Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Spr0ket

Default Best way to clean hand prints off walls?

I have 2 little ones, ages 2 and 4. Has anyone come up with the
"silver bullet" for cleaning hand prints off walls? Right now were
just using a bucket and sponge with hot soapy water. Is there anything
better?

JC

Maybe I'm not understanding the question, but doesn't that depend on
what they stained the walls with? Peanut butter prints will prbably
easier to clean then fingerpaint...

Also it depends on the type of paint on the wall. Flat is harder to
clean then eggshell or gloss. That's probably why there's no "silver
bullet" for this type of situation.

Luke

On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 10:55:24 -0400, Spr0ket
wrote:

I have 2 little ones, ages 2 and 4. Has anyone come up with the
"silver bullet" for cleaning hand prints off walls? Right now were
just using a bucket and sponge with hot soapy water. Is there anything
better?

Wait 16 to 28 years then repaint ;-).

--
Luke
"I had other priorities in the '60s than military service."

Spr0ket wrote:
I have 2 little ones, ages 2 and 4. Has anyone come up with the
"silver bullet" for cleaning hand prints off walls? Right now were
just using a bucket and sponge with hot soapy water. Is there anything
better?

JC

Mr. Clean Magic Pads. I really wish they had them when my kids were
that little! The use of the word "magic" is not false advertising IMHO!

ameijers

.. .

"Spr0ket" wrote in message
I have 2 little ones, ages 2 and 4. Has anyone come up with the
"silver bullet" for cleaning hand prints off walls? Right now were
just using a bucket and sponge with hot soapy water. Is there anything
better?

Scrubbable paint below the 5-foot line? Little kids are like puppies- and I
say that as someone who loves kids. Forget about having a shiny house till
they reach about high school age- it ain't gonna happen. Keep the kids
degreased as much as possible, clean up the worst oopsies as they happen,
and don't lose sleep over it. Buy a stack of shop rags at the discount
palace, and keep a bottle of 409 or similar near where the messes usually
happen. 2 and 4 are old enough to start gently training in the joys of
handwashing as the final step of messy activities like eating. Making
everyplace but the kitchen/dining area or back yard a 'no food zone' helps,
too. (Trouble is, they have to see the grownups following the same rule, to
have someone to copy.)

aem sends...

Tracey

"Spr0ket" wrote in message
I have 2 little ones, ages 2 and 4. Has anyone come up with the
"silver bullet" for cleaning hand prints off walls? Right now were
just using a bucket and sponge with hot soapy water. Is there anything
better?

Try the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser.

TKM

.. .

"Spr0ket" wrote in message
I have 2 little ones, ages 2 and 4. Has anyone come up with the
"silver bullet" for cleaning hand prints off walls? Right now were
just using a bucket and sponge with hot soapy water. Is there anything
better?

JC

My cleaning kit for two kids from baby to high school age was a small
powerful vacuum for crumbs and spilled dry messes such as powder or bits of
paper plus paper towels and a bottle of standard Windex (the blue stuff).
The Windex worked beautifully on painted walls, woodwork and other hard
surfaces. but I also used it on carpet or upholstery stains -- never had a
problem.

At high school age, they did the clean up themselves. Didn't notice that
the incidence of messes changed much though.

TKM

shinypenny

Spr0ket wrote:
I have 2 little ones, ages 2 and 4. Has anyone come up with the
"silver bullet" for cleaning hand prints off walls? Right now were
just using a bucket and sponge with hot soapy water. Is there anything
better?

JC

Try hot cooked spaghetti. Ever notice when you throw it on the wall to
see if it sticks (meaning it's done) it leaves a clean white imprint?

jen

(okay, really, I'm just kidding... it wouldn't be all that practical to
clean with spaghetti. Um, but the kiddies would have fun trying!)