Old August 30th 07, 02:23 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT - Ebay Problems - Accessing pages

On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 14:51:28 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, nick
hull quickly quoth:

In article ,
Larry Jaques wrote:

Cable is more impossible than DSL in my location, it will NEVER come
here

Then satellite is your best option, but there are horror stories with
all of them. http://www.google.com/search?q=satellite+internet shows
one for $30/mo. Not bad.

The $30/mo seems to be for cable, WildBlue at $50/mo is the cheapest I
could find for true satellite

http://www.skycasters.com/?source=satelliteinternet 1-way, but that
takes out half the latencies. I'd have preferred it over Starband's
2-way, especially at half the price.

--

According to our strength of character and our clarity of vision, we will
endure, we will succeed, we will have contributed something to make life

Old August 30th 07, 02:39 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 29, 2:34 pm, Ignoramus31174 [email protected]
31174.invalid wrote:
On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 12:05:06 -0700, Too_Many_Tools wrote:
On Aug 26, 1:19 pm, Too_Many_Tools wrote:
Lately I have been having ALOT of problems accessing Ebay pages while
on dialup.

Anyone else?

TMT

My problems with Ebay continue...sometimes it works and most of the
time it does not.

Lots of "Cannot find server or DNS Error" responses.

Sounds like a problem with your DNS settings. Check your "Network
properties" and make sure that you are using correct DNS server IPs.

Thanks for the suggestion...the DNS is auto.

I have been using this computer and its settings for years without
problems.

And everything but Ebay works....except for the on again off again
problem with the Earthlink mail server....while other mail servers
work on the same connection..

TMT

TMT

Old August 30th 07, 02:41 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

According to JohnM :
Too_Many_Tools wrote:

[ ... ]

Over the last few days I have been doing some serious web surfing and
Ebay is by far the worst offender.

In my case, I am not spending as much money on Ebay as I would if I
could browse faster.

[ ... ]

I've got a bunch of their stuff in my hosts file- ebayststic.com, that
sort of bull, and I've always had pretty fast loading pages. Watch what
loads and try putting some of the useless sounding stuff in hosts, see
if it helps.

If it does, be warned that it could suddenly *stop* working
whenever eBay moves their functions to new machines. When they make
such a change, the DNS is alerted, and names such as ebaystatic.com are
routed to a different machine with a different IP address, after which
they retire the old one.

But your machine will keep trying to reach the old IP address
after such a change, until you kill off the hosts entry and note what IP
address turns out to correspond to the new machine with the old name.

It is better to keep your hosts file clean of external systems
(though it can be used to kill off a lot of spam sources and such. I
tend to do that in the routing tables, instead of in the local hosts
file.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Old August 30th 07, 03:56 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

Cable is more impossible than DSL in my location, it will NEVER come
here

Then satellite is your best option, but there are horror stories with
all of them. http://www.google.com/search?q=satellite+internet shows
one for $30/mo. Not bad.

The $30/mo seems to be for cable, WildBlue at $50/mo is the cheapest I
could find for true satellite

http://www.skycasters.com/?source=satelliteinternet 1-way, but that
takes out half the latencies. I'd have preferred it over Starband's
2-way, especially at half the price.

I don't understand, they seem to be $150/mo and up

Old August 30th 07, 01:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 21:56:40 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, nick
hull quickly quoth:

Larry Jaques wrote:

Cable is more impossible than DSL in my location, it will NEVER come
here

Then satellite is your best option, but there are horror stories with
all of them. http://www.google.com/search?q=satellite+internet shows
one for $30/mo. Not bad.

The $30/mo seems to be for cable, WildBlue at $50/mo is the cheapest I
could find for true satellite

http://www.skycasters.com/?source=satelliteinternet 1-way, but that
takes out half the latencies. I'd have preferred it over Starband's
2-way, especially at half the price.

I don't understand, they seem to be $150/mo and up

I don't, either. The day before yesterday, Skycasters had an ad in
Google Adwords for a $29.95/mo sat connection. It's not listed on
their site or Google now. Go figure!

Maybe their HOA banned it.

Do the voices in my head bother you?

Old September 4th 07, 01:57 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

DoN. Nichols wrote:
According to JohnM :
Too_Many_Tools wrote:

[ ... ]

[...]

Late response on my part.. I don't know anything about routing tables,
I'm a very basic level geek, but everything in my hosts file is routed
to localhost. I've got a program that fills the graphics that the
browser (Mozilla) needs with tiny little dots so that the page doesn't
sit and wait 'till it times out, works well for me. I seldom see an ad
or flashing banner, if I see one I check it out and add it to the hosts
file, takes about 30 seconds if I can find the shortcut to the file
amongst all the stuff on my desktop screen.

I've read that some WinXP machines have trouble with large hosts files
(in excess of 1Mb), which mine is, but I've noticed no problems so far.
First used the hosts file for directing stuff to localhost with Win98,
then 98SE, no problems with either of those running big host files
either. My Linux OS also doesn't seem to mind it a bit, just about the
first thing I did with that machine.

If anyone's interested, the ebay servers I've got directed to localhost
are ebaystatic.com, pics.ebaystatic.com, include.ebaystatic.com. Pages
load a lot faster and everything works.`

Thanks for the suggestion, I looked up routing tables, need some time to
absorb more though.

John
Old September 4th 07, 04:16 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

According to JohnM :

[ ... ]

It is better to keep your hosts file clean of external systems
(though it can be used to kill off a lot of spam sources and such. I
tend to do that in the routing tables, instead of in the local hosts
file.

[ ... ]

Late response on my part.. I don't know anything about routing tables,
I'm a very basic level geek, but everything in my hosts file is routed
to localhost. I've got a program that fills the graphics that the
browser (Mozilla) needs with tiny little dots so that the page doesn't
sit and wait 'till it times out, works well for me. I seldom see an ad
or flashing banner, if I see one I check it out and add it to the hosts
file, takes about 30 seconds if I can find the shortcut to the file
amongst all the stuff on my desktop screen.

O.K.

I've read that some WinXP machines have trouble with large hosts files
(in excess of 1Mb), which mine is, but I've noticed no problems so far.
First used the hosts file for directing stuff to localhost with Win98,
then 98SE, no problems with either of those running big host files
either. My Linux OS also doesn't seem to mind it a bit, just about the
first thing I did with that machine.

If anyone's interested, the ebay servers I've got directed to localhost
are ebaystatic.com, pics.ebaystatic.com, include.ebaystatic.com. Pages
load a lot faster and everything works.`

O.K. I'm sure that ebay would be displeased that you don't want
to "benefit" from all their hard work. :-)

Thanks for the suggestion, I looked up routing tables, need some time to
absorb more though.

One nice thing about routing tables is that it is easy to add an
entire block of IPs with a single command line. As an example (on a
unix system) the command line:

route add -net 59.0.0.0 -netmask 255.224.0.0 127.0.0.1

routes all IPs from 59.0.0.0 through 59.31.255.255 (all in Korea, FWIW)
to the localhost address (127.0.0.1). As a result, you can block a lot
more junk with fewer lines.

To be honest, I don't know *how* to do it on a Windows system,
and I suspect that it varies with which version of Windows you happen to
be running. Microsoft likes to re-invent all standards that they see,
so don't bet on it being easy. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Problem accessing the rec Glen[_2_] Woodworking Plans and Photos 9 August 18th 07 09:30 PM
accessing the wreck RayV Woodworking 11 May 19th 06 01:35 PM
Need help accessing this newsgroup Sbtypesetter Woodworking 43 February 6th 05 10:26 PM
Accessing roof vent Peter Wells Home Repair 1 February 6th 05 03:04 PM
Magnavox CCR190AT03 - Accessing Menu without the remote Electronics Repair 3 November 1st 03 03:53 PM