Posted to rec.woodworking
RayV

Default accessing the wreck

My cable company doesn't provide newsgroups as part of my service so I
am using Google to read and post to the group.

Is there another way that I can access the group that will give me some
filtering capabilities and not have me filtered as a googler?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave Balderstone

In article .com,
RayV wrote:

My cable company doesn't provide newsgroups as part of my service so I
am using Google to read and post to the group.

Is there another way that I can access the group that will give me some
filtering capabilities and not have me filtered as a googler?

There are a variety of news providers you can subscribe to. I use
supernews.com
Posted to rec.woodworking
Zz Yzx

I use Agent ($29) and subscribe to their APN service (starts at
$2.95/mo).

Agent's filtering capabilities arer just OK, but w/ NFilter you should
be good to go.

Usual disclaimers apply.

-Zz

On 18 May 2006 05:39:01 -0700, "RayV" wrote:

My cable company doesn't provide newsgroups as part of my service so I
am using Google to read and post to the group.

Is there another way that I can access the group that will give me some
filtering capabilities and not have me filtered as a googler?

Posted to rec.woodworking
No

RayV wrote:
My cable company doesn't provide newsgroups as part of my service so I
am using Google to read and post to the group.

Is there another way that I can access the group that will give me some
filtering capabilities and not have me filtered as a googler?

I want free - I found this Italian place. Seems to work fine. Only thing
is it sometimes adds a signature. Yuck (Sorry guys)

http://www.x-privat.org/international.php

Posted to rec.woodworking
no(SPAM)vasys

RayV wrote:
My cable company doesn't provide newsgroups as part of my service so I
am using Google to read and post to the group.

Is there another way that I can access the group that will give me some
filtering capabilities and not have me filtered as a googler?

By your email address it looks like Comcast is your ISP. Per their web
site they DO provide news group service.

*****

The Comcast News server settings are as follows:

NNTP Server: newsgroups.comcast.net

User name: your Comcast.net Primary email address (example:
)

Password: your Comcast.net password

*****

See:

http://www.comcast.net/help/faq/inde...wsgroups118224

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

(Remove -SPAM- to send email)

Posted to rec.woodworking
Enoch Root

On 2006-05-18, Upscale ranted thusly:
"Dave Balderstone" wrote in message

There are a variety of news providers you can subscribe to. I use
supernews.com

Teranews is also a cheap alternative. For their basic service, they charge a
one time fee of something like $3.95. It provides access to all the usenet
groups.

That's amazing. I wonder if they are better at it than my provider. I
get occasional requests for a username/password authorization that their
tech support can neither explain, nor provide insight to (they usually
ask me if my computer is plugged in, or tell me to use IE or something.)

Any testimonials?

er
--
email not valid

Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman

"Enoch Root" wrote in message

tech support can neither explain, nor provide insight to (they usually
ask me if my computer is plugged in, or tell me to use IE or something.)

"Sir, put down the mouse and back away from the keyboard! ..."

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/6/06

Posted to rec.woodworking
RayV

Pretty observant there Jack. I no longer have Comcast as a service
provider since I moved, my ISP is now Patriot Media. I'm in what used
to be a sparsley populated part of the state that no big companies
wanted. I can't even get Verizon home phone service.

Hopefully Verizon & Comcast will buy up my part of NJ soon so I can get
back to real service...

Posted to rec.woodworking
Art Greenberg

On 18 May 2006 17:13:39 -0700, RayV wrote:
Pretty observant there Jack. I no longer have Comcast as a service
provider since I moved, my ISP is now Patriot Media. I'm in what used
to be a sparsley populated part of the state that no big companies
wanted. I can't even get Verizon home phone service.

Hopefully Verizon & Comcast will buy up my part of NJ soon so I can get
back to real service...

Ray,

Are you a United Telephone/Sprint customer? Sprint DSL comes with Earthlink,
and they have a fairly good news server.

--
Art

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mark & Juanita

On Thu, 18 May 2006 15:27:05 -0500, Enoch Root

On 2006-05-18, Upscale ranted thusly:
"Dave Balderstone" wrote in message

There are a variety of news providers you can subscribe to. I use
supernews.com

Teranews is also a cheap alternative. For their basic service, they charge a
one time fee of something like $3.95. It provides access to all the usenet
groups.

That's amazing. I wonder if they are better at it than my provider. I
get occasional requests for a username/password authorization that their
tech support can neither explain, nor provide insight to (they usually
ask me if my computer is plugged in, or tell me to use IE or something.)

Any testimonials?

How about an anti-testimonial? I subscribed to teranews after my ISP
(Direcway) decided that Usenet wasn't all that important and stopped
carrying newsgroups. I first tried the "free" service (initial setup cost
is something like $3.95). I had continual problems accessing the server,
often not being able to get updates to the group for days at a time,
binaries didn't load well -- I often was unable to download pictures from
abpw. There were some picture files that would literally hang my news
reader and require having to restart the newsreader. For some reason I
can't explain, I thought maybe the subscription Teranews service would be
better. It wasn't. I switched to Supernews before my Teranews
subscription had even expired and have never looked back. I can now see
all binary files from abpw and abpf and have never suffered any downtime
being able to access the servers.

er

Posted to rec.woodworking
Art Greenberg

On Thu, 18 May 2006 19:37:37 -0700, Mark & Juanita wrote:

How about an anti-testimonial?

[... snip ...]
I first tried the "free" service (initial setup cost is something like
$3.95). I had continual problems accessing the server, often not being
able to get updates to the group for days at a time, binaries didn't load
well -- I often was unable to download pictures from abpw. There were some
picture files that would literally hang my news reader and require having
to restart the newsreader. For some reason I can't explain, I thought
maybe the subscription Teranews service would be better. It wasn't. I
switched to Supernews before my Teranews subscription had even expired and
have never looked back. I can now see all binary files from abpw and abpf
and have never suffered any downtime being able to access the servers.

Mirrors my experience exactly. I signed up for Supernews within a few days of
signing up for Teranews. It was _that_ bad.

--
Art

Posted to rec.woodworking
RayV

I was but I dropped Sprint to go with Voip phone. Best price Sprint
would give me $65 a month for unlimited phone.

For those that are interested the Voip phone works fine and has never
gone down. The modem has a 4 hour battery in case of a power outage.
We also have cell phones just in case.

Got a 1 year deal for $115 a mo. that includes:
digital cable
digital phone
HBO (ten channels plus HBO on demand)
Internet

I think at the end of one year the price for all of this goes up to
around $753 a month, but I'll worry about that then. I'm one of those
people that switched long distance carriers every few months in the 80s
when they used to mail out those checks.

Why Is There Wreck? Tom Watson Woodworking 38 February 21st 06 02:51 AM
Project Finished, and a big thank you to the wreck Leuf Woodworking 17 July 23rd 05 05:35 AM
The Wreck - And Politics - And A New Pledge Tom Watson Woodworking 28 October 16th 04 02:24 AM
The Soft Wreck ? toller Woodworking 82 September 14th 04 09:50 PM
Psychopathology and The Wreck Tom Watson Woodworking 59 June 7th 04 03:26 PM