Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT - Ebay Problems - Accessing pages

On Aug 28, 6:56 am, nick hull wrote:
In article , "Tony"
wrote:

what's dialup? Is that like when you call up Ebay to place a bid over the
phone?

Where I live dialup is the only way to connect to the internet except
satellite (which I'll probably do soon). 24k is the best I get over the
phone line, no DSL possible.

Same here...and it will not be getting any better.

While Ebay is the worst offender, many web sites insist on using
bandwidth wasting garbage on their websites.

Since there is a bandwidth limit on dialup and cell phones connected
to the Web, I really don't understand why they do it...it just limits
their potential customer base. Also with Ebay, customers who are
located remotely represent their best potential customers. Much of the
extra bandwidth is taken up by ads....and I suspect that companies are
taking advantage of the ad income as an easy way to generate profits
versus sales to their customers. I expect to see a backlash in the
future when the bandwidth to cells run out...the iPhone market is
already seeing that.

TMT