Default Advice to keep cars from sliding into my yard on bad curve.

On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 20:45:46 GMT, Sunworshiper
wrote:

On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 10:27:08 GMT, Ian Stirling
wrote:

In rec.crafts.metalworking Tony wrote:
Trying to get reliable license plate recognition with security cameras might
be more costly than you think.

2-3 megapixel cameras are pretty cheap.
A wire-break sensor, some 5 or so 500W floodlights, and the camera in a
convenient place triggered to go off several times.

Will you spell it out? Someone took a crow bar to the corner window
of my truck last night and took about every important tool I had. I
have to fix this problem. Is there a way to set off the cameras
automatically after the lights come on without flashes and multiple
shots ? I need to call the junk yard and I don't have a screw driver
little alone the other tools to get it off the one I may find. The
SWMBO wants a fence so the dog can get all around ASAP.
I'm afraid , if I had my way I'd put up a 9' block wall with broken
bottles in holes so they are replaceable. 0

There's probably a game camera that would work. Good selection at
Cabelas. http://tinyurl.com/2eqqu

Wayne

Gerald Miller

On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 16:44:02 GMT, AJScott
wrote:

In article ,
"TexasFireGuy" wrote:

Spend a small fortune and have some giant redwoods trucked in and lined up
along the curve. They're a bitch to plant, but you won't get any vehicles
in your yard.

True, but then he'd have every dog in the neighborhood peeing all over
those nice expensive trees. Probably more than a few passing 2am drunks
with their back teeth floating, too.

AJS

That's where the spark coil and the fine, bare wire woven through the
rose bushes comes into play; I'll bet that greyhound is still doing
somersaults while licking at the sore spot and setting a new land
speed and multiple yip record.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Alan Moore

On 2 Mar 2004 21:37:46 -0800, jim rozen
wrote:

In article , Don says...

Hey there, got an unusual question:

What a lot of suggestions. The best way to stop a car
gently (this is seen around race courses a lot) is
to install a buffer zone of deep gravel around the property,
where they run off. The kinetic energy of the car goes
into throwing the gravel around.

Another good idea seen in cases like this is to make
an earth embankment that will deflect their vehicle.
I've seen this done with the occasional, artistic,
one cubic foot rocks placed around the rock garden
to further frustrate the path of the runaway car.

But coarse gravel will slow them down, and an earth
embankment at least three feet high will deflect
them.

And some pyrocanthus growing there will hold them until the
authorities arrive.

Where I used to live, we had someone go across our lawn and out
through the neighbor's driveway (narrowly missing a 100 foot tall
Deodar, damnit) and going over a nice pyrocanthus bush. The bush
survived, though damaged, but the police found the idiot in the next
service station, where he'd stopped when he discovered he'd lost all
his coolant -- about 6 blocks away.

Al Moore
Old Nick

On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 18:00:25 -0500, Nick Hull
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

Suit city here we come! Maybe even gaol time.

For God's sake, if you MUST, use some sort of known safe painful way.
Preferably a registered electric fence system. The big thing is they
pulse, not continue and are very low current. You could still kill
somebody with a weak heart. I don;t have a weak heart, and believe me
even grabbing a live electric fence can give you a workout. I have
seen a kangaroo kiled by an electric fence. He got caught under it,
across his chest.

Actually, to put it bluntly, even 12-24 volts straight up the olfella
would be very painful. Try sticking your tongue across a couple of car
batteries, or even one, or even a nine volt battery...

....You _could_ try the _other_ way I suppose....G

I have had a pet dog sniff a model railway track (12V) when I was a
kid. It produced quite startled reponses.

A small insulated chicken wire fence wired into 110vac with a 100 watt
bulb in series (current limiting) will discourage dogs & drunks peeing.
My father tried it, and you could still hear them yipping a mile away.

************************************************** ** sorry

..........no I'm not!

Spike....Spike? Hello?

Refinish King

Not a parking space:

But in North East Pa. a famous hospital, Geisinger. Is always reconfiguring
their parking lots, and seperating one from the other. They have many!

But there are spikes all over, they reconfigure, and forget to lock the
spikes, they say oops, sorry to people. I'm smart enough to let someone
stand on them to get into the second part of the lot.

Plus, parking is free. I don't stiff institutions, whether commercial or non
profit for parking fees!

Refinish King

"zxcvbob" wrote in message
Refinish King wrote:

What about hospitals and many commercial properties:

Heaven forbid you make the mistake of trying to back up into a parking

lane
to get a spot, POP, Pop, and if you're stupid enough! Pop, Pop. Now you

need
four new tires!

Is that hospital or commercial property owner liable?

Please answer that for me?

Thank you,
Refinish King

Pop Pop from what? Spikes to keep you from entering or backing up an exit
ramp? I've never seen spikes like that in a *parking space*.

Bob

Refinish King

Claymores have the force to penetrate non armored people transporters:

ie: Humvees, Jeeps, Officer's vehicles. Do you propose a passenger car has
more defense than a military vehicle?

just a thought?

Refinish King

PS

This is all merely conjecture, the property owner will do, whatever he is
told to do by his "LEGAL COUNCIL"

We are all just conjecturing our wishful thinking!

"HeatMan" wrote in message
link.net...
The claymore will pepper the car with the pellets. It won't hurt the
people, but do an (hopefully) good bit of damage to the car.

After all, it was the cars fault it was in the yard, not the drivers.

It's
sort of like it's the guns fault some one's dead, not the person that

pulled
the trigger.

"Refinish King" wrote in
message news
Claymores are people deterents,

land mines are the ticket, but when his kids or neighbors walk on them.

Then
what?

My vote: Throw grenades into the cars that get onto the property, maybe

not
into them. But, close enough. That they'll have to go home and wash the
double bacon strips out of their shorts!

Refinish King
"HeatMan" wrote in message
hlink.net...
Call the cops every time it happens and get them to make a report,

even
if
the offender is gone. Keep copies of these reports.

Take the copies of the reports to the commissioners/city council and

ask
for
a speed bump be installed. When they don't, ask them what you can do.
Document it and make it happen.

If it were my yard, I'd use Claymore mines....

"Don" wrote in message
m...
Hey there, got an unusual question:

I live out in the country and part of my front yard is on a curve.
Constantly when it is wet outside, cars go too fast around it

despite
signs being posted and end up sliding in my front yard. There is a
small ditch along the road that they go through and into my front
yard. Yesterday, someone even took out a bush I had planted at the

end
of my driveway.

ANy bright ideas on what I could do? I thought about taking a tiller
and making the ditch deeper where it would be harder for cars to go
through. I even though of welding together some sort of guardrail to
but on my side of the ditch.

Any help woould be greatly appreciated!

Refinish King

LOL

What's a room full of lawyers with concrete up to their necks?

A room without enough concrete!

LOL

Refinish King

wrote in message
On Tue, 02 Mar 2004 22:48:57 GMT, Jeff Cochran
wrote:

1) Move

2) Get the county to install a guardrail

3) Big trees, preferably 50 year oaks

4) Lawyers

Yeah. I like that. A big pile of lawyers oughta stop them, and if it
doesn't... small loss.

Dave Mundt

Greetings and Salutations...

On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 18:00:25 -0500, Nick Hull
wrote:

In article ,
AJScott wrote:

*snip*
A small insulated chicken wire fence wired into 110vac with a 100 watt
bulb in series (current limiting) will discourage dogs & drunks peeing.
My father tried it, and you could still hear them yipping a mile away.

And what kind of sounds were the dogs making?
Dave Mundt
Old Nick

On Wed, 3 Mar 2004 21:26:50 -0500, "Refinish King"
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

But there are spikes all over. I'm smart enough to let someone
stand on them to get into the second part of the lot.

Oh nice!

Aaaargh! ("Well...won't park there then...")

Aieeegh! ("Nope. Not there either...")
************************************************** ** sorry

..........no I'm not!

Spike....Spike? Hello?

Larry Jaques

On 2 Mar 2004 21:37:46 -0800, jim rozen
brought forth from the murky depths:

In article , Don says...

Hey there, got an unusual question:

What a lot of suggestions. The best way to stop a car
gently (this is seen around race courses a lot) is
to install a buffer zone of deep gravel around the property,
where they run off. The kinetic energy of the car goes
into throwing the gravel around.

Uh, Jim, have you ever tried to mow a lawn onto which
coarse gravel had been thrown? I think there's a TV
commercial which shows the effects. The guy's out mowing
his dirt and the mower is kicking rocks through windows,
knocking down passersby, and denting cars. Loverly.

Another good idea seen in cases like this is to make
an earth embankment that will deflect their vehicle.
I've seen this done with the occasional, artistic,
one cubic foot rocks placed around the rock garden
to further frustrate the path of the runaway car.

For the OP:

Rocks just large enough to hang up the car would be good.
Keep the digicam or videocamcorder in the car.
Drive down immediately after hearing the wreck.
Snap a shot or 12 of the perp.
Call both the news media and police.
Tell the media how the county hadn't done enough to prevent
this from continuing to happen, itemize expenses and actions
you have taken, and give the tape to the media.
Have the cops tow the disabled car away and arrest the drunk.

..-.
Better Living Through Denial
---
http://www.diversify.com Wondrous Website Design
Larry Jaques

On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 08:31:21 GMT, Curt Martin
brought forth from the murky depths:

An old car painted like a police car sitting prominently by the curve
may work.

Heh heh heh. There's a wooden cutout (like Christmas lawn reindeer)
caricature of a cop car out on westbound 17 in California between
Los Gatos and Santa Cruz which slows people down for awhile. You come
flying around a corner on a nice road with great curves and THERE IT
IS, all of a sudden! Instantly, you grok the reason for all the black
tire marks on the pavement on the end of that curve.

..-.
Better Living Through Denial
---
http://www.diversify.com Wondrous Website Design
Rex B

|A small insulated chicken wire fence wired into 110vac with a 100 watt
|bulb in series (current limiting) will discourage dogs & drunks peeing.
|My father tried it, and you could still hear them yipping a mile away.

Years ago a good friend kept a pretty nice AMX in his driveway. Had the factory
chromed wheels. Neighbor cat (or dog?) frequented the left rear wheel on a
nightly basis, prompting regular rust control by my friend.
So one evening said friend rolls out a short piece of screen wire flat beside
the wheel, then attaches one leg of a 110V cord to the wire. The other leg of
110 was clamped to the vehicle frame.
Later on, while listening to the 10:00 news, a single, very loud, unearthly
yowl was heard. No more rust problems.
Rex in Fort Worth
Larry Bud

Ian Stirling wrote in message ...
In rec.crafts.metalworking Tony wrote:
Trying to get reliable license plate recognition with security cameras might
be more costly than you think.

2-3 megapixel cameras are pretty cheap.
A wire-break sensor, some 5 or so 500W floodlights, and the camera in a
convenient place triggered to go off several times.

None of that solves his problem of people plowing up his yard however,
and no future wrecker of his property is going to be dissuaded because
of a prosecution that he's never heard of.

The solution is to prevent the people from ever driving on his yard in
the first place. I like the big boulders on your side of the property
line idea. Big pine trees may work as well.
Nick Hull

In article ,
zxcvbob wrote:

Nick Hull wrote:
In article ,
AJScott wrote:

A small insulated chicken wire fence wired into 110vac with a 100 watt
bulb in series (current limiting) will discourage dogs & drunks peeing.
My father tried it, and you could still hear them yipping a mile away.

A light bulb will not limit the initial current -- it's almost a dead
short until the filament heats up. It will limit the steady-state
current to about 850 mA, but this is a *far* from safe level.

The purpose of the light bulb is to keep from blowing a fuse. What it
blows on the dog is of less importance.

--
free men own guns - slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/

AlienZen

"Tim Wescott" wrote in message

"Don" wrote in message
m...
Hey there, got an unusual question:

I live out in the country and part of my front yard is on a curve.
Constantly when it is wet outside, cars go too fast around it despite
signs being posted and end up sliding in my front yard. There is a
small ditch along the road that they go through and into my front
yard. Yesterday, someone even took out a bush I had planted at the end
of my driveway.

ANy bright ideas on what I could do? I thought about taking a tiller
and making the ditch deeper where it would be harder for cars to go
through. I even though of welding together some sort of guardrail to
but on my side of the ditch.

Any help woould be greatly appreciated!

Thick brush is good, if you can find something that's suffiently durable and
attractive. It stops cars effectively and safely.

Years ago I read an article regarding the White House- They use a specific
species of shrubbery as a security barricade. it grows so dense a car cannot
penetrate it. Alas, trying a google search of "shrub" or "bush" and "white
house" is futile these days.

Mike

Brian Henderson

On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 07:48:07 +0800, Old Nick
wrote:

Have you complained in writing, pointing out the legal implications if
they ignore your concerns? Have you tried the idea of ringning the
emergency number every time?

911 gets calls from me at least once a month and the police and rescue
people all know me because they spend so much time cleaning up in
front of my house. As I said, this is not at all unusual.

Let's see, in December, someone abandoned a stolen truck (we're
assuming) and torched it on a side street next to our property at 2am.
You can still see the big patch of melted asphalt, but at least our
trees are re-growing.

January 4th was the first roll-over of the year. Some lady tried to
make a turn, whacked into a pick-up going 50 with an old man, a 4-year
old kid and her father in the front. The truck went over a couple
times, ended up on it's side against one of our bushes next to the
driveway. Old man had broken ribs but everyone else was alright.

February 12, we had a kid in his brand new convertable end up upside
down next to the house. No injuries but his car was totalled.

We should start a betting pool on this, we'd get rich.
Al Patrick

I remember seeing some very dense bushes in a nursery catalog years ago.
It was supposed to grow dense enough to keep animals in it. I can't
recall the name either, but seems it was a type of rose.

Al

==============

AlienZen wrote:

"Tim Wescott" wrote in message

"Don" wrote in message
. com...

[...]

The Guy

AlienZen wrote:

Years ago I read an article regarding the White House- They use a specific
species of shrubbery as a security barricade. it grows so dense a car cannot
penetrate it. Alas, trying a google search of "shrub" or "bush" and "white
house" is futile these days.

Mike

Yeah, you got a lot more hits on "bush" in the "white house" when
Clinton was in office.

TIm

--
No BoomBoom for me! -

The Guy

wrote:

[...]

You really need to get a box of those Olympic event scoring numbers so
you can provide dramatic feeedback. Once you get into it, separate
scores for technican and artistic might be good!

The above one sounds like a 7.5 - 8 for technical and probably only a 4
or 5 for artistic.

Tim
--
No BoomBoom for me! -

william_b_noble

I have been told of a similar situation involving a nice boxwood hedge,
except that the "electrician" was a few volts short of the spec - after
wiring the hedge he felt a need to test it operationally - as I understand
it, he spent some very uncomfortable time in the hospital and thereafter was
about half the man he used to be

"Rex B" wrote in message

|A small insulated chicken wire fence wired into 110vac with a 100 watt
|bulb in series (current limiting) will discourage dogs & drunks peeing.
|My father tried it, and you could still hear them yipping a mile away.

Years ago a good friend kept a pretty nice AMX in his driveway. Had the

factory
chromed wheels. Neighbor cat (or dog?) frequented the left rear wheel on

nightly basis, prompting regular rust control by my friend.
So one evening said friend rolls out a short piece of screen wire flat

beside
the wheel, then attaches one leg of a 110V cord to the wire. The other leg

of
110 was clamped to the vehicle frame.
Later on, while listening to the 10:00 news, a single, very loud,

unearthly
yowl was heard. No more rust problems.
Rex in Fort Worth

Alan Moore

On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 09:21:55 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 08:31:21 GMT, Curt Martin
brought forth from the murky depths:

An old car painted like a police car sitting prominently by the curve
may work.

Heh heh heh. There's a wooden cutout (like Christmas lawn reindeer)
caricature of a cop car out on westbound 17 in California between
Los Gatos and Santa Cruz which slows people down for awhile. You come
flying around a corner on a nice road with great curves and THERE IT
IS, all of a sudden! Instantly, you grok the reason for all the black
tire marks on the pavement on the end of that curve.

They used to have one of those near Livermore, on old US 50 (or 40, or
whatever the heck it was). People learned to ignore it, and then
motorcycle cops started using it for a hiding place.

Al Moore
william_b_noble

right not the specific name escapes me, but the shrub is one used frequently
in Africa for that purpose - it has a shiny leaf like holly and very nasty
thorns that are about an inch long - you could probably turn it up by
looking for "thorns" and bush and fence - for example
http://www.anotherland.com/hg-1200.htm
or for more actionable information try
http://www.fao.org/docrep/X5327e/x53...3.15%20fencing which says"

Highly valued species for live fences are Euphorbia tirucalli, Albizia
harveyi, and Commiphora africana. Species used for fence poles include
Dichrostachys cinerea. Species for both uses that were identified by farmers
are found in Table 3.24.

AlienZen wrote:

"Tim Wescott" wrote in message

"Don" wrote in message
. com...

[...]

Don Foreman

On 2 Mar 2004 06:16:33 -0800, (Don) wrote:

I've followed this thread with some interest.

I certainly understand the annoyance of having one's property
repeatedly trashed by careless motorists, , but I'm a bit dismayed by
some of the responses. Talk of Claymores, obstacles contrived to
wreak maximum damage, how bad can you hurt the miscreant and hope to
escape lawsuit, etc.

I hope it's all in jest and tongue-in-cheek, expressions of pent-up
frustration with bureaucratic bull**** that dodges such issues as a
matter of political priority. That could indeed make a guy wanna set
a few field-expedient charges if Wal-Mart is outta Claymores last
visit.

I hope that anyone who would employ deadly force or create risk to
life in response to ruts in the grass or damaged shrubbery would be
curbed by the full extent of both criminal and civil law, and I say
that with every bit of the contempt many of us feel for the ways in
which law is abused by civil and criminal defense lawyers and scumbag
scofflaws.

Reasonable response should be commeasurate with threat. Veterans
have fought to preserve that right, liberty, and defense of a civil
structure *we* choose, however faulted it might be in the view of
others.

We've fought and continue to fight for the individual right to meet
deadly threat with deadly force. I'm quite prepared to bear
redecoration cost should we have a nighttime intruder.

If we would tolerate killling or maiming another for damage to a lawn,
we're in deep trouble. Even the idea of creating hazard that would
maximize cost to the errant motorist is offensive, though I certainly
understand the motivation and won't say I'd feel otherwise. It's
still wrong..

Nick Hull

wrote:

Let's see, in December, someone abandoned a stolen truck (we're
assuming) and torched it on a side street next to our property at 2am.
You can still see the big patch of melted asphalt, but at least our
trees are re-growing.

January 4th was the first roll-over of the year. Some lady tried to
make a turn, whacked into a pick-up going 50 with an old man, a 4-year
old kid and her father in the front. The truck went over a couple
times, ended up on it's side against one of our bushes next to the
driveway. Old man had broken ribs but everyone else was alright.

February 12, we had a kid in his brand new convertable end up upside
down next to the house. No injuries but his car was totalled.

We should start a betting pool on this, we'd get rich.

You need to set up a camera to record this, you can sell the footage to
americas funniest video etc. Just tape everything and if nothjing
happened reuse the tape.

--
free men own guns - slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/
jim rozen

In article , Alan Moore says...

Heh heh heh. There's a wooden cutout (like Christmas lawn reindeer)
caricature of a cop car out on westbound 17 in California between
Los Gatos and Santa Cruz which slows people down for awhile. You come
flying around a corner on a nice road with great curves and THERE IT
IS, all of a sudden! Instantly, you grok the reason for all the black
tire marks on the pavement on the end of that curve.

They used to have one of those near Livermore, on old US 50 (or 40, or
whatever the heck it was). People learned to ignore it, and then
motorcycle cops started using it for a hiding place.

I *always* thought the the states that make radar detectors
illegal were dumb.

Those things are so ubiquitous that the cops are really missing
the boat, *IF* their goal is to slow down traffic. All they
have to do is set up fixed radar transmitters at locations
that are prone to speeding/accidents.

Of course, that shows the lie in speed enforcement. It's
not abotu safety, it's about revenue collection.

Jim

please reply to:

AlienZen

"william_b_noble" wrote in message
s.com...
right not the specific name escapes me, but the shrub is one used frequently
in Africa for that purpose - it has a shiny leaf like holly and very nasty
thorns that are about an inch long - you could probably turn it up by
looking for "thorns" and bush and fence - for example
http://www.anotherland.com/hg-1200.htm

"A Glimpse Into Maasai Circumcision Ritual " ????

I'm not real sure the threat of forced circumcision would be effective. I mean,
the logistics of importing a tribe of Maasai every time someone misses the curve
would be massive, not to mention the social outrage if the driver were female!
However, the writer of the article describes it as an incredible experience.
Perhaps National Geographic would offer a subsidy for film rights? If the front
yard were large enough, the whole community could get involved!!!

Did we, perhaps, send the wrong link there, sparky?
Mike

Larry Jaques

On Fri, 05 Mar 2004 00:35:09 GMT, Brian Henderson

wrote:

Have you complained in writing, pointing out the legal implications if
they ignore your concerns? Have you tried the idea of ringning the
emergency number every time?

911 gets calls from me at least once a month and the police and rescue
people all know me because they spend so much time cleaning up in
front of my house. As I said, this is not at all unusual.

-snip of the rest of the horror story-

Um, have you ever considered MOVING, Brian? =:0

-------------------------------
Iguana: The other green meat!
-------------------------------

zxcvbob

william_b_noble wrote:
right not the specific name escapes me, but the shrub is one used frequently
in Africa for that purpose - it has a shiny leaf like holly and very nasty
thorns that are about an inch long - you could probably turn it up by
looking for "thorns" and bush and fence

"Gorse" looks like a formidable hedge. Or pyracantha. Lilacs are not
thorny, but I think they'll grow thick enough to stop a car.

Bob
Brian Henderson

On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 16:40:21 -0800, Halvey
wrote:

Can we get a picture of this? Or an address? I'd love to see why this
curve is so...alluring?

Mine isn't the curve, that was whoever started this thread. I just
have a 2-way stop sign on a busy street and nobody looks before just
rolling through the stop.
DoN. Nichols

In article ,
jim rozen wrote:
In article , Alan Moore says...

Heh heh heh. There's a wooden cutout (like Christmas lawn reindeer)
caricature of a cop car out on westbound 17 in California between
Los Gatos and Santa Cruz which slows people down for awhile. You come

[ ... ]

I *always* thought the the states that make radar detectors
illegal were dumb.

Those things are so ubiquitous that the cops are really missing
the boat, *IF* their goal is to slow down traffic. All they
have to do is set up fixed radar transmitters at locations
that are prone to speeding/accidents.

Hmm ... you might look on eBay for a used police radar gun, and
just set it up pointed down the road. :-)

I know that they sometimes appear, as I wound up with one in a
surplus sale on an Army base. It was used by the MPs, before they moved
to newer technology.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

On Fri, 05 Mar 2004 00:35:09 GMT, Brian Henderson wrote

unless I got the snips wrong
911 gets calls from me at least once a month and the police and rescue
people all know me because they spend so much time cleaning up in
front of my house. As I said, this is not at all unusual.
-snip of the rest of the horror story-

talking about horror stories, how about this one

http://www.sundaytimes.news.com.au/c...5E2761,00.html

plus 2 shark attacks and lots of other bad news

Alan, in beautiful Golden Bay, Western Oz.
VK6 YAB VKS 737 - W 617
Fh

If you don't want to spend much $$$$ for the fence, and if the city
moth....OOps, I meant Fathers are reluctant to give you permits for
fencing/guard rails/or somesuch, get some timbers/fone poles/logs in
the neighborhood of a foot diameter and lay them along the roadway but
on your property. In fact, lay down two or 3 rows of them. When
people drive off the road and ONTO the items laying there, they will
1) damage their cars and maybe 2) get stuck ON them and require a tow.

You have not installed anything permanent, they can't vandalize it and
the city/township/county can't hassle you for it.

Go to the local power or fone company and you can get an endless
supply of damaged poles, sometimes for free.

On 2 Mar 2004 06:16:33 -0800, (Don) wrote:

Hey there, got an unusual question:

I live out in the country and part of my front yard is on a curve.
Constantly when it is wet outside, cars go too fast around it despite
signs being posted and end up sliding in my front yard. There is a
small ditch along the road that they go through and into my front
yard. Yesterday, someone even took out a bush I had planted at the end
of my driveway.

ANy bright ideas on what I could do? I thought about taking a tiller
and making the ditch deeper where it would be harder for cars to go
through. I even though of welding together some sort of guardrail to
but on my side of the ditch.

Any help woould be greatly appreciated!

Gunner

On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 00:46:37 +0800, wrote:

On Fri, 05 Mar 2004 00:35:09 GMT, Brian Henderson wrote

unless I got the snips wrong
911 gets calls from me at least once a month and the police and rescue
people all know me because they spend so much time cleaning up in
front of my house. As I said, this is not at all unusual.
-snip of the rest of the horror story-

talking about horror stories, how about this one

http://www.sundaytimes.news.com.au/c...5E2761,00.html

plus 2 shark attacks and lots of other bad news

Alan, in beautiful Golden Bay, Western Oz.
VK6 YAB VKS 737 - W 617

"The driver spent Friday night and most of yesterday under police
guard in Royal Perth Hospital with a broken arm and bruises after
being dragged from his car and attacked with a cricket bat and rake by
members of the toddler's family."

They simply should have shot the ******* and saved the system
considerable time and money.

Oh..Oz..never mind........

Gunner

"Gun Control, the theory that a 110lb grandmother should
fist fight a 250lb 19yr old criminal"
Nick Hull

In article ,
Larry Jaques wrote:

For the OP:

Rocks just large enough to hang up the car would be good.
Keep the digicam or videocamcorder in the car.
Drive down immediately after hearing the wreck.
Snap a shot or 12 of the perp.
Call both the news media and police.
Tell the media how the county hadn't done enough to prevent
this from continuing to happen, itemize expenses and actions
you have taken, and give the tape to the media.
Have the cops tow the disabled car away and arrest the drunk.

As soon as you get to the wreck be sure to deposit a couple of mostly
empty whiskey bottles inside.

--
free men own guns - slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/
Reyd Dorakeen

The solution is to prevent the people from ever driving on his yard in
the first place. I like the big boulders on your side of the property
line idea. Big pine trees may work as well.

plant some expensive slow growing trees and charge for damages maybe try
poison ivy hoping they get the irritating oil on the doors?

Old Nick

On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 05:17:35 GMT, Reyd Dorakeen vaguely
proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

I reckon the auction-bought garden ornaments are the best bet. Make
money out of the ******s.

But make sure all family members stay out of the front garden.

plant some expensive slow growing trees and charge for damages maybe try
poison ivy hoping they get the irritating oil on the doors?

************************************************** ** sorry

..........no I'm not!

Spike....Spike? Hello?
Old Nick

On 2 Mar 2004 06:16:33 -0800, (Don) vaguely
proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

Just to put this in perspective, and to illustrate the dangers. This
is extreme but did happen, right now, right here in lil ol Perth
Western Australia, pop 1.5Mil...full of nice Aussie guys and others.

"Fair go" and all that. No New York "excitement".

Never before.....

We have just had a road rage incident, where a guy's brake/tail lights
were only working on one side, and he stopped for a cyclist. Guy
behind picked an argument. The first guy pulled into his _own
driveway_.

Follower starts an argument about the lights, etc. Argument probably
escalated. Then the "plaintiff of the first part" drove down the other
guy's driveway, and slammed into his car. The slam made the
_'plaintiff's"_ car undriveable (2-3' bending of frontend)
.............and incidentally squashed a 2 year old kid between the two
cars.

He was running behind the car to see his Granpa.

I hate kids and have none. They are obnoxious little farts. I did not
like _me_ as a kid. But they are _innocent_, at 2 years old.

The only good thing to come out of this was that the "plaintiff of the
first part" 's vehicle was a screen-smashed mess... at _both_ ends.

The police have said that "as a result of his being removed from his
vehicle after the accident, he sustained injuries" (he's in hospital,
with the crap beaten out of him), and that "it is unlikely that
charges will be laid against the relatives of the deceased". (he
deserved it?)

My point is:

Somebody you care about could get hurt. This is important _before_
that happens.

Keep those vehicles off your land, or move. If the shire won't help,
ask again. If you lose somebody...or even your front lawn....in this,
then you are not at fault.

In a litigious society that I deplore, you are one of the genuine.

..........no I'm not!

Spike....Spike? Hello?