Paul Baygents

Default Run caps?

So I've got my converter running. However, I was told that by adding
run capacitors I could lower the needed Amps to drive the idler?
Is this true? If so would I simply put them inline on the incoming 220
hot leads going to the idler? Or else where?

Thanks,
Paul

Dan Cassaro

Paul,
There are different setups (balanced and unbalanced). Mine is an unbalanced,
with one cap between each "real" 220V leg and the "manufactured" third leg.
Getting the right sizing takes some experimentation and a voltmeter. A
clamp-on ammeter is handy, too. I started with 15uF per HP, or 150uF on my
10HP idler. As I recall, my final set was 160uF from L1-L3, and 40uF from
L2-3.
Be very careful when adding caps. Make certain the caps are rated as run
caps, and have a voltage rating above 220V.
There's a LOT of good info on the web, so hit Google and search for "rotary
phase converter".
Dan

"Paul Baygents" wrote in message
So I've got my converter running. However, I was told that by adding
run capacitors I could lower the needed Amps to drive the idler?
Is this true? If so would I simply put them inline on the incoming 220
hot leads going to the idler? Or else where?

Thanks,
Paul

Gary Coffman

On Sun, 21 Mar 2004 19:58:30 -0800, "Paul Baygents" wrote:
So I've got my converter running. However, I was told that by adding
run capacitors I could lower the needed Amps to drive the idler?

Yes.

Is this true? If so would I simply put them inline on the incoming 220
hot leads going to the idler? Or else where?

There are two different uses for run caps in a converter. You can
use them as balance caps to equalize the phase voltages, and you
can use them as power factor correction caps to lower reactive
current draw from your electrical service.

Balance caps connect between L1 and L3, and between L2 and L3.
(L3 is the "wild" or manufactured leg). Typical values are in the range
of 20 to 40 microfarads per horsepower. Note that the amount of
capacitance between L1 and L3 will probably be different from the
amount of capacitance between L2 and L3 at the point of best balance.
You have to experiment to find the exact values for your particular
motor. (Paralleling a number of lower value capacitors lets you form
any value you actually need.)

Note, you'll want to balance the converter so the wild leg voltage is
a bit high when unloaded, and sags a bit low under full load. You
can't get it to be *exactly* the same as the other legs under both
unloaded and fully loaded conditions. If you can balance L1 to L3
and L2 to L3 within 10% of L1 to L2 when loaded and unloaded,
call it good and quit.

Power factor correction caps connect between L1 and L2. The value
is whatever reduces the 1 ph line current from the service entrance
to the lowest value. Again experimentation will be required. Do this
*after* you balance the converter, if you're going to balance it. The
value won't be the same for a balanced converter as it will be for
an unbalanced converter. (Usually, it'll be smaller for a balanced
converter.)

What the power factor correction caps do is cancel the inductive
reactance due to the motor which is seen by the service entrance.
This reactance can set up high circulating currents in the primary
feed if it isn't canceled. These are wattless watts in the sense that
the current is out of phase with voltage and doesn't represent real
power being drawn from the utility, but they can cause the wires to
heat up (series R loss), and require you to use a larger than normal
breaker to prevent nuisance tripping.

I can't supply you with exact values since those will vary depending on
the particular motor you're using, ie different motors have different
impedances. What you're shooting for with the power factor correction
caps is to make the motor impedance R + j0. You probably can't hit
that exactly, but getting close can make a big difference in the current
draw.

Balance caps and power factor correction caps aren't strictly necessary
to make a working rotary converter. But they are nice to use because
they'll give you better phase to phase voltage balance, and will reduce
the converter's power factor, letting you run from a smaller breaker.

Gary
Robert Swinney

Gary sez: "Power factor correction caps connect between L1 and L2. The
value
is whatever reduces the 1 ph line current from the service entrance
to the lowest value. Again experimentation will be required. Do this
*after* you balance the converter, if you're going to balance it. The
value won't be the same for a balanced converter as it will be for
an unbalanced converter. (Usually, it'll be smaller for a balanced
converter.)"

Right on, Gary! The 2 key points in Gary's closing paragraph are "do this
after you balance the converter" and "reduces the 1 ph line current from the
service entrance to the lowest value" Important here is that the current
from the service entrance is measured with a clamp-on type of Ammeter.
Unlike the voltage measurements for balancing this is a current measurement.

Bob Swinney

Paul Baygents

"Robert Swinney" wrote in message
[...]

I've never used/owned one of those ammeters before. Guess I need to buy one.
Honey? I need a new tool!

Reno, Paul

Gunner

On Mon, 22 Mar 2004 19:16:45 -0800, "Paul Baygents"
wrote:

[...]

The Harbor Freight one is a digital. While not great...it works well
enough that I keep one in my CNC repair kit.

Gate time is pretty slow..but the "peak hold" seems to work ok.

They go on sale at 1/2 price pretty regularly. Has an ok ohms/volts
meter included in it.
One of the tricks with many..though not all Harbor Freights..ask for the
manager, tell him you are on a very tight budget and they will often
sell you the item at the last sales price.

For serious stuff, I also keep an old Amprobe analog (with a needle
type meter) tucked away in one of the tool boxes.

Gunner

The two highest achievements of the human mind are the twin concepts of "loyalty" and "duty."
Whenever these twin concepts fall into disrepute -- get out of there fast! You may possibly
save yourself, but it is too late to save that society. It is doomed. " Lazarus Long
gradstdnt

I tried doing this just this past weekend when I balanced out my 7.5
hp idler. Adding the PF caps didn't decrease my line current, it
increased it.

I tried a multitude of run cap and then PF cap combinations while
balancing my converter to run my 5hp lathe. I found my best
combination for loaded balance was 120 mf between L1 and L3 and 80 mf
between L2 and L3. L3 being the manufactured leg. This yielded 243v
between L1 and L3 and 245v between L2 and L3. Incoming line voltage
is 244v. Likewise my currents for L1 are 8.1 amps, L2 7.8amps, and L3
7.7 amps. This to me is pretty close to generating real three phase
power. Unloaded L1 to L3 and L2 to L3 voltages are up around 270
volts.

Idling the converter measures 3.7 amps on the lines feeding it. I've
added 10 and 20 mf caps across the incoming lines and the incoming
idling load increases to over 5 amps. It also increases the incoming
current while loaded. On top of that it throws the balance out of the
generated leg voltages and currents a bit. So in this instance it
doesn't appear PF caps are going to help me any.

Any thoughts as to why?

[...]

Robert Swinney

grdstat sez:

"... I tried doing this just this past weekend when I balanced out my 7.5
hp idler. Adding the PF caps didn't decrease my line current, it
increased it. ..."

Check the manufactured leg with your clamp-on ammeter with your converter
unloaded. With balancing close to optimum, you should read the motor's
name-plate current in the 3 rd. (manufactured) leg. This may sound strange!
The current you are reading is reactive. This current is out of phase with
the voltage that causes it. For example, on my 7.5 HP idler, that reading
was 22 amps which is the full load rated current of a 7.5 HP, 3-phase motor.
My mnufactured leg, or 3 rd. leg, current could more exactly be stated as:
(22 angle 30 degrees) amps, or aprox.
(19 + j11) amps.

When balanced, I had 93 uFd in one leg and 167 uFd in the other leg and 40
uFd connected between line 1 and line 2. This 40 uFd (power factor
correction) cap between input lines caused the (clamp-on) current measured
there to dip to (become a minimum) at 3.8 amps. Input line current measured
at L1 or L2 was 3.8 amps.

This from a very old, very heavy, Wagner 7.5 HP, 3-phase motor.

Bob Swinney

Rick Chamberlain

In article ,
says...
grdstat sez:

[...]

Bob,

Just how important is that level of balancing? I've spoken with a
number of people who build converters for a living, and almost to a
person have said that as long as you're within 10%, you'll be fine.

My home made converter is within 5% voltage per leg, and 6% on the amps.
Unless there is a compelling reason to tweak this further, I'm gonna
leave it alone.

Is this for a CNC operation?
--
Regards,

Rick

(Remove the HIGH SPOTS for e-mail)

Robert Swinney

Rick sez: " Just how important is that level of balancing? I've spoken
with a
number of people who build converters for a living, and almost to a
person have said that as long as you're within 10%, you'll be fine."

The readings are from my 7.5 HP converter. I'm not clear re. your question
"that level of balancing". I wonder if the original poster was incorrect
about how close his voltages appeared to be - this because the amounts of
balancings caps he stated should not have yielded a nearly perfect balance.
I hope he will go back and look at them again.

The values of cap given for my converter yielded voltages well within the
10% range.

Bob Swinney

Robert Swinney

Rick,

The so-called power correction cap goes across the input lines, after other
balancing is done. It acts much like the final tuning of a transmitter
where you dip the current. It is similar in that it involves tuning a
parallel resonant circuit. BE QUIET, GARY!!

Yes, it is strictly to drop the input current. On a large system, it could
conceivably allow for the use of smaller wiring.

Single run cap converters are fine. I ran one for years. The balanced
configuration (Fitch system) allows for better voltage swings when going
from idling to loaded.

Bob Swinney

"Rick Chamberlain" wrote in message
In article ,
says...

Rick sez: " Just how important is that level of balancing? I've

spoken
with a
number of people who build converters for a living, and almost to a
person have said that as long as you're within 10%, you'll be fine."

The readings are from my 7.5 HP converter. I'm not clear re. your

question
"that level of balancing". I wonder if the original poster was

incorrect
about how close his voltages appeared to be - this because the amounts

of
balancings caps he stated should not have yielded a nearly perfect

balance.
I hope he will go back and look at them again.

The values of cap given for my converter yielded voltages well within

the
10% range.

Thanks Bob.

In your previous post, you mentioned a 3 separate caps - one across the
incoming power lines.

My 5hp converter has a single run cap and I'm still within 5-6%. I was
just wondering why you added caps as you did. Was it strictlt to drop
the input amps?
--
Regards,

Rick

(Remove the HIGH SPOTS for e-mail)

gradstdnt

I checked the idling current in the generated leg. Keep in mind this
is on
a newish 7.5 hp TEFC high eff motor with max load amps of 18.8 at 230
volts.

PF CAPS Gen Leg Input idle Input loaded
Idle Amps current amps current amps
0 18.1 3.9 10.3
10 18.8 4.6 8.7
20 18.1 5.6 7.8
30 18.1 6.4 7.8
40 18.4 7.1 7.1
50 18.6 8.2 6.3

As I added PF caps, my unloaded idling current went up but my loaded
current went down. In the last case, when I turned on the lathe,
the current actually dropped from 8.2 unloaded to 6.3 with load? I
imagine
this has something to do with phase angles but don't fully understand.
Adding the PF didn't change the leg to leg current or voltages much.
The leg to leg difference is still within 2 amps. From 0 to 50 mf PF
caps, the overall current magnitudes didn't change by more than 3 amps
per leg.
L1 to L3 that has 120 mf between them is still within 3 volts of L2
and L3
which has 80 mf between them. Someone questioned my readings earlier,
I checked them again and they are indeed within 2 volts of line
current. I didn't shoot for this, just stumbled on it with the 120/80
cap combination. Adding PF caps did change the voltages a bit, but
not the voltage difference between them.

[...]

gradstdnt

Gary Coffman wrote in message . ..
On 23 Mar 2004 06:53:03 -0800, (gradstdnt) wrote:
I tried doing this just this past weekend when I balanced out my 7.5
hp idler. Adding the PF caps didn't decrease my line current, it
increased it.

I tried a multitude of run cap and then PF cap combinations while
balancing my converter to run my 5hp lathe. I found my best
combination for loaded balance was 120 mf between L1 and L3 and 80 mf
between L2 and L3. L3 being the manufactured leg. This yielded 243v
between L1 and L3 and 245v between L2 and L3. Incoming line voltage
is 244v. Likewise my currents for L1 are 8.1 amps, L2 7.8amps, and L3
7.7 amps. This to me is pretty close to generating real three phase
power. Unloaded L1 to L3 and L2 to L3 voltages are up around 270
volts.

That's not good. You're using too much tuning capacitance. You want the
unloaded voltage balance to be within 10%, and the loaded balance within
10%. You have the loaded balance within 1%, but the unloaded voltage is
too high. You could overstress circuitry connected to the wild leg when
operating lightly loaded. Let the voltage swing above and below nominal
by about the same amount when going from unloaded to loaded. Then
you'll find that a power correction cap will reduce the primary current.

Gary

Well, as it is I'm just a tad over 10% on the high side at 275 volts
unloaded. Converter runs very smooth and quiet when the lathe is
running. Haven't tried running lighter loads yet. When idling
unloaded, it does make a bit more noise. I'm also have a feeling that
it will run a bit warmer when idling unloaded for a period of time. I
tried a configuration with 90 and 60 mf run caps. Runs a but quiter
unloaded but doesn't change much when loaded. My loaded voltages
decreased as expected, currents for each leg are not as nicely
balanced. The current to power the converter while under load went
up. By adding a 10 mf PF cap, I was able to decrease my unloaded
idling current to it's lowest value out of all configurations. So
your statement above is quite correct. My loaded current was still
higher then when nicely balanced under load. The idling current in the
third leg also went from 18 amps down to 13 amps. So according to
another poster, I'm not blanced as well as I could/should be???

I'm up in the air on where I should settle on balance. Having things
nicely balanced under load or slighty out of balance both unloaded and
loaded. Pros and cons of each? I have a 2 hp mill drill and a 1/2 hp
pedistal grinder to power as well. I realize that they will not be
balanced under load as my lathe, the biggest motor to power.

Thanks again for everyones input and expertise on the subject.
Robert Swinney

gradstdnt sez:

". . .currents for each leg are not as nicely
balanced. . . . "

You should not be measuring current in the 3 legs when attempting voltage
balance. It will totally confuse you! The current flowing in a 'rotary
phase converter / parallel load' is very complex. Some of the current looks
like it should be flowing in 2 directions, against itself. Of course, this
doesn't actually happen, but the reactive currents combine, add, and
subtract in the 3 legs in ways that make them an extremely unreliable
indicator of balance. Stick with voltage balancing techniques and leave the
clamp-on ammeter for the final power factor adjustments.

Bob Swinney

"gradstdnt" wrote in message
om...
Gary Coffman wrote in message

. ..
[...]

decreased as expected, The current to power the converter while under

load went
up. By adding a 10 mf PF cap, I was able to decrease my unloaded
idling current to it's lowest value out of all configurations. So
your statement above is quite correct. My loaded current was still
higher then when nicely balanced under load. The idling current in the
third leg also went from 18 amps down to 13 amps. So according to
another poster, I'm not blanced as well as I could/should be???

I'm up in the air on where I should settle on balance. Having things
nicely balanced under load or slighty out of balance both unloaded and
loaded. Pros and cons of each? I have a 2 hp mill drill and a 1/2 hp
pedistal grinder to power as well. I realize that they will not be
balanced under load as my lathe, the biggest motor to power.

Thanks again for everyones input and expertise on the subject.

Gary Coffman

On Wed, 24 Mar 2004 20:03:28 -0800, "Robert Swinney" wrote:
gradstdnt sez:

". . .currents for each leg are not as nicely
balanced. . . . "

You should not be measuring current in the 3 legs when attempting voltage
balance. It will totally confuse you! The current flowing in a 'rotary
phase converter / parallel load' is very complex. Some of the current looks
like it should be flowing in 2 directions, against itself. Of course, this
doesn't actually happen, but the reactive currents combine, add, and
subtract in the 3 legs in ways that make them an extremely unreliable
indicator of balance. Stick with voltage balancing techniques and leave the
clamp-on ammeter for the final power factor adjustments.

Bob's right. Balance the phase voltages, not the currents. The only time
you want to measure currents is when tuning out power factor on the
primary.

Gary
gradstdnt

[...]

I would like to clarify my three phase amp measurements. I was not
measuring currents to/from the converter. I was masuring currents in
each leg to the load motor while under power. I have measured both and
they are different. My initial thought was to better understand how
much current I was providing in the generated leg. I measured the
other legs for reference and found the results interesting. When the
voltages were blanced to within 1%, the currents were also nicely
balanced. I thought this was the goal of balancing but others have
pointed out issues with idling currents.By removing capacitance, thus
unbalancing the loaded system, the currents in each leg to the load
motor were also thrown out of balance. One let got hotter, as two
others got weaker.
In general, any further inbalance I have in the converter decreases
the current provided in the generated leg.

Thanks again for the input. I will work with balancing the converter
for my min and max loads. This should provide me with the boundary of
my operating conditions. I can then better evaluate the tradeoff
between loaded and unloaded voltage balance.
Gary Coffman

On 25 Mar 2004 07:06:57 -0800, (gradstdnt) wrote:
[...]

The load motor is a reactive load, the rotary converter is a reactive
source. Amp clamp meter readings won't be very helpful in such a
situation. The meter can't differentiate between reactive currents
and non-reactive currents.

To really know what's going on, you need to use a dual trace scope
setup to sum vector voltage and vector current in each circuit mesh.
That'll tell you how much actual power is being supplied by each phase.
You want those to balance. It would be a surprising coincidence if that
occurs at the point where the amp clamp meter readings are equal.

The main thing that you want to worry about when tuning a rotary
with ordinary test equipment is to achieve rough voltage balance
phase to phase over the operating range of the converter. To do
that, you want the voltage deviations from equality to swing roughly
symmetrically about nominal as you go from no load to fully loaded,
while at the same time deviating no more than 10% of nominal in
either direction.

Note that fully loaded means the load motor is mechanically fully
loaded to its nameplate hp. Under light loads, a load motor will
be a very reactive load, which can lead to some wildly misleading
amp clamp readings when driven by a reactive source like a rotary
converter.

Gary

Peter H.

Note that fully loaded means the load motor is mechanically fully loaded to its
nameplate hp. Under light loads, a load motor will be a very reactive load,
which can lead to some wildly misleading amp clamp readings when driven by a
reactive source like a rotary converter.

Correct. The load motor has a low power factor when unloaded or lightly loaded,
and the power factor improves as the mechanical load on the motor increases.

Nothing says you can't compensate for this by adding a PFC cap at the load
motor.

jim rozen

In article , Gary Coffman says...

To really know what's going on, you need to use a dual trace scope
setup to sum vector voltage and vector current in each circuit mesh.

A *floating* dual trace scope. Current can be measured with
a sampling resistor.

That'll tell you how much actual power is being supplied by each phase.
You want those to balance. It would be a surprising coincidence if that
occurs at the point where the amp clamp meter readings are equal.

Not *that* suprising. I suspect that once a fitch-type tuning
is done, this will be true. Ie, the phase-to-phase voltages
at the load motor will agree at the same point that the real
currents (measured not by just an amp-clamp) come into agreement.

I think I would have to invoke some kind of symmetry argument
as a first hand-waving approach.

The main thing that you want to worry about when tuning a rotary
with ordinary test equipment is to achieve rough voltage balance
phase to phase over the operating range of the converter. To do
that, you want the voltage deviations from equality to swing roughly
symmetrically about nominal as you go from no load to fully loaded,
while at the same time deviating no more than 10% of nominal in
either direction.

This becomes easier and easier to do when the idler motor impedance
is low. An argument in favor of oversizing the idler motor - a
lot of the finessing issues simply go away. My converter had no
tuning or pf correction, yet the phase to phase is well inside
ten percent over the entire operating range.

Jim

please reply to:

Robert Swinney

Jim sez:
"... This becomes easier and easier to do when the idler motor impedance
is low. An argument in favor of oversizing the idler motor - a
lot of the finessing issues simply go away. My converter had no
tuning or pf correction, yet the phase to phase is well inside
ten percent over the entire operating range. ..."

Yep! Lower is better. As per Jim's experience, with a large [idler : load]
HP ratio there is less need for "balancing" components. Of course, the down
side is all that pulling required on the rope starter, not to mention wire
size requirements... Did'ja ever see Jim's right arm?

IMO, key to understanding this and most other aspects of rotary phase
converters is to get past thinking of them as generators. Think more in
terms of parallel networks. Take an idler motor and load motor schematic --
visualize folding the drawing such that the load overlays the idler. BAM!
Parallel circuit. Right? Even the (optional) balancing capacitance is hung
off on the outside.

Reference material says the very early single-phase motors were really
3-phase motors operated with the 3 rd leg open. Sheds some new light on
"static" phase converters doesn't it?

Bob Swinney

"jim rozen" wrote in message
In article , Gary Coffman

says...

[...]

jim rozen

In article , Robert Swinney says...

Yep! Lower is better. As per Jim's experience, with a large [idler : load]
HP ratio there is less need for "balancing" components. Of course, the down
side is all that pulling required on the rope starter, not to mention wire
size requirements... Did'ja ever see Jim's right arm?

"I'm popeye the sailor man...."

But seriously the 'right arm' is mechanical, for the few who have
not seen the setup befo

http://www.metalworking.com/DropBox/_2000_retired_files/Conv.jpg

I always was worried about what would happen if the rope got
caught back up in a pull-start type, I would never do it that way.

Jim

please reply to:

Peter H.

.... IMO, key to understanding this and most other aspects of rotary phase
converters is to get past thinking of them as generators ...

Fitch tried an RPC as a generator [ * ] and it didn't work.

Which perhaps should come as no surprise.

If the idler was a "wound rotor, separately excited" machine, it would have
worked, however.

[ * ] By applying power to the star-connected 240 volt windings, and trying to
withdraw power from the 480 volt windings, which would normally be connected in
parallel with the other windings in 240 volt mode.

Gary Coffman

On 26 Mar 2004 05:46:46 -0800, jim rozen wrote:
In article , Gary Coffman says...

To really know what's going on, you need to use a dual trace scope
setup to sum vector voltage and vector current in each circuit mesh.

A *floating* dual trace scope. Current can be measured with
a sampling resistor.

Or one that has isolated differential preamps, like one of mine does.
Ordinary scopes use unbalanced inputs, with one side tied to chassis.
Trying to measure phase voltages and currents with one made that
way will give you a *hot* chassis, which is a serious shock hazard.

That'll tell you how much actual power is being supplied by each phase.
You want those to balance. It would be a surprising coincidence if that
occurs at the point where the amp clamp meter readings are equal.

Not *that* suprising. I suspect that once a fitch-type tuning
is done, this will be true. Ie, the phase-to-phase voltages
at the load motor will agree at the same point that the real
currents (measured not by just an amp-clamp) come into agreement.

I think I would have to invoke some kind of symmetry argument
as a first hand-waving approach.

Lots of hand waving. :-)

The main thing that you want to worry about when tuning a rotary
with ordinary test equipment is to achieve rough voltage balance
phase to phase over the operating range of the converter. To do
that, you want the voltage deviations from equality to swing roughly
symmetrically about nominal as you go from no load to fully loaded,
while at the same time deviating no more than 10% of nominal in
either direction.

This becomes easier and easier to do when the idler motor impedance
is low. An argument in favor of oversizing the idler motor - a
lot of the finessing issues simply go away. My converter had no
tuning or pf correction, yet the phase to phase is well inside
ten percent over the entire operating range.

Yes, that's right. My 20 hp converter barely notices when I turn
on a 2 hp load motor. It pays a bit more attention when I fire up
a 7.5 hp load motor.

Gary
jim rozen

In article , Gary Coffman says...

A *floating* dual trace scope. Current can be measured with
a sampling resistor.

Or one that has isolated differential preamps, like one of mine does.
Ordinary scopes use unbalanced inputs, with one side tied to chassis.
Trying to measure phase voltages and currents with one made that
way will give you a *hot* chassis, which is a serious shock hazard.

The plug-ins for the 7000 series tek scops *look* like they're
isolated ground. They have the bnc shell isolated from the
front panel with a teflon insulator. But this is to minimize
internal ground loops. The low side is indeed tied to power
common. But the appearance has fooled many a grad student....

Jim

please reply to:

Robert Swinney

Yep! Just goes to show you don't always get what you think you paid for.
Grad students are like the rest of us. They are lulled into a false sense
of security by the old gremlin, "it has always worked that way". A plain
scope works just fine for above ground voltage and current measurments --
just be sure the scope is powered through an isolation transformer. All
good shops have one . . . . . don't they??

Bob Swinney

PS: A good way to display AC current is with a current transformer. Wrap a
heavy wire, 1 turn around the whole winding core of a little transformer,
say, a small 110 - 12 V power transformer. Connect that wire in series with
the current leg you wish to measure. You will get a small signal,
calibrateable if desired, across the secondary terminals of the transformer
(another one across the primary also) which can be read on your scope.

DoN. Nichols

In article ,
jim rozen wrote:
In article , Gary Coffman says...

A *floating* dual trace scope. Current can be measured with
a sampling resistor.

Or one that has isolated differential preamps, like one of mine does.
Ordinary scopes use unbalanced inputs, with one side tied to chassis.
Trying to measure phase voltages and currents with one made that
way will give you a *hot* chassis, which is a serious shock hazard.

The plug-ins for the 7000 series tek scops *look* like they're
isolated ground. They have the bnc shell isolated from the
front panel with a teflon insulator. But this is to minimize
internal ground loops. The low side is indeed tied to power
common. But the appearance has fooled many a grad student....

The teflon insulation is also to isolate a ring surrounding the
outer shell, to couple in information on what the attenuation of the
probe is -- to switch readout scale values. (Some of the probes have a
1X/10X switch on them.)

There are some which *are* truly differential -- but they use
two BNCs for a single channel of differential input, and have a
long-range offset adjustment to allow you to tune out DC offsets.

Unfortunately, one of the nicest has an interesting plastic
gear inside to couple a switch to the knob on the front panel, and the
plastic has gotten brittle over time. I've seen two of those with the
plastic disintergating. I own one of them. I would love to see a
drawing of the gear's dimensions, with the hopes that I could make a
replacement. The plug-in is too nice to consign to the trash bin.

It is a barrel (perhaps 3/4" long), with a hex hole through it,
and a set of gear teeth only about 1/8" long in the middle of it.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
jim rozen

In article , DoN. Nichols says...

Unfortunately, one of the nicest has an interesting plastic
gear inside to couple a switch to the knob on the front panel, and the
plastic has gotten brittle over time. I've seen two of those with the
plastic disintergating. I own one of them. I would love to see a
drawing of the gear's dimensions, with the hopes that I could make a
replacement. The plug-in is too nice to consign to the trash bin.

It is a barrel (perhaps 3/4" long), with a hex hole through it,
and a set of gear teeth only about 1/8" long in the middle of it.

Don, what is the model number of that particular plug-in?

Jim

please reply to:

DoN. Nichols

In article ,
jim rozen wrote:
In article , DoN. Nichols says...

Unfortunately, one of the nicest has an interesting plastic
gear inside to couple a switch to the knob on the front panel, and the
plastic has gotten brittle over time. I've seen two of those with the
plastic disintergating. I own one of them. I would love to see a
drawing of the gear's dimensions, with the hopes that I could make a
replacement. The plug-in is too nice to consign to the trash bin.

It is a barrel (perhaps 3/4" long), with a hex hole through it,
and a set of gear teeth only about 1/8" long in the middle of it.

Don, what is the model number of that particular plug-in?

O.K. Found it! I seem to have misremembered the dimensions of
the plastic gear. But it is in a 7A13 plug-in. The "Fine Comparison
Voltage" is two concentric knobs. The inner one turns a 10-turn pot,
and the three LSDs of a Veeder-Root style counter on the front panel.
(Lots of small plastic gears for that part.) The outer one turns the
MSD of the Veeder-Root counter, and it *should* also turn a 10-position
switch, but the gear collar is all gone (It took me a while to
remember/rediscover just what was missing and how it should work.) All
of the other gears are fine, but that one is long gone. The metal hub
(with setscrews) which it should be on has four ridges to give a bit
more grip to the gear so it can rotate the switch (which takes a
respectable amount of torque). The whole thing lives under a bent
aluminum shield in the upper-right hand corner of (just behind) the
front panel.

Wonderful construction -- but the materials were not up to the
stresses. All of the gears are a brown plastic -- a bit lighter than
Phenolic or Bakelite.. I'm wondering whether I can make some
replacements from Delrin, and how well they would hold up. (I first
have to figure the tooth pitch and the count.)

Thanks,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
jim rozen

In article , DoN. Nichols says...

O.K. Found it! I seem to have misremembered the dimensions of
the plastic gear. But it is in a 7A13 plug-in.

Arghh, somebody tossed out the entire stock of scrap 7000 series
plug-ins in the last cleanup! It may take me a while to find a
7a13 but I will do my best don.

Jim

please reply to:

DoN. Nichols

Default Tek Scopes (was Run caps?)

In article ,
Gary Coffman wrote:
On 30 Mar 2004 23:20:56 -0500, (DoN. Nichols) wrote:
In article ,
Gary Coffman wrote:

[ ... ]

Dean Kidd is about the best source for obsolete Tek parts.

Thanks! I've found a snail-mail address for him with a Google
search, so I'll be trying to contact him soon.

Dean was in charge of designing the 453A, the best scope Tek ever
made (I have 3 of them).

While I have two of the 454. Same package, higher bandwidth
(150 MHz vs 50 MHz) and nuvistors on the front ends, instead of FETs.
(We had some of each where I worked, and as we worked with high voltage,
every so often an input FET on a 453 would get zapped, and they were
hard to find. The 454s never suffered from that.)

He bought the entire set of spares for it
when he retired. He also got parts for other models as Tek was
emptying the warehouse. If anyone has the part you need, or at
least has the best chance of knowing where to get it, he's the guy.

Great,

Thanks,
DoN.

P.S. Does he have an e-mail address? It wasn't in the information
which I found. If so, you had probably better send it in
private e-mail, or at least break it up so the spammers won't
harvest it from the newsgroup, since he doesn't post here at all

No sense exposing him to the garbage if he isn't already getting
it.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
(too) near Washington D.C. |
DoN. Nichols

In article ,
jim rozen wrote:
In article , DoN. Nichols says...

O.K. Found it! I seem to have misremembered the dimensions of
the plastic gear. But it is in a 7A13 plug-in.

Arghh, somebody tossed out the entire stock of scrap 7000 series
plug-ins in the last cleanup! It may take me a while to find a
7a13 but I will do my best don.

I'm not too sure whether it would be worth the effort. The gear
seems to be the most likely part to fail on the whole thing, so it is
probably the reason for scrapping them. But -- just in case ...

Check whether the outer knob rotates fairly smoothly or has a
serious detent. If it is smooth, then the gear is probably gone in that
one, too.

And If the side panels are still good, one of mine is rather
dented and torn a bit. I think that it is the right one (as seen from
the front) which is the one with located holes for test points and
tuning access.

Thanks much,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Tim Williams

"Jim Stewart" wrote in message
Then you've never owned a 485, my personal favorite.

My favoirite is a 475, but only because it's the second of two scopes I've
owned in my life. :^)

That reminds me, Mark - do you have any more probes?

Tim

(P.S. thanks again

--
"I have misplaced my pants." - Homer Simpson | Electronics,