Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
none

Default Keeping Walls Clean - clear plexiglass sheet?

I just inherited responsibility for a small prototyping shop at my
office. The walls are very dirty around the milling machine. I'm
planning to get them repainted, and was wondering if it is worthwhile to
cover them with clear polycarbonate (or whatever) to make them more
washable.

Any cost-effective ideas or tips?

Thanks,

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Speechless

On Sun, 28 May 2006 11:38:43 GMT, none wrote:

I just inherited responsibility for a small prototyping shop at my
office. The walls are very dirty around the milling machine. I'm
planning to get them repainted, and was wondering if it is worthwhile to
cover them with clear polycarbonate (or whatever) to make them more
washable.

Any cost-effective ideas or tips?

Do what big corporations do -- get rid of the milling machine and
contract the work out to China where they like the smell of cooling
fluid splattered on their walls.

Thanks,

Stan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Anthony

none wrote in
:

I just inherited responsibility for a small prototyping shop at my
office. The walls are very dirty around the milling machine. I'm
planning to get them repainted, and was wondering if it is worthwhile
cover them with clear polycarbonate (or whatever) to make them more
washable.

Smoked Poly carb looks better, or you can go with 1/4" PVC sheet.
Either will keep the junk off the wall and make for an easier clean up.
The problem with poly carb is the scratches will show more readily from
wiping chips off of it, while the PVC sheet sort of hides them.

--
Anthony

better idiots.

Remove sp to reply via email
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Never_Enough_Tools

"none" wrote in message
I just inherited responsibility for a small prototyping shop at my office.
The walls are very dirty around the milling machine. I'm planning to get
them repainted, and was wondering if it is worthwhile to cover them with
clear polycarbonate (or whatever) to make them more washable.

Any cost-effective ideas or tips?

Thanks,

Stan

There is a product called FRP board, Kinda like a fiberglass panel about
1/8" thick, with a pebble finish. Very tough and Fireproof....You can also
get all types of trim pieces for the edges or joining panels, etc. A good
building supply should know of it.....

HTH

Jeff

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C.

none wrote:

I just inherited responsibility for a small prototyping shop at my
office. The walls are very dirty around the milling machine. I'm
planning to get them repainted, and was wondering if it is worthwhile to
cover them with clear polycarbonate (or whatever) to make them more
washable.

Any cost-effective ideas or tips?

Thanks,

Stan

Use FRP panels, they're fire rated, fully washable and the norm for food
prep areas that can get just as filthy. Pretty common, even Home Cheapo
and Blowe's carry them. You can also investigate splash guards for the
mill to help contain the funk.

Pete C.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jim rozen

In article , none says...

I just inherited responsibility for a small prototyping shop at my
office. The walls are very dirty around the milling machine. I'm
planning to get them repainted, and was wondering if it is worthwhile to
cover them with clear polycarbonate (or whatever) to make them more
washable.

I grew up in a house with three sons, and the kitchen trash can always
had a 'splatter zone' on the wall in back of it, as we used the wall
as a backstop. I put a 1/16 inch thick plexiglass panel on the wall
behind it and that made cleanup a *lot* easier. The idea is a good
one.

Jim

please reply to:
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Too_Many_Tools

Depending how the supply ordering situation is around the office, I
have seen where others will use a few plastic carpet protectors from
the neighboring offices to lie the walls and contain the mess.

Cheap, efficient and your coworkers won't even notice them missing ;).

TMT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On Sun, 28 May 2006 13:29:10 GMT, Anthony
wrote:

none wrote in
:

I just inherited responsibility for a small prototyping shop at my
office. The walls are very dirty around the milling machine. I'm
planning to get them repainted, and was wondering if it is worthwhile
cover them with clear polycarbonate (or whatever) to make them more
washable.

Smoked Poly carb looks better, or you can go with 1/4" PVC sheet.
Either will keep the junk off the wall and make for an easier clean up.
The problem with poly carb is the scratches will show more readily from
wiping chips off of it, while the PVC sheet sort of hides them.

A number of my shops simply buy a roll of linoleum floor covering and
glue it to the walls. Works just hunky dorry and is cheap. Easy to
clean and rugged enough.

Gunner

"If thy pride is sorely vexed when others disparage your offering, be
as lamb's wool is to cold rain and the Gore-tex of Odin's raiment
is to gull**** in the gale, for thy angst shall vex them not at
all. Yea, they shall scorn thee all the more. Rejoice in
sharing what you have to share without expectation of adoration,
knowing that sharing your treasure does not diminish your treasure
but enriches it."

- Onni 1:33
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Louis Ohland

If you do go with plexi, it heats up real quick when you drill. Try brad
points to keep cracking down.

none wrote:
I just inherited responsibility for a small prototyping shop at my
office. The walls are very dirty around the milling machine. I'm
planning to get them repainted, and was wondering if it is worthwhile to
cover them with clear polycarbonate (or whatever) to make them more
washable.

Any cost-effective ideas or tips?

Thanks,

Stan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
xray

On Sun, 28 May 2006 14:09:21 -0400, Brian Lawson
wrote:

Hot chips stick to Plexiglas like **** to a blanket

Remind me never to go on a picnic with you. :-)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ff

none wrote:

I just inherited responsibility for a small prototyping shop at my
office. The walls are very dirty around the milling machine. I'm
planning to get them repainted, and was wondering if it is worthwhile
to cover them with clear polycarbonate (or whatever) to make them
more washable.

Any cost-effective ideas or tips?

Thanks,

Stan

I've seen sheets of white 1/8" polypropolene used for that.

Fred
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Greg O

"none" wrote in message
I just inherited responsibility for a small prototyping shop at my office.
The walls are very dirty around the milling machine. I'm planning to get
them repainted, and was wondering if it is worthwhile to cover them with
clear polycarbonate (or whatever) to make them more washable.

Any cost-effective ideas or tips?

Thanks,

Stan

Ya know, I am ashamed at all of you! After all this is a metalworking group,
or am I mistaken?!
How about a couple of sheets of 26 gauge stainless steel, then gently cross
brake them into a pleasing diamond pattern, and glue them to the wall?
Greg