Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner[_2_] Gunner[_2_] is offline

Default I give up ...........

On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 20:06:13 GMT, Jim Chandler wrote:

Ed Huntress wrote:

"cavelamb himself" wrote in message

Jim Chandler wrote:

Joe AutoDrill wrote:

Make 'em out of "aircraft quality" aluminum, anodize them in multiple
colors and sell them for ten times that price or more... Come on. Go
for the high end snowball fight market.

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244

V8013-R

Speaking of which, does anyone know what "aircraft quality" aluminum
actually is? As far as I know, there is no such designation. The stuff
I've been using in my ultralight is 6061-T6 but I don't think it's called
"aircraft quality". Just another marketing ploy.

Jim

My airplane is nearly all 6061-T6

But I think they usually want that to mean 2024-T3 with the shiny alclad
surface...

Richard

I think it just means one of the heat-treatable alloys to most people. They
aren't talking about quality, they're talking about grade. There's no such
official designation for aluminum as "aircraft quality." The shop I worked
in made many parts for experimental aircraft, for Forrestal Research Center,
and all they wanted was grade and the certs for the aluminum.

--
Ed Huntress

That was my point, Ed. The marketers have used the term "aircraft
quality" to sell their crap. It has no real meaning but it sounds good.

Jim

That would be similar to the "billet" scam.

Gunner