Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default OT - Ebay Problems - Accessing pages

On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 06:56:21 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, nick
hull quickly quoth:

In article , "Tony"
wrote:

what's dialup? Is that like when you call up Ebay to place a bid over the
phone?

Where I live dialup is the only way to connect to the internet except
satellite (which I'll probably do soon). 24k is the best I get over the
phone line, no DSL possible.

I'm now on DSL and it's the best I've seen yet. A few tips on
satellite: FTP is slower than dialup due to the horrid latencies of
sat comm. Upload is at 56k. Download of large files is rapid, very
nice. Snow takes out the dish. Heavy rain takes out the dish. Sunspots
take out the dish. It's better than dialup, but not by too awfully
much. Latencies ruin video downloads quite often so it's best to
download vs. watching vid on satellite.

Go cable if you can do so now, DSL when they finally offer it.
The jump from dialup to sat is much like the jump from sat to DSL. The
differences are humongmous.

--

According to our strength of character and our clarity of vision, we will
endure, we will succeed, we will have contributed something to make life