jim rozen

Default Tek Scopes (was Run caps?)

In article , Jim Stewart says...

Dean was in charge of designing the 453A, the best scope Tek ever
made (I have 3 of them).

Then you've never owned a 485, my personal favorite.

That was the *huge* dual beam one, yes? With the separate
power supply?

Those things were pigs, hard to move around at all.

I got my start in an electronics shop, renovating RM45s.

As already mentioned on this ng, I found out that you should
never ever ever ever try to remove the graticle from the
front of an RM45's CRT!! Boss caught me in the store room,
trying to pry one off with a screwdriver. "What the *hell*
are you doing??"

"This damn thing's really stuck on here...."

Jim

please reply to:

william_b_noble

geez - you guys --- any use for some microfiche with tek scope/plug in
manuals and a spare bezel and graticule? if yes, contact me off the list at
william_b_noble at m s n dot com

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message
In article ,
Gary Coffman wrote:
On 30 Mar 2004 23:20:56 -0500, (DoN. Nichols) wrote:
In article ,
Gary Coffman wrote:

[ ... ]

Dean Kidd is about the best source for obsolete Tek parts.

Thanks! I've found a snail-mail address for him with a Google
search, so I'll be trying to contact him soon.

Dean was in charge of designing the 453A, the best scope Tek ever
made (I have 3 of them).

While I have two of the 454. Same package, higher bandwidth
(150 MHz vs 50 MHz) and nuvistors on the front ends, instead of FETs.
(We had some of each where I worked, and as we worked with high voltage,
every so often an input FET on a 453 would get zapped, and they were
hard to find. The 454s never suffered from that.)

He bought the entire set of spares for it
when he retired. He also got parts for other models as Tek was
emptying the warehouse. If anyone has the part you need, or at
least has the best chance of knowing where to get it, he's the guy.

Great,

Thanks,
DoN.

P.S. Does he have an e-mail address? It wasn't in the information
which I found. If so, you had probably better send it in
private e-mail, or at least break it up so the spammers won't
harvest it from the newsgroup, since he doesn't post here at all

No sense exposing him to the garbage if he isn't already getting
it.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
(too) near Washington D.C. |

Gary Coffman

On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 17:30:59 -0800, Jim Stewart wrote:
In article ,
Gary Coffman wrote:
Dean was in charge of designing the 453A, the best scope Tek ever
made (I have 3 of them).

Then you've never owned a 485, my personal favorite.

I have indeed used, not owned, a 485. At least for my purposes,
the 453A is superior. Its tunnel diode sync circuit would allow
one to reliably sync on a particular serration of vertical sync
in a TV signal. That was essential to setting up the servos of
broadcast videotape machines. The 485 just wouldn't lock up
properly on that signal. Even my fancy new 2465B won't do it,
but the old 453A will.

Of course with today's digital recorders, that's a moot point.
But I have yet to find any scope with as good a sync circuit
as the 453A.

Gary
Peter H.

Dean was in charge of designing the 453A, the best
scope Tek ever made (I have 3 of them).

Then you've never owned a 485, my personal favorite.

The 453 was a favorite of IBM's service organization, but not of other
manufacturers, and probably not of many engineers.

The 485 was the best analog scope ever made by anyone.

The HP 1725A was a second to the 485 at my former employer.

The mainframe manufacturing test cells got 485s; the service organization got
1725As.

After both had been deleted, we went to 2465As.

Jim Stewart

jim rozen wrote:
In article , Jim Stewart says...

Dean was in charge of designing the 453A, the best scope Tek ever
made (I have 3 of them).

Then you've never owned a 485, my personal favorite.

That was the *huge* dual beam one, yes? With the separate
power supply?

no, part of the 465 family of portables. Think
465 good to 400mhz+ (specs are 0-350mhz, but mine
was down 3db at 450mhz. Even better triggering
than a 465. Here's a picture of one on ebay

It will be a sad day when it fails and I have to
toss it in the dumpster.

Those things were pigs, hard to move around at all.

I got my start in an electronics shop, renovating RM45s.

As already mentioned on this ng, I found out that you should
never ever ever ever try to remove the graticle from the
front of an RM45's CRT!! Boss caught me in the store room,
trying to pry one off with a screwdriver. "What the *hell*
are you doing??"

"This damn thing's really stuck on here...."

Jim

please reply to:

Jim Stewart

Peter H. wrote:

Dean was in charge of designing the 453A, the best
scope Tek ever made (I have 3 of them).

Then you've never owned a 485, my personal favorite.

The 453 was a favorite of IBM's service organization, but not of other
manufacturers, and probably not of many engineers.

The 485 was the best analog scope ever made by anyone.

Alright. Peter and I agree on something.

jim rozen

In article , Peter H. says...

After both had been deleted, we went to 2465As.

That series has pretty much become our defacto standard
lab scope at this point.

Jim

please reply to:

jim rozen

In article m, Jim Stewart
says...

no, part of the 465 family of portables. Think
465 good to 400mhz+ (specs are 0-350mhz, but mine
was down 3db at 450mhz. Even better triggering
than a 465. Here's a picture of one on ebay

Oh yes, I recall those. Nice scope but the plug-ins of the
7000 series were pretty versatile.

Jim

please reply to:

Jim Stewart

jim rozen wrote:

In article m, Jim Stewart
says...

no, part of the 465 family of portables. Think
465 good to 400mhz+ (specs are 0-350mhz, but mine
was down 3db at 450mhz. Even better triggering
than a 465. Here's a picture of one on ebay

Oh yes, I recall those. Nice scope but the plug-ins of the
7000 series were pretty versatile.

Agreed. I also have the dual-beam 400mhz
7844 along with a nice stack of plugins.

It is a lovely scope. With 2 timebase plugins
and the dual beam, you can have 2 completely
independent scopes in one box and on one
screen. Very nice for when you suspect the
alternate sweep is lying to you. The only
problem is the huge footprint on your bench.

The 7000-series stuff is an incredible bargain
on ebay. About a penny on the dollar for
what it originally sold for, and the stuff
lasts forever.

Dave Keith

I like my 465B, it is a good old scope. They are reaonably fast for my
purposes, and have good features (delay, etc). Although I might appreciate
it more because I bought it off my former employer in a closing-out sale for
$12.50 (Canadian, I outbid one of the programmers who offered $10 . Of
course that's not quite as good a deal as the camera attachement I scrounged
out of a storage bay that the same company wanted cleaned out so they could
terminate the lease. It was a free-for-all, and I was mighty happy when I
found that Tektronix box under some empty boxes !

Dave

"Eric R Snow" wrote in message
On 01 Apr 2004 04:43:54 GMT, inch (Peter H.) wrote:

Dean was in charge of designing the 453A, the best
scope Tek ever made (I have 3 of them).

Then you've never owned a 485, my personal favorite.

The 453 was a favorite of IBM's service organization, but not of other
manufacturers, and probably not of many engineers.

The 485 was the best analog scope ever made by anyone.

The HP 1725A was a second to the 485 at my former employer.

The mainframe manufacturing test cells got 485s; the service organization

got
1725As.

After both had been deleted, we went to 2465As.

What do you think of the 465B scopes? I've been told by someone I
trust that these are good for a neophyte who just needs to diagnose
problem likely to be found in a machine shop. So I have been shopping
for them on ebay. Haven't won one yet but maybe I should be looking at
other scopes too.
Thanks,
Eric R Snow

Peter H.

What do you think of the 465B scopes?

The later 400 series, say, the 465, 475 and 485 are all good scopes.

The 485 is the most complicated, and the best performing.

The switching power supply is one problem area in the 485, with the tantalum
caps therein being the problem. Replace suspicious caps with MIL-Spec tants.

Usually, these caps fail in short-circuit mode, and this will trip the 485s
super-complicated overload detection circuit (an 11-input OR-gate), which not
only monitors the power supply itself, but the HV and beam sections as well.

Use gen-u-wine TEK probes, and you will not regret it.

When forced to, I would ... reluctantly ... use our de-facto standard HP 1725A,
but only with TEK probes. The HP probes were so unstable that one couldn't
reliably tune the clocks on our mainframes to the required sub-nanosecond skew.

Jim Stewart

Peter H. wrote:
What do you think of the 465B scopes?

The later 400 series, say, the 465, 475 and 485 are all good scopes.

The 485 is the most complicated, and the best performing.

The switching power supply is one problem area in the 485, with the tantalum
caps therein being the problem. Replace suspicious caps with MIL-Spec tants.

Usually, these caps fail in short-circuit mode, and this will trip the 485s
super-complicated overload detection circuit (an 11-input OR-gate), which not
only monitors the power supply itself, but the HV and beam sections as well.

Use gen-u-wine TEK probes, and you will not regret it.

When forced to, I would ... reluctantly ... use our de-facto standard HP 1725A,
but only with TEK probes. The HP probes were so unstable that one couldn't
reliably tune the clocks on our mainframes to the required sub-nanosecond skew.

In one of my better ebay deals, I bought an HP 54602B, a
4 channel digital scope (that I have a love/hate relationship
with). The seller said he'd include a couple of probes that
he had laying around. Lo and behold, he sent a brand new
Tek P6139A with the unit, a 500mhz probe that goes for $120-
$150 on ebay any day.

jim rozen

In article m, Jim Stewart
says...

Agreed. I also have the dual-beam 400mhz
7844 along with a nice stack of plugins.

It is a lovely scope. With 2 timebase plugins
and the dual beam, you can have 2 completely
independent scopes in one box and on one
screen. Very nice for when you suspect the
alternate sweep is lying to you. The only
problem is the huge footprint on your bench.

Footprint?? I was thinking of the older tube-type
Tek dual beam unit, the one that had the entire
bottom of the cart taken up by a huge power supply.
Now that was a footprint!

Jim

please reply to:

Winston

Default OT: Tek Scopes (was Run caps?)

jim rozen wrote:

(Snip)
Footprint?? I was thinking of the older tube-type
Tek dual beam unit, the one that had the entire
bottom of the cart taken up by a huge power supply.
Now that was a footprint!

Jim

551, right?
Ninth picture down in:

http://www.vaxxine.com/phil/scopes/arnoud/tek.htm

I rescued one of these from an antique store for
US$50. Fixed it and used it for about a decade.

Worked great! A real room heater.

--Winston

Martin H. Eastburn

Jim Stewart wrote:
jim rozen wrote:

In article m, Jim
Stewart
says...

no, part of the 465 family of portables. Think
465 good to 400mhz+ (specs are 0-350mhz, but mine
was down 3db at 450mhz. Even better triggering
than a 465. Here's a picture of one on ebay

Oh yes, I recall those. Nice scope but the plug-ins of the
7000 series were pretty versatile.

Agreed. I also have the dual-beam 400mhz
7844 along with a nice stack of plugins.

It is a lovely scope. With 2 timebase plugins
and the dual beam, you can have 2 completely
independent scopes in one box and on one
screen. Very nice for when you suspect the
alternate sweep is lying to you. The only
problem is the huge footprint on your bench.

The 7000-series stuff is an incredible bargain
on ebay. About a penny on the dollar for
what it originally sold for, and the stuff
lasts forever.

I thought my 5000 series scope with three plugins slots was
really nice in it's day. Still use it. 2M bandwidth. Used up to 3.5M
on a TV once. Knew I was down on the bandwidth curve - should have had a 10M,
but budgets at the time - 70's brought low pay checks for expensive toys.

Bought mine from Tek with an additional curve tracer plugin. :-)

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn
@ home at Lion's Lair with our computer

Jim Stewart

Martin H. Eastburn wrote:

Jim Stewart wrote:

jim rozen wrote:

In article m, Jim
Stewart
says...

[...]

In 1982 I bought a brand new Tek 2235 straight
from the factory. 30% down and the rest in monthly
payment over one year. Tek financed it with no credit
history and living in an apartment. I always get a
nice warm feeling for Tek when I think about that.

I still have the scope and it still works fine.

DoN. Nichols

In article ,
Len S wrote:

If he does, I don't know it. I have his phone number around here somewhere,
but I can't find it right now.

The number I have for him: 503 625 7363

Thanks. That should do it for me.

Again, thanks,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
DoN. Nichols

In article ,
jim rozen wrote:
In article , Jim Stewart says...

Dean was in charge of designing the 453A, the best scope Tek ever
made (I have 3 of them).

Then you've never owned a 485, my personal favorite.

That was the *huge* dual beam one, yes? With the separate
power supply?

Nope -- that was the 575 IIRC. The 400 series were all nice
compact little scopes.

Those things were pigs, hard to move around at all.

The 575 certainly qualifies for that. I turned down one *free*,
because I knew what I would be getting into. :-)

I got my start in an electronics shop, renovating RM45s.

As already mentioned on this ng, I found out that you should
never ever ever ever try to remove the graticle from the
front of an RM45's CRT!! Boss caught me in the store room,
trying to pry one off with a screwdriver. "What the *hell*
are you doing??"

"This damn thing's really stuck on here...."

As in bonded to the CRT. Get it loose, and you let the vacuum
out. :-)

The 454 at least had a coil around the neck of the tube to add a
magnetic field to rotate the trace into alignment. Adjustable by a
screwdriver from outside the scope -- in the little accessory connector
panel on the right side, IIRC. That panel would hinge out to parallel
the scope face when the scope was in the rack-mount shell, so it was all
accessible from the front.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

"Tim Williams" wrote

That reminds me, Mark - do you have any more probes?

Tim

Sorry, no... lots of after market probes out there.

Mark

"Winston" wrote

Worked great! A real room heater.

--Winston

I used a 514 (or 511, can't remember which) in my early days as a TV
repaiman. Huge 5 mc bandwidth...

Mark

jim rozen

In article , M says...

I used a 514 (or 511, can't remember which) in my early days as a TV
repaiman. Huge 5 mc bandwidth...

That was a 511, same size as a 545 but no plug-ins. It had higher
bandwith if you went right to the deflection plates (the hatch
on the side allowed this) but it was a nicely built scope for
its time. Beat the pants off the ac coupled dumonts.

Jim

please reply to:

william_b_noble

here's a list of some tech microfiche and other tek stuff I have - drop me a
note if you are interested in any of it

Microfiche - 585 [062-2646-00](service manual - manual, circuit
desctiption, characteristics, maintenance, etc)
- 82 [062-2598-00]
- CA [062-2478-00]
- 81 [062-2596-00]
pamphlet - type 555 (4X5.5 inch with blue cover)
bezel and green filter - 4 inch round hole, 6 inches square

I'd be happy to trade for something intersting, or sell for all the riches
of china, or even sell for a reasonable fee

bill

(contact me at william_b_noble at M S N dot c o m do not reply to this
post, it won't work) I'd like to see this go to a good home

Right you are! That sure brings back memories. I made good money with that
scope. Kept the shop warm, too. I remember changing the tubes that coupled
to the deflection plates.... 6J6? 6SN7? All gone in the haze of foggy
memory, now.

Mark

"jim rozen" wrote in message
In article , M says...

I used a 514 (or 511, can't remember which) in my early days as a TV
repaiman. Huge 5 mc bandwidth...

That was a 511, same size as a 545 but no plug-ins. It had higher
bandwith if you went right to the deflection plates (the hatch
on the side allowed this) but it was a nicely built scope for
its time. Beat the pants off the ac coupled dumonts.

Jim

please reply to:

jim rozen

In article , M says...

Right you are! That sure brings back memories. I made good money with that
scope. Kept the shop warm, too. I remember changing the tubes that coupled
to the deflection plates.... 6J6? 6SN7? All gone in the haze of foggy
memory, now.

Probably a dual triode 6SN7 run as a long tailed pair. I was
fortunate enough to extract three 511s and a couple of old dumonts
out of a trash dumpster at my wife's law school. They
had been tossed out of second story windows in there, and still
worked just fine after I got them home.

Jim

please reply to:

Ted Edwards

As an undergraduate between 3rd and 4th year, I got a job doing
electronics for the Low Temperature Physics lab. There I encountered my
first Tek scope and have been a fan ever since. That scope had to have
been one of the first they built since it was old even by the standards
of the mid-50s. Memory fades but I think it had two rotary switches,
course and fine, to set the sweep rate. It even had triggered sweep -
the first such scope I had ever had the pleasure of using. Anybody able
to shed light on the model or direct me to a photo?

My present scope is a 2235 which replaced my stolen 453. sigh

Ted

Yep, that sounds right. BTW, scopes in a law school? Could be an
interesting story here..... visions of diabolical machines come to mind....

Mark

"jim rozen" wrote in message
In article , M says...

Right you are! That sure brings back memories. I made good money with

that
scope. Kept the shop warm, too. I remember changing the tubes that

coupled
to the deflection plates.... 6J6? 6SN7? All gone in the haze of foggy
memory, now.

Probably a dual triode 6SN7 run as a long tailed pair. I was
fortunate enough to extract three 511s and a couple of old dumonts
out of a trash dumpster at my wife's law school. They
had been tossed out of second story windows in there, and still
worked just fine after I got them home.

Jim

please reply to:

Martin H. Eastburn

Yea - but my data books are still on the shelf. OA2 ?

Martin

M wrote:
Right you are! That sure brings back memories. I made good money with that
scope. Kept the shop warm, too. I remember changing the tubes that coupled
to the deflection plates.... 6J6? 6SN7? All gone in the haze of foggy
memory, now.

Mark

"jim rozen" wrote in message

In article , M says...

I used a 514 (or 511, can't remember which) in my early days as a TV
repaiman. Huge 5 mc bandwidth...

That was a 511, same size as a 545 but no plug-ins. It had higher
bandwith if you went right to the deflection plates (the hatch
on the side allowed this) but it was a nicely built scope for
its time. Beat the pants off the ac coupled dumonts.

Jim

================================================ ==
please reply to:
================================================ ==

--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn
@ home at Lion's Lair with our computer
NRA LOH, NRA Life

Martin H. Eastburn

Ted Edwards wrote:

As an undergraduate between 3rd and 4th year, I got a job doing
electronics for the Low Temperature Physics lab. There I encountered my
first Tek scope and have been a fan ever since. That scope had to have
been one of the first they built since it was old even by the standards
of the mid-50s. Memory fades but I think it had two rotary switches,
course and fine, to set the sweep rate. It even had triggered sweep -
the first such scope I had ever had the pleasure of using. Anybody able
to shed light on the model or direct me to a photo?

My present scope is a 2235 which replaced my stolen 453. sigh

Ted

453 - That had (has) a lot of capability. Absolute Delay, ...

Maybe a 310 was the first.

My first was a 1" RCA - a.k.a. better than nothing. Binding posts for inputs.

Tek has been making scopes since '47 IIRC. Somewhere around here I have some docs -
went into some of the Concepts books but not much history - just circuits.

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn
@ home at Lion's Lair with our computer
NRA LOH, NRA Life

jim rozen

In article , Martin H. Eastburn
says...

Maybe a 310 was the first.

The 310 was a fairly modern scope, it had knobs that
were 454 vintage, with the black outers and red inners.

The 511 we've been discussing definitely predates that,
it used plain black knobs, one piece, and octal tubes.

The 310 used 7 and 9 pin miniature tubes.

Jim

please reply to:

DoN. Nichols

In article m,
william_b_noble wrote:
geez - you guys --- any use for some microfiche with tek scope/plug in
manuals and a spare bezel and graticule? if yes, contact me off the list at
william_b_noble at m s n dot com

I sent you an e-mail, but have not heard back. Did your address
perhaps fall afoul of my spam filtering? (Or vice versa, perhaps?)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
william_b_noble

Don - apparently I can't deliver mail to you, see the reject message below.
I've sent you a message from another mail account, if that doesn't work, you
need to contact me somehow and maybe a telephone call will work (no, I won't
post my phone # on the web) -

we shall see if my other message makes it

bill

DoN. Nichols

In article m,
william_b_noble wrote:
Don - apparently I can't deliver mail to you, see the reject message below.
I've sent you a message from another mail account, if that doesn't work, you
need to contact me somehow and maybe a telephone call will work (no, I won't
post my phone # on the web) -

I do, at the bottom of every message. It is in my ".sig". I've
had no problems with that.

we shall see if my other message makes it

It did.

Thanks,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564