor Jones" wrote in message

Bingo!

Wanna see someone get either wierded out, or just stare at you with a
blank look, ask for the certs that prove it is fit to use on airplanes.

Lot's of good stuff goes into some airplanes, and lots of low grade
cheseball **** gets used to! It's all aircraft grade, if it's the stuff
spec'd.

Same bull**** for Mil-Spec. There are mil specifications out there that
cover ALL sorts of junk.

Cheers
Trevor Jones

huh. i was aghast when a guy i know showed me a beautifully constructed
aileron and told me the trailing edge was made of household grade aluminum
flashing. i guess it works huh?

b.w.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 12, 11:23 am, Jim Chandler wrote:

Speaking of which, does anyone know what "aircraft quality" aluminum
actually is? As far as I know, there is no such designation. ...
Jim

It's just below Beer Can Quality, but I doubt anyone will push that
term.

I haven't heard of Duralumin in quite a while.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 18:28:44 -0800 (PST), Jim Wilkins
wrote:

On Dec 12, 11:23 am, Jim Chandler wrote:

Speaking of which, does anyone know what "aircraft quality" aluminum
actually is? As far as I know, there is no such designation. ...
Jim

It's just below Beer Can Quality, but I doubt anyone will push that
term.

I haven't heard of Duralumin in quite a while.

"aircraft quality" aluminum is aluminum that can be traced to the
producing mill and has a paper trail to assure it is what it says it
is. Can be any of several different series including 6061, depending
where it is being used on the plane.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Joe AutoDrill wrote:

Make 'em out of "aircraft quality" aluminum, anodize them in multiple
colors and sell them for ten times that price or more... Come on. Go
for the high end snowball fight market.

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244

V8013-R

Speaking of which, does anyone know what "aircraft quality" aluminum
actually is? As far as I know, there is no such designation. The stuff
I've been using in my ultralight is 6061-T6 but I don't think it's called
"aircraft quality". Just another marketing ploy.

Jim

Actually, that should read "aircraft GRADE".

I have done work for a defense contractor and often have stock called out
for 7075-T*** and it is a heat treatable...exactly how, I don't know...and
about the toughest to machine aluminum I've ever seen.

But it sure do make for some pretty threads!

Mike

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
John Husvar wrote:

wrote:

Which is worse, not having a good idea in the first place,
or having one and not following through with it???

/me: raises hand for "industrial noise sound cancellation using
microphones, an invertor, and speakers".

30 years ago.

Me to son around 1988 or so: "Wouldn't it be a great idea to make a
computer printer out of a Xerox machine somehow? You wouldn't be talking
about characters-a-second, you'd be talking about pages-a-minute or even
more."

There were laser printers available in 1985 (and earlier).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LaserWriter - 8ppm

--
Jedd Haas - Artist - New Orleans, LA
http://www.gallerytungsten.com
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2007-12-12, Joe AutoDrill wrote:

Joe, do you remember back about 10 or so years when everything had to be
called "Turbo"? We had Turbo keyboards, turbo wallets and, of course,
"turbo tax". Fads!!

Yep... But my personal favorite is stuff marked with "space age"... The
space age started decades before some of us were born!

Hmm ... what do you call the beginning of the "space age"? I
was in high school when Sputnik and the Vanguard "grapefruit" were
launched.

Enjoy,
DoN

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
John Husvar wrote:

Me to son around 1988 or so: "Wouldn't it be a great idea to make a
computer printer out of a Xerox machine somehow? You wouldn't be talking
about characters-a-second, you'd be talking about pages-a-minute or even
more."

I was using a Versatec printer/plotter, which used the Xerox process
right down to smelly paper, by 1979. Might have been 1978.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

There were laser printers available in 1985 (and earlier).

About that time I was working on a color inkjet printer, hoping to
beat low-cost color laser printers to market.

Jim Wilkins
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Joe AutoDrill wrote:

Yep... But my personal favorite is stuff marked with "space age"... The
space age started decades before some of us were born!

Speak only for yourself there "son".
I was out of school and married when the "space age" started.
...lew...

I knew this was coming sooner or later.

FYI - I consider the start of the space age the late 1940's since that is
arguably when the first real materials that survived space were being
developed for that use.

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
Jedd Haas wrote:

In article ,
John Husvar wrote:

wrote:

Which is worse, not having a good idea in the first place,
or having one and not following through with it???

/me: raises hand for "industrial noise sound cancellation using
microphones, an invertor, and speakers".

30 years ago.

Me to son around 1988 or so: "Wouldn't it be a great idea to make a
computer printer out of a Xerox machine somehow? You wouldn't be talking
about characters-a-second, you'd be talking about pages-a-minute or even
more."

There were laser printers available in 1985 (and earlier).

Well, darn, there goes my memory again.

My son and I did have the conversation, but I obviously misremembered
when. I do recall the LaserWriter hitting the market. Thanks for the
correction.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LaserWriter - 8ppm

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Joe Pfeiffer wrote:

In article ,
John Husvar wrote:

Me to son around 1988 or so: "Wouldn't it be a great idea to make a
computer printer out of a Xerox machine somehow? You wouldn't be talking
about characters-a-second, you'd be talking about pages-a-minute or even
more."

I was using a Versatec printer/plotter, which used the Xerox process
right down to smelly paper, by 1979. Might have been 1978.

Versatec used an electrostatic process similar to the one used in
Xerographic based laser printers, but:

1) There was no laser.
2) The paper was charged directly from a print head; there was no drum.
3) The print head charged the paper on a pixel - per - print element
basis; there was no 'scanning'.
4) The image was 'developed' using liquid toner; there was no fuser.

Most models were beige in color, so in that respect all were identical.

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Winston wrote:
Joe Pfeiffer wrote:

In article ,
John Husvar wrote:

Me to son around 1988 or so: "Wouldn't it be a great idea to make a
computer printer out of a Xerox machine somehow? You wouldn't be
talking about characters-a-second, you'd be talking about
pages-a-minute or even more."

I was using a Versatec printer/plotter, which used the Xerox process
right down to smelly paper, by 1979. Might have been 1978.

Versatec used an electrostatic process similar to the one used in
Xerographic based laser printers, but:

1) There was no laser.
2) The paper was charged directly from a print head; there was no drum.
3) The print head charged the paper on a pixel - per - print element
basis; there was no 'scanning'.
4) The image was 'developed' using liquid toner; there was no fuser.

Most models were beige in color, so in that respect all were identical.

Yup, been there, done that. It was the
witch's brew of chemistry that smelled
bad. The paper didn't smell at all until
it ran through the printer.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Stewart wrote:
Winston wrote:

Joe Pfeiffer wrote:

In article ,
John Husvar wrote:

[...]

'Isopar'. I know the aroma well.

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Chandler wrote:

Joe AutoDrill wrote:

[...]

That would be similar to the "billet" scam.

Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Chandler wrote:

Joe AutoDrill wrote:

[...]

Yeah, and someone mentioned in a recent post that the flaps or ailerons on
some homebuilt were made of aluminum flashing. I assume that's grade 1100
and, sure enough, there are adds for "aircraft quality grade 1100 aluminum
flashing" on the Web.

That's got to be the bottom. But maybe not.

--
Ed Huntress

OK, I Give Up Lew Hodgett Woodworking 17 October 10th 06 07:12 PM
OK Harold, we give *up*! daniel peterman Metalworking 3 November 17th 05 03:40 PM
Give this a try!! amadarr Home Repair 1 May 18th 05 01:53 AM
i give up xrongor Home Repair 54 March 2nd 05 07:40 PM