Gunner

Default Run caps?

On Mon, 22 Mar 2004 19:16:45 -0800, "Paul Baygents"
wrote:

"Robert Swinney" wrote in message
Gary sez: "Power factor correction caps connect between L1 and L2. The
value
is whatever reduces the 1 ph line current from the service entrance
to the lowest value. Again experimentation will be required. Do this
*after* you balance the converter, if you're going to balance it. The
value won't be the same for a balanced converter as it will be for
an unbalanced converter. (Usually, it'll be smaller for a balanced
converter.)"

Right on, Gary! The 2 key points in Gary's closing paragraph are "do this
after you balance the converter" and "reduces the 1 ph line current from

the
service entrance to the lowest value" Important here is that the current
from the service entrance is measured with a clamp-on type of Ammeter.
Unlike the voltage measurements for balancing this is a current

measurement.

Bob Swinney

I've never used/owned one of those ammeters before. Guess I need to buy one.
Honey? I need a new tool!

Reno, Paul

The Harbor Freight one is a digital. While not great...it works well
enough that I keep one in my CNC repair kit.

Gate time is pretty slow..but the "peak hold" seems to work ok.

They go on sale at 1/2 price pretty regularly. Has an ok ohms/volts
meter included in it.
One of the tricks with many..though not all Harbor Freights..ask for the
manager, tell him you are on a very tight budget and they will often
sell you the item at the last sales price.

For serious stuff, I also keep an old Amprobe analog (with a needle
type meter) tucked away in one of the tool boxes.

Gunner

The two highest achievements of the human mind are the twin concepts of "loyalty" and "duty."
Whenever these twin concepts fall into disrepute -- get out of there fast! You may possibly
save yourself, but it is too late to save that society. It is doomed. " Lazarus Long