Kirk Gordon

Default OT- Vast Left Beginners Guide to Fibbing

G. Wood wrote:

That was very good, KG, and I learned a lot from it. I can only offer
another personal opinion, that right now the unborn have just about
zero rights. In a country where our founders wrote that it is "self
evident" that everyone has the right to LIFE, liberty and the pursuit
of happiness, it seems to me that we completely overlook the life part
and focus on the pursuit of happiness as far as the abortion question
is concerned. Shouldn't a little attention be paid to life?

We ALL have personal opinions, GW. But those aren't the proper
basis for laws. If they were, then we'd all end up living with the
consequences of BILLIONS of personal opinions held by other people,
whether we liked them or not. (We already get too much of that, of
course; but it's not something to be encouraged.)

The right to life may have been self evident; but the definition of
"everyone" clearly was not. If you rely too literally or narrowly on
the exact words written by Jefferson, et al, then slavery should still
be legal, and women shouldn't be allowed to vote. (And, it might be
worth noting that the Declaration Of Independence is NOT the same as the
constitution.) Remember that many of the men who signed their names to
the documents you're quoting of were slave owners at the time. The most
important thing about what they wrote was their assumption that they
DIDN'T and COULDN'T know the answers to every question, or even what the
questions might be, some time in the future. They instead made sure
that we had a structured means for growing and changing our government
in ways that might not be forseeable to them, and that the government
would be limited by the people, instead of the other way around.

And no, we shouldn't pay "a little" attention to life. We should
pay a LOT of attention to it. I don't think there's much about the
abortion debate (in the legal arena at least) that truly includes anyone
pursuing happiness at the expense of life. The problem is defining what
"life" is, and whether the definition applies to an unborn child.

I suggested a couple possible definitions in a response to Ed's
thoughts, just a few minutes ago. If you're interested int MY personal
opinions, those might be worth a quick look.

KG

Jeff McCann

"Kirk Gordon" wrote in message
s.com...
Jeff McCann wrote:
Excellent analysis! Big round of applause for Ed!

nodding

Yup. Ed's got a pretty good head on him. That's why I find it so
interesting, and so much fun, to wrestle with him when I can.

KG

It's good to see the occasional intelligent discussion or debate on the
ol' infobahn once in a while. So many are so certain that they have
cornered the market on truth and enlightenment, and therefore adopt the
view of "I'm right just cuz I sez so, and you're not just wrong, but
evil, too" that reading, much less participating, becomes almost
pointless. Thank you.

Jeff

Kirk Gordon

Jeff McCann wrote:

It's good to see the occasional intelligent discussion or debate on the
ol' infobahn once in a while. So many are so certain that they have
cornered the market on truth and enlightenment, and therefore adopt the
view of "I'm right just cuz I sez so, and you're not just wrong, but
evil, too" that reading, much less participating, becomes almost
pointless. Thank you.

You mean I'm not always right, just 'cause I say so??

Damn! That changes everything! Now I'm gonna be grumpy all day.

KG

Kirk Gordon

Default Barren ground: (was Gunner's medical bills)

Gunner wrote:

We were discussing the killing of the unborn baby. Which is legal to
do. So if its legal to kill his daughter before she pops out the
chute..and you would not stop him from killing her while still in the
womb, why would you stop him one minute later after she has popped
out?

Because that one minute during which she "popped out" is legally
defined as the moment when she becomes human, and therefore HAS a right
to life that can't properly be taken away. It's not the length of time
that matters, but the all-important transition from non-human to human,
in the eyes of the law.

As Ed and I have been discussing elsewhere, the determination of
whether a fetus is human is the real core of this whole debate. I've
mentioned a couple suggestions about how and when humanity actually
begins, or what might be legally treated as its beginnings. If you're
interested, those might be worth a look.

KG

Lawrence Glickman

On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 22:23:15 GMT, Friday wrote:

And it (the Constitution) is the sole
basis upon which we can form laws. If we make one exception for
morality (and whose morality do we choose?), then the while thing goes
to hell.

Consider then that the whole thing has gone to Hell.

Friday

Santa Cruz Mike

On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 17:38:47 GMT, Kirk Gordon
wrote:

Gunner wrote:

[...]

How many people have been charged with invountary manslaugher, in the
last ten years, for causing the death of a pregnant woman's fetus?

How many have been charged with animal abuse for killing the unborn
puppies of a pregnant dog?

Mike

Santa Cruz Mike

On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 22:23:15 GMT, Friday wrote:

We were discussing the killing of the unborn baby. Which is legal to
do. So if its legal to kill his daughter before she pops out the
chute..and you would not stop him from killing her while still in the
womb, why would you stop him one minute later after she has popped
out?

Friday

Gunner

Just between you and me, Gunner, I'm against abortion on moral grounds.
BUT the Constitution of the United States of America, while far from
perfect, is the BEST framework for a civilized, free society that
anyone has come up with yet. And it (the Constitution) is the sole
basis upon which we can form laws. If we make one exception for
morality (and whose morality do we choose?), then the while thing goes
to hell.

Friday

Which constitution? The state constitutions.. or the modern
interpretation of the federal constitution that has been used to
undermine and control the state constitutions?

Mike

Ed Huntress

"Ned Simmons" wrote in message
In article idTGc.69545$kz.13495676
@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net, says...

Firstly, only humans have rights under law in the US. There is no
constitutional basis for establishing rights for anything other than a
human.

The unknown is the point at which a gestating fetus acquires the human

right
to due process under law. One traditional point of view is that this is

matter for elected legislatures to decide. Roe contradicted that by

saying
that there is no constitutional authority for legislatures to make such

decision *that would conflict with another, established right*. In other
words, state legislatures can make laws as long as they doesn't conflict
with rights. (Congress can only make laws that are within their

authority as
spelled out in the Constitution.)

I admit I've not read Roe, and don't know whether this
figures into the reasoning behind it, but the Constitution
and Bill of Rights make no mention of human or humans.
Rights are accorded to people, persons, or The People, not
humans. It seems to me, based on the dictionary definition
of human, that Roe could have gone the other way if the
word "human" was found in the Constitution in the proper
context. It's not there.

Ned Simmons

Right. When the word "human" appeared in this thread, I was going to say
something, but anything I could think of to say was doomed to send us off
into an irrelevant tangent, so I shut up about it. d8-)

Ed Huntress

Gunner

On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 22:23:15 GMT, Friday wrote:

Gunner

Just between you and me, Gunner, I'm against abortion on moral grounds.
BUT the Constitution of the United States of America, while far from
perfect, is the BEST framework for a civilized, free society that
anyone has come up with yet. And it (the Constitution) is the sole
basis upon which we can form laws. If we make one exception for
morality (and whose morality do we choose?), then the while thing goes
to hell.

Frankly..Im actually Pro Choice. However..I dont let the other folks
forget that they are (court mumble jumble aside) killing a human being
quite legally. I detest folks who think that meat comes from the
store in those little plastic containers, and abortion doesnt kill
babies.

Hence Im the thorn that pricks their concience.

Gunner

"The entire population of Great Britain has been declared insane by
their government. It is believed that should any one of them come in
possession of a firearm, he will immediately start to foam at the
mouth and begin kiling children at the nearest school. The proof of
their insanity is that they actually believe this."
-- someone in misc.survivalism

Ed Huntress

"G. Wood" wrote in message
om...
"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

et...
As a conservative yourself, G.W., I'm surprised and disappointed to see

that
you apparently grant only those rights that are spelled out in the
Constitution. The Constitution doesn't have to say that abortion, for

some
reason or any reason, is "right." What it has to say is that it's wrong;

or,
at the very least, it has to say explicitly that the government is

granted
authority to legislate about the subject in question. One way it could

do
that is to define when a fetus acquires the right to due process, but it
makes no comment upon that at all.

Thus, there is no such legislative authority granted in the

Constitution. So
a case like this reverts to a question of rights, potentially rights in
conflict. The basis on which the case was decided, and the present law

of
the land, is that there is no basis for the government to decide the
controversial question of when life begins. And so it defaults to the

rights
that *are* established, which includes the right to life of the mother

and
her privacy.

This sounded good until I thought about it. Do you mean to say that
all things which are against the law must be specifically spelled out
in the constitution? Are incest or polygamy or child porn or a
hundred other things rights? I don't believe that the constitution
specifically says they are wrong but we still have laws against them.
Maybe since they aren't specifically spelled out in the constitution
we could legalize them under rights which *are* established like the
right to life of the perpetrator or his privacy.

You're right, I expressed that badly. I was trying too hard to hoist the
conservative position on its own petard. g

I'm really wary of boiling this down to a few principles because it can
start an endless string of arguments about exceptions and caveats, etc.,
but, for the sake of correcting that impression I gave above, let me try:

Regarding the authority of Congress to make laws under the Constitution, the
purist point of view is the one I gave above. Congress's authorities are
theoretically explicit and severely limited.

In practice, however, the Court has almost always deferred to Congress's
authority except when it conflicts with a right. If there is no conflict
with established, individual rights, or a conflict between federal authority
and states' "rights," the Court usually won't hear a case challenging a law.
Congress or the state gets to legislate as it wants to in those situations.
There always seems to be some plausible interpretation of Congress's
authorities and responsibilities, often expressed as the need to administer
some law or agency or to effect some government responsibility, which can be
construed to grant Congress constitutional authority to legislate. This
drives some libertarians up a wall, but it's the way the Court has always
decided such cases and it's a long-established fact of US law.

But someone will claim a violation of their right for almost anything that
Congress legislates. If they bring a case, the Court first decides if the
case is substantive, if the plaintiff has legal standing to bring such a
case, and if there is a right involved. If there is, the Court may regard
the infringement as something substantial enough to try. If it's tried, the
Court decides if the State has a compelling interest to limit or to deny the
individual right. This is NOT a conservative-versus-liberal issue. In fact,
conservative courts are somewhat more likely to defer to Congress than
liberal courts are in these cases.

Without getting into the more complicated area of states' rights, that's the
historical/legal environment in which cases like Roe are decided. If there
was no conflict between anti-abortion laws and a mother's rights, it's
unlikely the Court would even have heard the case. The anti-abortion
legislation would have been allowed to stand.

But the Roe case had a strong basis on which to determine that a right
potentially had been infringed -- the mother's life and her health -- and a
somewhat weaker one, which is her right to privacy. Justice Rehnquist
(rightly, IMO) said this is stretching the concept of privacy rights too
far. But he failed to show any basis for a compelling interest on the part
of the state to limit that right, so even an equivocal right, like privacy,
will prevail against no right at all. His dissenting argument in Roe was
logically good but legally weak. There appears to be no strong argument
against the crucial point of the Roe decision, which is that the state has
no Constitutional basis on which to establish rights for the unborn. So far,
that is.

If you have a legal argument that opposes this, rather than just an

opinion
about how things ought to be, it will be interesting to hear it.

Right now I'm kinda short on legal opinions but I have no shortage of
personal opinions. It just seems to me that basic logic says it's not
right to kill an innocent human being. The same logic tells me that
when you have two conflicting rights the greater one should take
precedence. The right to be born should be more important than the
lifestyle or the privacy of the parent(s).

That's a common point of view, and moral opinions are the things that drive
our concept of rights in the first place. So I'm not arguing against your
opinion. It could one day become the strongly prevailing one, and it could
then become ensconsed in a Constitional amendment, establishing rights for
the unborn.

In fact, that's how the common law evolved: as the set of prevailing
opinions about what is fair versus unfair, good versus bad, right versus
wrong. Unless you believe in some mystical or supernatural basis for the
rights we have identified in our Constitution, that's where they all came
from to begin with.

But we more than most people in the world tend to defend the rights we've
identified, in our Bill of Rights and through the actions of the courts to
uphold individual rights, against the whims of popular opinion. We try to
stick to that principle even when it hurts. It makes a lot of people angry
at the courts. That, BTW, is a good indicator that they're sticking to
principle in a lot of cases where it would be easier to pander to popular
opinion. Lots of people hate one thing or another about the way courts
decide cases of rights.

If you buy our concept of individual rights and if you're prepared to accept
decisions that you don't like, but which adhere to strict and honest
interpretation of constitutional principles, and to the logic that derives
from them, you have one hell of a job ahead of you to deny the validity and
the decision of Roe v. Wade. The legal reasoning of it is considered hard to
fault. The *result* is faulted by many people. But unless they're willing to
throw principle out the window and to *adjudicate for results* (a
disparaging phrase used to describe courts that pander to opinion, rather
than sticking to constitutional principle), the only legitimate recourse for
them is to work for passage of a Constititional amendment.

--
Ed Huntress
(remove "3" from email address for email reply)

Gunner

On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 05:02:21 GMT, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

*adjudicate for results* (a
disparaging phrase used to describe courts that pander to opinion, rather
than sticking to constitutional principle),

Oh...like California!

Gunner

"The entire population of Great Britain has been declared insane by
their government. It is believed that should any one of them come in
possession of a firearm, he will immediately start to foam at the
mouth and begin kiling children at the nearest school. The proof of
their insanity is that they actually believe this."
-- someone in misc.survivalism
Cliff Huprich

In article , Gunner
writes:

Frankly..Im actually Pro Choice.

Then you are voting for Kerry, right?

However..I dont let the other folks
forget that they are (court mumble jumble aside) killing a human

being
quite legally

Nope.
First you must define "human being" and provide solid foorp.
It may compare more to trimming a hangnail or getting a haircut.
--
Cliff
Ed Huntress

"G. Wood" wrote in message
m...
Kirk Gordon wrote in message

ws.com...

snip
The debate will NEVER end, of course, because we're not even arguing
about the right things.

KG

That was very good, KG, and I learned a lot from it. I can only offer
another personal opinion, that right now the unborn have just about
zero rights. In a country where our founders wrote that it is "self
evident" that everyone has the right to LIFE, liberty and the pursuit
of happiness, it seems to me that we completely overlook the life part
and focus on the pursuit of happiness as far as the abortion question
is concerned. Shouldn't a little attention be paid to life?

What is "everyone"? What "life"? You make these statements as if you have
the answers. Where did you get those answers?

Ed Huntress

G. Wood

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message . net...
"G. Wood" wrote in message
[...]

What a pleasure it was to read this thoughtful response. I hope others
will notice that people can have a discussion without using personal
attacks.
G.W.

Ed Huntress

"Kirk Gordon" wrote in message
s.com...

I'll accept the idea of conflicting rights as a matter of semantics,
I guess; but I can't think of how or why I'd have come into conflict
with someone else's rights when I was 13 years old and needed a job;

Children have always been subject to protections by the state, from
exploitation and other abuses. It's embedded deep in common law. It's

best
to stick to adults if you want to reason your way through this.

or if I'd wanted to smoke cigarettes before I was 18.

You're still dealing with children.

These were minor points and examples, so I don't plan to dwell on
them; but it sounds like you're saying (or interpreting the law to say)
that my needs or desires came into conflict with the plans and policies
of the people who were responsible for protecting me. That's not at all
the same as a conflict between my rights and those of someone else.

As a child, you don't have the legal authority to make those decisions for
yourself. Your parents and/or the state presume to make many decisions for
you. That principle is ancient, is embedded in common law, and has been
upheld by the courts.

If you want to argue against it in the abstract, you won't be the first. But
the legal principles under which such decisions are made are beyond any
question of common law. The Constitition wasn't created in a vacuum. The
principles of human rights existed before it was written. The Constitution
protects rights, it doesn't create them.

And dealing with children is sorta necessary if we're to talk
sensibly about abortion issues.

No. Children are not fetuses, and there is no historical reason to believe
that fetuses should be treated as children. The idea that they might be is
novel, is relatively recent, and was not accepted at the time the
Constitution was written. If you're going to grant human rights to fetuses,
you have to create a new principle of rights under law. In the US, that
means you need an amendment.

BTW, to keep things on track, I'm not arguing whether the result of Roe is
morally right. I'm trying to discuss how our legal mechanisms work, and how
they produced the Roe decision. A large minority of the people of the US, or
maybe a modest majority, doesn't like the result of Roe. Their problem is
with the Constitution and the way our legal system itself works, not with
the Supreme Court's decision. Most constitutional scholars feel that Roe was
legally right, whether or not they also think it was morally wrong.

It happens. Sometimes we have a majority that's unhappy with a Court
decision concerning rights. They want a different decision. But if they try
to get their decision by making up a right that has no basis in law, all
they do is bugger up the system. Then, when you really need a system that
protects rights, you find that you don't have it anymore. You buggered it up
for the sake of getting a particular result, and you damaged the system in
the process. That's what Bork means by "adjudication for results." And it's
why people who care about the law hate the idea of making legal decisions
that way.

Our system for changing big Constitutional issues and mechanisms is the
process of amendment. It's hard to pass an amendment. In general, it ought
to be hard. It ought to reflect the opinion of a *large* majority, not a
bare one. If you change the Constitution on the basis of simple majority
opinion, you wind up with no rights at all. Everything then becomes subject
to the whim of a bare majority -- possibly one that swings back and forth
over time.

That's all I'm saying about the result of Roe. I haven't commented on
whether I like the result. I'll try to avoid doing so as long as we're
having this discussion.

If a fetus is ever legally defined as
human...

Ok, you want to define it on the basis of what is "human." That's a term
that exists in the scientific realm, based on genetics and scientific
taxonomy. If you have an argument that the Enlightenment concepts of human
rights is a biological issue, you have an uphill battle to argue it. Sooner
or later you will confront the question of why rights should be defined on
the basis of biology, and you will find yourself making it all up, because
there is nothing to back up that idea.

BTW, that's the first tack that animal-rights supporters take. They point
out that the scientific basis of rights for humans is purely arbitrary. It
is. But rights aren't a biological question.

The whole concept of rights resides in a philosophical/spiritual
dimension -- not necessarily religious, but very close to it. So the issue
of when life begins, from a scientific point of view, is unrelated to when a
person acquires a right to due process. The scientific issue doesn't address
the moral, legal, or spiritual issues that actually have determined our
principles of rights.

Other legal questions which deal logically and
successfully (or not) with the specific needs of minors might give some
valuable clues to the proper approach (if there is one) to the rights,
needs, or general legal standing, of the unborn.

Well, give it a try. See what those clues are, and where they take you.

And issues of
discrimination are only conflicts if you accept the idea that a consumer
who walks into my place of business has a "right" to shop there.

That's a question of how far civil liberties go. Notice, in contrast to

Roe,
there is no question that there are civil rights involved here, and that
people have a right to equal treatment under law. You can argue,

however,
whether extending that to treatment in places of public accomodation

(your
place of business) is appropriate.

I'm arguing that the definition of "civil liberties" as "rights" for
consumers is a de facto abrogation of the rights of businesspeople.

That's fine, you can argue that. In fact, that's a principle of contemporary
libertarian thought, which places freedom of association very high on their
list of rights. In the current legal realm of rights, most of their
arguments have lost the legal battles, for reasons with which anyone over
the age of 50 or 55 probably has personal experience, whether or not they
agree with them, or whether they like them.

That's not just a conflict. It's an example of laws which have
effectively defined a class of people to whom certain rights don't
apply.

Nope. Their rights have been limited because the courts have decided that
federal legislation limiting the right of association is justified by a
compelling state interest, which is providing equal opportunity in every
pertinent aspect of our society. It doesn't say you don't have a right of
association, only that your right to discriminate is limited in any place of
public accommodation you may own.

You point out that the constitution and the legislative process
aren't supposed to define rights. And Harlan's "right to be left alone"
is exactly right in my mind. But our laws DO establish definitions,
whether they should or not. They also, routinely, establish "rights"
which are little more than codified social conventions.

In one sense, all rights are codified social conventions, or socially
accepted principles of moral right. The Constitution defines the realm of
rights, which includes, through the 9th and 10th Amendments, rights that may
not yet be defined. There are rights that aren't written down yet, in other
words. But it doesn't limit what those rights are -- or it shouldn't, in the
opinion of most of us.

The common example is the right to privacy, which has been supported in
small ways through many Court decisions, and in a bigger way by Griswold v
Connecticut sometime in the mid-'60s. The Court tries to determine which
unwritten rights fit into the pattern and the principles of our system of
rights -- the right to be left alone, if you're so inclined.

The definitions you are talking about usually aren't rights under law.
They're laws. They're subject to court review. The courts may uphold or
reject them. If they're eventually upheld as a right, it's because the
courts have determined that these are among those "rights not enumerated,"
covered by the 9th and 10th.

I'm well aware of the popular attitude toward all of this, but it's mostly a
pile of baloney. If you want, give us an example of these "codified social
conventions," and let's see if it's a right or not; that is, if it ought to
be a right, or if it's really treated as a right by the courts, or merely a
law that our legislators are Constitutionally authorized to write.

In Roe, there is no established right on one side of
the issue. The Court also held that there is no constitutional basis on
which one could be established.

Exactly. The constitution wasn't originally construed to include
negroes as human, or women as fully human.

I'm troubled by your use of "human" in this context. I don't think you mean
"human." You really mean "entitled to due process." I don't think the
Founders would have denied that women are fully "human." g

It took constitutional
ammendments (13, 15, and 19) to expand the definition. But the civil
rights act of 1964, and all the derivative legislation that's expanded
civil "rights" to include matters of gender, age, physical disabilities,
etc., were just laws - passed by congress, signed by presidents, and
upheld repeatedly by the courts. And current legal battles of a similar
type are being fought over gay "rights", among other things. And there
will surely be other such battles in the future. Aren't those examples
of "rights" being extablished by legislation, and NOT by the
constitution?

For the most part, no. The right they address is the right to equal
treatment. The laws enacted to effect equal treatment are simply laws. They
can change through further legislation or through court review of their
constitutionality. For example, college affirmative-action admission
policies are in a state of flux right now because of Court decisions.

And haven't the courts been supportive?

Usually. If the courts recognize a right (the right to equal treatment, for
example), they tend to defer to Congress and the state legislatures when
they write laws designed to ensure the right is upheld under law. In
general, the courts leave the legislatures alone unless they write laws that
the courts determine have infringed upon individual rights. Then they have
to decide what has to be done -- if anything -- about the law that so
infringes.

The unknown is the point at which a gestating fetus acquires the human

right
to due process under law. One traditional point of view is that this is

matter for elected legislatures to decide. Roe contradicted that by

saying
that there is no constitutional authority for legislatures to make such

decision *that would conflict with another, established right*. In other
words, state legislatures can make laws as long as they doesn't conflict
with rights. (Congress can only make laws that are within their

authority as
spelled out in the Constitution.)

Sure. The argument is almost entirely a religious one, which becomes a
philosophical one in a secular government. If there is no constitutional
basis to establish a right, then the philosophical position that fetuses
have rights can only be effected by way of an amendment to the

Constitution.

It's also worth considering, I think, that any attempt to actually
define an unborn baby as human, and to respect even a limited set of
rights, is an absolutely unique and unparalleled problem for a more
basic reason than just precedent or religious/moral matters. There are
no other legal questions I can think of in which two different entities,
each with rights and each entitled to legal protection, happen to
inhabit the same body.

My hand has no legal standing to sue my ear. My face can't file a
criminal complaint against my foot, if the foot happens to slip off the
brake pedal and cause my face to get mashed against the steering wheel.
In fact, even parts of me that are separated from my body (blood
donations, or cells stored in a semen-bank, or tissues removed by
surgery - which might have been viable if they hadn't been separated
from the rest of me), aren't considered by law to have rights of their
own, which might come into conflict with my rights as a whole human

being.

Well, all of that is interesting, but it begs the question. If you take

that
point of view you're saying, simply, that an unborn fetus is part of the
mother, and nothing more, until the time of birth.

I can imagine two potential definitions that might be the basis for
reasonable decisions about when/if a fetus could be recognized as human.
The first would be that a fetus IS nothing more than part of its
mother until the time of birth, or at least until the time that it COULD
be born alive and viable, and could be expected to survive without its
mother.

That's the traditional view under common law. I believe it also is the
majority opinion today, but I don't know the current state of public opinion
on it for sure.

If a competent medical doctor can say with a high degree of
confidence that an unborn child, at any point in it's development,
remains a part of its mother only by choice, convenience, or convention,
and that it WOULD be a viable human child if delivered (as by C-section,
maybe), then the law might treat it as human, regarless of where it
lived. Prior to becoming viable (or potentially viable) on its own, the
fetus would be considered indistinct from its mother.

Again, that's the traditional view, based on conventional morality. In Roe,
it faces the problem that there is no *legal* basis for making that
determination. When moral beliefs conflict with the law, whether the "law"
we're talking about is a piece of legislation or an established right under
the Constitution, then the proper recourse is to change the law, or the
Constitution.

The second definition is one suggested by Carl Sagan in "The Dragons
of Eden." During the early stages of gestation - approximately the
first twelve weeks - a human fetus is in many fundamental ways more like
a fish or an amphibian than a human being. Sagan suggests that the
fetus doesn't become human, or even something that biologically
resembles a human being, until it develops the particular anatomical
feature which distinguishes humans from other animals at ALL stages of
its life. That feature is the neocortex. In Sagan's view, the
beginnings of neocortical activity in the developing brain (which can be
detected by EEG technology) marks the moment at which a fetus first
becomes more like a human being than like a fish or a frog. I find it
interesting, if incidental, that this idea coincides with our current
thinking about abortion being "preferable" during the first trimester of
pregnancy, but problematic later on.

It's an interesting view, but just a scientific codification of the
moral/philosophical question that exists prior to the science. You still
need a basis for deciding why this developmental differentiation is the
critical one that embues a fetus with human rights: as the Court puts it, a
right to due process. You're still dependent upon a spiritual, moral, or
philosophical justification.

Obviously, neither of these ideas is all that simple or
straightforward; but there needs to be SOME logical standard on which
debate and decisions are grounded.

Not necessarily. Morality, spirituality, and some would say, philosophy,
don't necessarily require logic. A mother doesn't apply logic when she feels
love for her child. You don't apply logic when you decide that you will die
to defend your country. You need a well-grounded basis, spiritual to at
least some degree, for distinguishing right from wrong. Or you need human
instinct, as in the case of the mother and her child.

When you peel away the layers of sophistry that are applied to explain the
"logic" of human rights, you wind up in a place like one of those above.
There is no other place that isn't arbitrary. There is no other place that
serves as a center of gravity, to which all arguments return. What you need
more than logic, in other words, is something close to a consensus of
sympathy for the idea that something is a "right."

It seems to me that we're in agreement about what Roe v.Wade is, Ed,
and about why. But I don't share your optimism about our goverernment
being truly and consistently guided by the principles of the
constitution.

It isn't a belief that it always adheres to its own standards. It's a
question of whether you're going to support those standards, or excuse
yourself from the responsibility of self-governance because you don't like
some of the results.

And a debate that's so deeply intertwined with issues of
faith, personal sensitivities, and political posturing, is one that is
NEVER likely to be handled logically, or with anything other than the
most selective and subjective references to constitutional precedents.
Roe was a remarkable exception to that, which is part of why I find it
so important and powerful. But exceptions aren't enough, and I really
do believe that this will go on forever.

And no, I don't think it really matters whether people are always
evenly divided. The debate was a loud and nasty one when states DID
have laws limiting or prohibiting abortion. And it's been loud and
nasty SINCE 1973. And it'll continue to be loud and nasty if/when the
pendulum swings the other way.

Cheers!

Ok, cheers to you, too. d8-)

Ed Huntress

Ed Huntress

"G. Wood" wrote in message
om...

What a pleasure it was to read this thoughtful response. I hope others
will notice that people can have a discussion without using personal
attacks.
G.W.

Thanks, G.W., but it's too darned hard to do that very often. It's a lot
easier to just tell someone to go f**k their pet goat. That's our default
position on this NG. g

Ed Huntress

MushHead

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message
et...
"G. Wood" wrote in message
om...

What a pleasure it was to read this thoughtful response. I hope others
will notice that people can have a discussion without using personal
attacks.
G.W.

Thanks, G.W., but it's too darned hard to do that very often. It's a lot
easier to just tell someone to go f**k their pet goat. That's our default
position on this NG. g

Ed Huntress

So Ed hows the "Maching" Magazine doing?
Though I do not often agree with you, you do write well

Ed Huntress

"MushHead" wrote in message
et...

So Ed hows the "Maching" Magazine doing?
Though I do not often agree with you, you do write well

Thanks, MushHead. I'm only a contributing editor to Machining these days,
but it looks like things are picking up there, after a long dry spell. They
have some interesting people contributing articles, too.

Ed Huntress

Bob Yates

Ned Simmons wrote:
In article idTGc.69545$kz.13495676
@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net, says...

Firstly, only humans have rights under law in the US. There is no
constitutional basis for establishing rights for anything other than a
human.

The unknown is the point at which a gestating fetus acquires the human right
to due process under law. One traditional point of view is that this is a
matter for elected legislatures to decide. Roe contradicted that by saying
that there is no constitutional authority for legislatures to make such a
decision *that would conflict with another, established right*. In other
words, state legislatures can make laws as long as they doesn't conflict
with rights. (Congress can only make laws that are within their authority as
spelled out in the Constitution.)

I admit I've not read Roe, and don't know whether this
figures into the reasoning behind it, but the Constitution
and Bill of Rights make no mention of human or humans.
Rights are accorded to people, persons, or The People, not
humans. It seems to me, based on the dictionary definition
of human, that Roe could have gone the other way if the
word "human" was found in the Constitution in the proper
context. It's not there.

Ned Simmons

Seems to be a general overlooking of the background to Roe v. Wade.
Check out San Antonio v. Rodriguez and Buck v. Bell.

In Buck v. Bell, 274 U.S. 200 (1927), the Court refused to recognize a
substantive constitutional guarantee of the right to procreate.

In San Antonio v. Rodriguez, 411 U.S. 1 (1973), the Supreme Court held
that there is no federal constitutional right to an education. A bit
more obtuse in it's relation to Roe v. Wade, you would need to read the
court's decision for the reasoning, I am afraid I would just butcher it.
Ed Huntress

"Bob Yates" wrote in message
nk.net...
Ned Simmons wrote:
[...]

If those have been cited as precedent for Roe, it's over my head. San
Antonio was heard the very day before Roe was re-heard (the first Roe v.
Wade hearing fell apart because both attorneys screwed up). It was decided a
couple of months after Roe. Buck was a case in which the state *was*
presumed to have a compelling interest, which is almost the opposite of what
was decided in Roe.

So, you've got me. Roe cites a number of precedents, Griswold being a key
one, but I wasn't aware of these two.

Ed Huntress

Bob Yates

Ed Huntress wrote:
"Bob Yates" wrote in message
nk.net...

Ned Simmons wrote:

[...]

http://members.aol.com/abtrbng/410us113.htm Roe v. Wade multiple pages
to go through here

http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/cgi-bi...=274&invol=200
Buck v. Bell

http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/script...ol=411&invol=1
San Antonio v. Rodriguez As I said a bit obtuse and not directly
mentioned,so I probably should not have mentioned it.
Ed Huntress

"Bob Yates" wrote in message
nk.net...
Ed Huntress wrote:
"Bob Yates" wrote in message
nk.net...

Ned Simmons wrote:

[...]

I'm going to have to leave this one to you. I see that Douglas, in his
separate, concurring opinion, brings up Buck. But only as an aside, talking
about the establishment of the state's compelling interest in this area. And
then he rejects the interest of the state in the first trimester, as did the
majority opinion as written by Blackmun.

I didn't see San Antonio anywhere in the citations. So I'm guessing that
you're talking about some lawyers' analysis and exegesis of the Roe case
that I'm not aware of.

This is a good time to remark that I am not a lawyer. g

Ed Huntress