Old March 2nd 04, 02:16 PM
Don

Default Advice to keep cars from sliding into my yard on bad curve.

Hey there, got an unusual question:

I live out in the country and part of my front yard is on a curve.
Constantly when it is wet outside, cars go too fast around it despite
signs being posted and end up sliding in my front yard. There is a
small ditch along the road that they go through and into my front
yard. Yesterday, someone even took out a bush I had planted at the end
of my driveway.

ANy bright ideas on what I could do? I thought about taking a tiller
and making the ditch deeper where it would be harder for cars to go
through. I even though of welding together some sort of guardrail to
but on my side of the ditch.

Any help woould be greatly appreciated!

Old March 2nd 04, 02:42 PM
Walt Springs

To avoid lawsuits do not place any rocks or structure that will stop them.
You can how ever make a boggy area that will stop them the same way some of
the 1/4 mile race tracks use at the end of the track in case someone
overshoots. The best part is they will need a tow truck to get out and you
will be able to go after them for any damages.Sweet revenge without guns,
just mud !

m...

Old March 2nd 04, 02:50 PM
Al Patrick

I think you have the right idea. Deepen the ditch and then they can
ROLL across it into your front porch -- if going fast enough. However,
it will probably stop those who aren't speeding toooo fast. Be careful
of tampering with anything within the right of way.

You could add a guard rail. Make it LOOK strong enough to demolish the
entire car if they hit it. This way they can see it when the road is
dry and IMAGINE what will happen if they slide into it. HOWEVER, I'd
make it "breakable" so they don't get killed when they hit. . . . Kind
of like the highway barriers. Colors: Black & Yellow - alternating!

Talk with the city, county or state that maintains that part of the road
and ask if you can BORROW some highway barriers to put up.

Plant trees or thorny bushes along that area.

BE SURE TO KEEP ANYTHING WELL ON YOUR SIDE OF THE RIGHT OF WAY!

* * * * Above all, document costs, get license numbers (tag & drivers)
and force several of them to pay -- plenty. * * * * The court
publicity will help deter others -- maybe! HIRE the work done and DON'T
TAKE THE LOW BIDDER. :-)

Talk to the folks at some cemetery and see if they'll give you some of
the flowers they take up off the graves periodically. Take these
flowers and put them in a place or two near this curve to make it appear
someone has already gotten killed there! ;-) I'm sure you've seen this
done along the highway were someone has gotten killed.

Just a few ideas of my own. You may want to check with an attorney
before doing any of the above. In this screwed up system a burglar can
walk onto your property at night, intending to steal all you have, step
into a hole the dog dug in the yard and then sue you and/or your home
owner's insurance company for damages to his broken leg, etc. -- AND
COLLECT!

==================

Old March 2nd 04, 02:55 PM
Bob Paulin

Don wrote in article
.. .
Hey there, got an unusual question:

I live out in the country and part of my front yard is on a curve.
Constantly when it is wet outside, cars go too fast around it despite
signs being posted and end up sliding in my front yard. There is a
small ditch along the road that they go through and into my front
yard. Yesterday, someone even took out a bush I had planted at the end
of my driveway.

ANy bright ideas on what I could do? I thought about taking a tiller
and making the ditch deeper where it would be harder for cars to go
through. I even though of welding together some sort of guardrail to
but on my side of the ditch.

Any help woould be greatly appreciated!

In the town I grew up in, one guy had a similar problem with cars failing
to make a curve at the end of a high-speed stretch of road, and ending up
in his back yard.

He placed some seven to ten-foot tall boulders in the path.

Problem is, in today's litigous society, anything you place in the possible
path of a car just might make you libel for injuries that might not have
occured if the obstacle was not there, and the person's car simply came to
a stop in your yard with no man-made obstacles placed in their path -
especially since there is a history/precedent of people walking away
uninjured from forays into your front yard prior to you setting up any
barriers, etc.

We've all read about burglars suing homeowners for unsafe conditions
causing injury while they were attempting to commit a crime. There are
lawyers who are willing to launch just about any sort of lawsuit -
frivolous or not.

I would lobby the local government for some sort of guardrail, or
government-placed barrier - which should absolve you of any responsibility.

I also think a visit to your lawyer to determine what you can do without
placing yourself in jeopardy might be a good first step. Get his opinion in
writing, if you can.

Old March 2nd 04, 03:26 PM
Jerry G.

Do not tamper with anything on the public road, or cause any condition for
property damage or injury to the offenders. You should go to the municipal
department for your area, and have this properly dealt with. Take some
photos as evidence to this concern. I am sure that they would have a legal
solution for you. If not, you can make a case, and ask for a public hearing
in the municipal court for your county. Just make sure you have convincing
evidence.

Putting up a proper barrier with the proper warning signs would be more
appropriate. The barrier and any signs would have to be made to be visible
both night and day. I am assuming from what you said, that there are signs.
Maybe you can convince the city to put up a stop sign near the curve, with a
warning sign about 500 feet before the curve. You will then have to put up
with the noise of the cars and trucks stopping and starting near to your
home, if they do this.

In the mid 50's, my parents had this type of problem, but in the city. We
had some streets where there were no stop signs, and people and cyclists
were having frequent accidents from cars. My father took photos, and kept
records. After about a year, he made a public case. Within an hour he had
the judgment passed. They had to make proper crossings, and put stop signs
on every corner in the area. Everything was done within the next month
after.

--

Greetings,

Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com

m...

Old March 2nd 04, 03:28 PM
Ecnerwal

Start by asking the town/county/state (whoever maintains the road) for a
guardrail and/or rumble strips based on the history of cars sliding off
there. If they put a guardrail up, you don't have the liability issues
that Walt already mentioned. A guardrail you put up could get very
expensive.

A berm (small hill) might be good. Either with hauled in dirt/sand, or
by widening ditch, and piling the removed dirt beside it. Don't use big
rocks. Widening the ditch is probably more effective (and safer) than
deepening it much - will give the bog effect Walt mentioned. Consider
planting it with some durable brush, if that doesn't screw up your
conception of what the yard looks like - the brush will provide some
additional resistance to the cars coming through, and will also make the
corner more noticable, so they might slow down more.

Old March 2nd 04, 03:41 PM
Ian Stirling

In rec.crafts.metalworking Walt Springs wrote:
To avoid lawsuits do not place any rocks or structure that will stop them.
You can how ever make a boggy area that will stop them the same way some of
the 1/4 mile race tracks use at the end of the track in case someone
overshoots. The best part is they will need a tow truck to get out and you
will be able to go after them for any damages.Sweet revenge without guns,
just mud !

Do they have any right to tow off your land without your permission?
Can you dismantle the car, and sell it for parts?
Old March 2nd 04, 04:40 PM
Wayne

The last house I owned we had the same problem 9 out of 10 drivers just
left, leaving me a mess. The few that couldn't leave were so drunk the just
looked up. One lady had a car that most have been 2 weeks old. I went to
talk to her and she drove off with sticks and grass jammed in her tires. It
was a real pain. The town made the mess when they redid the road but would
do nothing to fix it. There was a fruit tree there and the bees made a very
big nest in it, I just left them be, a few drivers that got out to look got
stung but that didn't help my problem.

Old March 2nd 04, 04:50 PM
Ecnerwal

In article , "Wayne" makowicki
wrote:

The last house I owned we had the same problem 9 out of 10 drivers just
left, leaving me a mess. The few that couldn't leave were so drunk the just
looked up. One lady had a car that most have been 2 weeks old. I went to
talk to her and she drove off with sticks and grass jammed in her tires.

In this sort of case, a camera with appropriate sensor (or if you're
home, simply eyeballing the license plate) followed by running the plate
number with a charge of leaving the scene of an accident, plus the
damages, etc. might be of some use.