Dan Cassaro

Default Run caps?

Paul,
There are different setups (balanced and unbalanced). Mine is an unbalanced,
with one cap between each "real" 220V leg and the "manufactured" third leg.
Getting the right sizing takes some experimentation and a voltmeter. A
clamp-on ammeter is handy, too. I started with 15uF per HP, or 150uF on my
10HP idler. As I recall, my final set was 160uF from L1-L3, and 40uF from
L2-3.
Be very careful when adding caps. Make certain the caps are rated as run
caps, and have a voltage rating above 220V.
There's a LOT of good info on the web, so hit Google and search for "rotary
phase converter".
Dan

"Paul Baygents" wrote in message
So I've got my converter running. However, I was told that by adding
run capacitors I could lower the needed Amps to drive the idler?
Is this true? If so would I simply put them inline on the incoming 220
hot leads going to the idler? Or else where?

Thanks,
Paul