Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default Problem accessing the rec

How are y'all.

I have a question. I use Thuderbird for mail and newsgroups and my ISP
is Earthlink. For about two weeks now I have not been able to access
rec.woodworking. I have contacted Earthlink, spent two hours or so with
tech support and nobody could come up with a clue as to what could be
the problem. They were nice about it and even called me on the phone
twice, several days after the marathon troubleshooting session, with
suggestions, but, alas, to no avail. I have no problem with this group
or the one other group to which I subscribe.

Questions:
1. Has anyone else had any problems of this sort?
2. I know so many of you are real experts in computers (I am as far from
expert as one can get)and I have come to respect the advice that many of
you offer (yes, I know this should, perhaps, be asked in a computer
using group, but I think of many of you as friends), thus I am asking if
any of you have any idea or suggestion as to what the problem could be.
I have un-subscribed and re-subscribed to the group. I have disabled
all filters and have tried all sorts of other things. I am at a loss.
Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
Glen

PS I feel like a junkie in need of my fix - I MISS MY REC!
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

I have a question. I use Thuderbird for mail and newsgroups and my ISP is
Earthlink. For about two weeks now I have not been able to access
rec.woodworking. I have contacted Earthlink, spent two hours or so with
tech support and nobody could come up with a clue as to what could be the
problem. They were nice about it and even called me on the phone twice,
several days after the marathon troubleshooting session, with suggestions,
but, alas, to no avail. I have no problem with this group or the one other
group to which I subscribe.

Earthlink seems to have changed their news group servers. I was not getting
either the rec or a.b.p.w. I also spent a couple of hours with earthlink
support.

I had to:

1) Change my news reader to use nntp:news.earthlink.net (used to be
nntp:news.west.earthlink.net or something like that).

2) Unsubscribe and then resubscribe to the desired news groups.

3) Resync all messages (this last step may not have been necessary).

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Yeah me too! ;-(
I deleted all old messages and restarted the computer about a 20 times.
Looked at all settings and double checked everything. It all started working
again slowly. At first I got the rec back up then ABPW and then some others
I look at occasionaly. I even tried switching east/west newservers, no help.
Persistence is the key with earthlink. I am happy with their service other
than the occassional newsgroup problemo. I think they watch people try to
access news and see bandwidth problems and hope we will get mad and go
elsewhere or it is just not a hight priortiy. Either way just when I am
ready to give up and switch providers it starts working again. I didn't get
any newsgroups from the 9th to the 15th of this month.
Good Luck Lyndell

"Glen" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Glen" wrote in message
How are y'all.

I have a question. I use Thuderbird for mail and newsgroups and my ISP
is Earthlink. For about two weeks now I have not been able to access
rec.woodworking. I have contacted Earthlink, spent two hours or so with
tech support and nobody could come up with a clue as to what could be the

Earthlink's new enhanced Usenet service is the problem... The message
numbers on your machine are out of sync with what is on the server. If you
Reset the news groups and then "catch up" it should straighten things out
for you...

John

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Glen" wrote in message
How are y'all.

I have a question. I use Thuderbird for mail and newsgroups and my ISP
is Earthlink. For about two weeks now I have not been able to access
rec.woodworking. I have contacted Earthlink, spent two hours or so with
tech support and nobody could come up with a clue as to what could be the

Earthlink's new enhanced Usenet service is the problem... The message
numbers on your machine are out of sync with what is on the server. If you
Reset the news groups and then "catch up" it should straighten things out
for you...

John

Dan, Lyndell, John,

I thank you for your assistance and I will try what you suggested.

Thanks again,
Glen

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

I had to:

1) Change my news reader to use nntp:news.earthlink.net (used to be
nntp:news.west.earthlink.net or something like that).

CORRECTION:

I just looked at my news reader settings. I am using nntp.earthlink.net
for the server name.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Glen" wrote in message
How are y'all.

I have a question. I use Thuderbird for mail and newsgroups and my ISP
is Earthlink. For about two weeks now I have not been able to access
rec.woodworking. I have contacted Earthlink, spent two hours or so with
tech support and nobody could come up with a clue as to what could be the

Earthlink's new enhanced Usenet service is the problem... The message
numbers on your machine are out of sync with what is on the server. If you
Reset the news groups and then "catch up" it should straighten things out
for you...

John

This morning I printed out the suggestions that you and some others gave
me. I wanted to try your suggestion, but when it comes to computers I
am a bit dense. How would I "reset the newsgroups" and where would I
find the "catch up command."

BTW, John, while I was trying other things, I googled rec.woodworking
and thunderbird and it came to a screen where you answered this question
for me about a week ago on the rec. My question obviously posted, but I
never saw the response. For this I want to doubly thank you for
answering me twice.

Thanks again
Glen
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Glen" wrote in message
[...]

Not sure what browser you are using but in Outlook Express you'd click on
tools\options\maintenance\clean up now. There is a option to reset the news
groups. After you do that go to each group in the folder list that you have
subscribed to and right click. There is an option to catch up.

Other browsers have similar functionality so look around a bit.

John

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

John Grossbohlin wrote:

Not sure what browser you are using but in Outlook Express you'd click on
tools\options\maintenance\clean up now. There is a option to reset the news
groups. After you do that go to each group in the folder list that you have
subscribed to and right click. There is an option to catch up.

Other browsers have similar functionality so look around a bit.

John

You are a good man! I found nothing on Thuderbird like you described
(which does not mean that it isn't there, just that I can't find it) but
I followed your advice on OE. By God, it worked. I can still feed my
rec.woodworking addiction!

Thanks a lot,
Glen
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Glen" wrote in message
John Grossbohlin wrote:

Not sure what browser you are using but in Outlook Express you'd click on
tools\options\maintenance\clean up now. There is a option to reset the
news groups. After you do that go to each group in the folder list that
you have subscribed to and right click. There is an option to catch up.

Other browsers have similar functionality so look around a bit.

John

You are a good man! I found nothing on Thuderbird like you described
(which does not mean that it isn't there, just that I can't find it) but I
followed your advice on OE. By God, it worked. I can still feed my
rec.woodworking addiction!

Thanks a lot,
Glen

Glad to help... If Thunderbird has Help there is probably something in there
about resetting the message counters and / or synchronization.

John

Accessing Setup Menu On Old Panasonic PV-4212 VCR w/o Remote deebee Electronics Repair 1 August 17th 06 09:28 PM
accessing the wreck RayV Woodworking 11 May 19th 06 02:35 PM
Need help accessing this newsgroup Sbtypesetter Woodworking 43 February 6th 05 11:26 PM
Accessing roof vent Peter Wells Home Repair 1 February 6th 05 04:04 PM
Magnavox CCR190AT03 - Accessing Menu without the remote Electronics Repair 3 November 1st 03 04:53 PM