Gary Coffman

Default Tek Scopes (was Run caps?)

On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 17:30:59 -0800, Jim Stewart wrote:
In article ,
Gary Coffman wrote:
Dean was in charge of designing the 453A, the best scope Tek ever
made (I have 3 of them).

Then you've never owned a 485, my personal favorite.

I have indeed used, not owned, a 485. At least for my purposes,
the 453A is superior. Its tunnel diode sync circuit would allow
one to reliably sync on a particular serration of vertical sync
in a TV signal. That was essential to setting up the servos of
broadcast videotape machines. The 485 just wouldn't lock up
properly on that signal. Even my fancy new 2465B won't do it,
but the old 453A will.

Of course with today's digital recorders, that's a moot point.
But I have yet to find any scope with as good a sync circuit
as the 453A.

Gary