Peter Wells

Default Accessing roof vent

I've been trying to fix a tub that won't drain. First problem was that
there is a drum trap which I managed to open and clean out, it wasn't very
dirty. Now I think I need to snake from the roof vent however our roof it
pretty steep so I'm wondering if I should cut an access into the vent pipe
in the attic and work from there? The vent pipe is approx 2 inch diameter
and metal - is cutting a window in this and running a snake from there a
good approach?

Thanks,

Peter

SQLit

"Peter Wells" wrote in message
I've been trying to fix a tub that won't drain. First problem was that
there is a drum trap which I managed to open and clean out, it wasn't very
dirty. Now I think I need to snake from the roof vent however our roof it
pretty steep so I'm wondering if I should cut an access into the vent pipe
in the attic and work from there? The vent pipe is approx 2 inch diameter
and metal - is cutting a window in this and running a snake from there a
good approach?

Thanks,

Peter

No

Just climb up on the roof and start snaking from there.

You could try a quart of ammonia down the drain, then pour some hot water
down it.
Ammonia and the hot water will cut some clogs that chemicals will not
handle. At least it has worked for me in the past. I have also had good luck
with the rubber device that goes on the end of a hose that expands and then
shoots water under pressure into the pipe. You just have to get the water
jet inserted into the right place. I E a bit lower than the drain from your
tub.

Pitch and gravel roof? Terry UK diy 3 February 25th 04 02:43 PM
Pitch and gravel roof? Terry Home Repair 3 February 25th 04 02:43 PM
Ridge Vent Instalation Question C Cole Home Repair 6 November 3rd 03 11:37 PM
Installing vent thru tiled roof David UK diy 2 October 13th 03 04:54 PM
Bathroom vent through roof Alan James UK diy 6 July 8th 03 06:50 PM