Refinish King

Default Advice to keep cars from sliding into my yard on bad curve.

Do the tiller ditch:

Then do the guard rail, but make it far enough back on your property. So
that you can put gigantic decroative stones out.

They'll learn not to speed after a few thousand dollar repair bill. What if
children were playing out there?

Just my thoughts. I hate wreckless people, especially if there is a chance
of a child being hurt, even an adult for that matter.

Refinish King

"Don" wrote in message
m...
Hey there, got an unusual question:

I live out in the country and part of my front yard is on a curve.
Constantly when it is wet outside, cars go too fast around it despite
signs being posted and end up sliding in my front yard. There is a
small ditch along the road that they go through and into my front
yard. Yesterday, someone even took out a bush I had planted at the end
of my driveway.

ANy bright ideas on what I could do? I thought about taking a tiller
and making the ditch deeper where it would be harder for cars to go
through. I even though of welding together some sort of guardrail to
but on my side of the ditch.

Any help woould be greatly appreciated!

Refinish King

If someone crosses his property line:

Due to wrecklessness or negligence. ie Driving too fast for road conditions.
They can't sue him for their damages if he put up a stone hedge.

Did you take law lessons from Saddam Huesseim or Mommar Quadaffi?

Refinish King

"Walt Springs" wrote in message
To avoid lawsuits do not place any rocks or structure that will stop

them.
You can how ever make a boggy area that will stop them the same way some

of
the 1/4 mile race tracks use at the end of the track in case someone
overshoots. The best part is they will need a tow truck to get out and you
will be able to go after them for any damages.Sweet revenge without guns,
just mud !

"Don" wrote in message
m...
Hey there, got an unusual question:

I live out in the country and part of my front yard is on a curve.
Constantly when it is wet outside, cars go too fast around it despite
signs being posted and end up sliding in my front yard. There is a
small ditch along the road that they go through and into my front
yard. Yesterday, someone even took out a bush I had planted at the end
of my driveway.

ANy bright ideas on what I could do? I thought about taking a tiller
and making the ditch deeper where it would be harder for cars to go
through. I even though of welding together some sort of guardrail to
but on my side of the ditch.

Any help woould be greatly appreciated!

Refinish King

That would be illeagle dismantling:

In other words: "Theft"

But, he could be nasty and make them get a court order to remove the car
from his property!

LOL

Good suggestion, I like your sense of humor!
Refinish King

"Ian Stirling" wrote in message
In rec.crafts.metalworking Walt Springs wrote:
To avoid lawsuits do not place any rocks or structure that will stop

them.
You can how ever make a boggy area that will stop them the same way some

of
the 1/4 mile race tracks use at the end of the track in case someone
overshoots. The best part is they will need a tow truck to get out and

you
will be able to go after them for any damages.Sweet revenge without

guns,
just mud !

Do they have any right to tow off your land without your permission?
Can you dismantle the car, and sell it for parts?

Tony

What about planting Kudzu, the vines would stop the car and by morning you
wouldn't even see it.....I can send you some....

Tony...
Jack wrote in message
How about a moat?

-J

Refinish King

If a thief breaks a leg on my property:

As the general said: "Take no prisoners, and leave none!"

The poor thief would have broken his neck too. Mr Police man, how did he get
hurt so bad?

One less criminal to worry about, house and feed with our tax dollars too!

Refinish King

"Al Patrick" wrote in message
I think you have the right idea. Deepen the ditch and then they can
ROLL across it into your front porch -- if going fast enough. However,
it will probably stop those who aren't speeding toooo fast. Be careful
of tampering with anything within the right of way.

You could add a guard rail. Make it LOOK strong enough to demolish the
entire car if they hit it. This way they can see it when the road is
dry and IMAGINE what will happen if they slide into it. HOWEVER, I'd
make it "breakable" so they don't get killed when they hit. . . . Kind
of like the highway barriers. Colors: Black & Yellow - alternating!

Talk with the city, county or state that maintains that part of the road
and ask if you can BORROW some highway barriers to put up.

Plant trees or thorny bushes along that area.

BE SURE TO KEEP ANYTHING WELL ON YOUR SIDE OF THE RIGHT OF WAY!

* * * * Above all, document costs, get license numbers (tag & drivers)
and force several of them to pay -- plenty. * * * * The court
publicity will help deter others -- maybe! HIRE the work done and DON'T
TAKE THE LOW BIDDER. :-)

Talk to the folks at some cemetery and see if they'll give you some of
the flowers they take up off the graves periodically. Take these
flowers and put them in a place or two near this curve to make it appear
someone has already gotten killed there! ;-) I'm sure you've seen this
done along the highway were someone has gotten killed.

Just a few ideas of my own. You may want to check with an attorney
before doing any of the above. In this screwed up system a burglar can
walk onto your property at night, intending to steal all you have, step
into a hole the dog dug in the yard and then sue you and/or your home
owner's insurance company for damages to his broken leg, etc. -- AND
COLLECT!

==================

Don wrote:
Hey there, got an unusual question:

I live out in the country and part of my front yard is on a curve.
Constantly when it is wet outside, cars go too fast around it despite
signs being posted and end up sliding in my front yard. There is a
small ditch along the road that they go through and into my front
yard. Yesterday, someone even took out a bush I had planted at the end
of my driveway.

ANy bright ideas on what I could do? I thought about taking a tiller
and making the ditch deeper where it would be harder for cars to go
through. I even though of welding together some sort of guardrail to
but on my side of the ditch.

Any help woould be greatly appreciated!

Refinish King

Personally:

I like log fencing, there is no law that says I can't reinforce it with 1.5"
rebar either!

It's my fence, if they are driving at an unsafe speed and are risking a
catastrophe. I am not liable.

Screw em, let them pay higher insurance premiums, and let my children be
safe and my grand children have a mother around while I'm alive!

Refinish King

"Bob Paulin" wrote in message

Don wrote in article
.. .
Hey there, got an unusual question:

I live out in the country and part of my front yard is on a curve.
Constantly when it is wet outside, cars go too fast around it despite
signs being posted and end up sliding in my front yard. There is a
small ditch along the road that they go through and into my front
yard. Yesterday, someone even took out a bush I had planted at the end
of my driveway.

ANy bright ideas on what I could do? I thought about taking a tiller
and making the ditch deeper where it would be harder for cars to go
through. I even though of welding together some sort of guardrail to
but on my side of the ditch.

Any help woould be greatly appreciated!

In the town I grew up in, one guy had a similar problem with cars failing
to make a curve at the end of a high-speed stretch of road, and ending up
in his back yard.

He placed some seven to ten-foot tall boulders in the path.

Problem is, in today's litigous society, anything you place in the

possible
path of a car just might make you libel for injuries that might not have
occured if the obstacle was not there, and the person's car simply came to
a stop in your yard with no man-made obstacles placed in their path -
especially since there is a history/precedent of people walking away
uninjured from forays into your front yard prior to you setting up any
barriers, etc.

We've all read about burglars suing homeowners for unsafe conditions
causing injury while they were attempting to commit a crime. There are
lawyers who are willing to launch just about any sort of lawsuit -
frivolous or not.

I would lobby the local government for some sort of guardrail, or
government-placed barrier - which should absolve you of any

responsibility.

I also think a visit to your lawyer to determine what you can do without
placing yourself in jeopardy might be a good first step. Get his opinion

in
writing, if you can.

Refinish King

Agreed!

When you cross a property line, the property owner is absolved from any
liability. With the exception of them booby trapping the ptoperty. Which
opens the door for liabilaty and criminal prosecution.

Refinish King

"The Guy" wrote in message

\

[...]

I live in a suburban area. Speed limits are generally 25 mph here. For
years during wet weather, inattentive drivers would speed down a nearby
hill and slide across an intersection, occasionally making contact with
a house.

The problem was resolved by installing two rebar reinforced cement core
columns, with brick facing, just inside the property line. Each column
is about 2.5 feet square. In the last decade, about half a dozen cars
have jumped the curb and impacted one of the columns. In each case, the
driver was cited for careless driving and required to pay for repairs to
the column, landscaping and curbs.

A couple of lawyers attempted to push liability onto the home owner and
were laughed out of court. One judge told a lawyer that unless a column
fell over the property line, unassisted, and landed on someone,
liability was just not an issue.

Tim

--
No BoomBoom for me! -

Refinish King

What about hospitals and many commercial properties:

Heaven forbid you make the mistake of trying to back up into a parking lane
to get a spot, POP, Pop, and if you're stupid enough! Pop, Pop. Now you need
four new tires!

Is that hospital or commercial property owner liable?

Please answer that for me?

Thank you,

Refinish King

"Tim Wescott" wrote in message

"The Guy" wrote in message

\

[...]

Beware! That sort of attitude varys widely (if not wildly) by state -- in
California if you spill hot coffie on your crotch then Starbucks is
responsible, even if you brewed it at home. In Kansas they laugh you out

of
the courthouse.

zxcvbob

Refinish King wrote:

What about hospitals and many commercial properties:

Heaven forbid you make the mistake of trying to back up into a parking lane
to get a spot, POP, Pop, and if you're stupid enough! Pop, Pop. Now you need
four new tires!

Is that hospital or commercial property owner liable?

Please answer that for me?

Thank you,
Refinish King

Pop Pop from what? Spikes to keep you from entering or backing up an exit
ramp? I've never seen spikes like that in a *parking space*.

Bob

Refinish King

Claymores are people deterents,

land mines are the ticket, but when his kids or neighbors walk on them. Then
what?

My vote: Throw grenades into the cars that get onto the property, maybe not
into them. But, close enough. That they'll have to go home and wash the
double bacon strips out of their shorts!

Refinish King
"HeatMan" wrote in message
hlink.net...
Call the cops every time it happens and get them to make a report, even if
the offender is gone. Keep copies of these reports.

Take the copies of the reports to the commissioners/city council and ask

for
a speed bump be installed. When they don't, ask them what you can do.
Document it and make it happen.

If it were my yard, I'd use Claymore mines....

"Don" wrote in message
m...
Hey there, got an unusual question:

I live out in the country and part of my front yard is on a curve.
Constantly when it is wet outside, cars go too fast around it despite
signs being posted and end up sliding in my front yard. There is a
small ditch along the road that they go through and into my front
yard. Yesterday, someone even took out a bush I had planted at the end
of my driveway.

ANy bright ideas on what I could do? I thought about taking a tiller
and making the ditch deeper where it would be harder for cars to go
through. I even though of welding together some sort of guardrail to
but on my side of the ditch.

Any help woould be greatly appreciated!

The Guy

wrote:
On Tue, 02 Mar 2004 20:37:45 GMT,
(Rex B)
wrote:

"Watch for Nudists, next 1.5 miles"
(appropriate sillouhette graphic)
Rex in Fort Worth

Better make that an umm... shapely graphic. I sure wouldn't slow down
at the thought of catching a glimpse of your "average" nudist.

I'm reading this in RCM, so the obvious answer is to build one of
these
http://www.thefabricator.com/xp/Fabr...3/03web241.xml
Anybody who won't slow down to look at a dinosaur made out of tractor
parts deserves to crash into it. :-)

Wayne

I imagine that any of those sculptures would put a hurting on the
average rice burner...

Tim
--
No BoomBoom for me! -

The Guy

zxcvbob wrote:

The Guy wrote:

\

[...]

I was thinking about a section of fence inside the property line
(right-of-way/easement/whatever.) Sections of telephone pole sunk deep
in the ground at each end, a single 5/8" or 3/4" wire rope back and
forth about 3 times between the poles so it looks like 3 strands of
barbwire. Don't stretch the cable too tight, so when someone hits it it
will have some "give" to it. Plant some sturdy bushes just inside it,
and see if the county will put a barrier sign in front (alternating
yellow and black diagonal bands.)

-Bob

Not a bad idea. I would ensure that the fence is on your property and
check with the local building inspector to determine if any permit or
variance was required to erect that type of fence. As long as it is
legal, you should be OK.

Anyone who subsequently trespasses on your property and damages your
yard art / fence will have some explaining to do.

Tim
--
No BoomBoom for me! -

On Tue, 02 Mar 2004 22:48:57 GMT, Jeff Cochran
wrote:

1) Move

2) Get the county to install a guardrail

3) Big trees, preferably 50 year oaks

4) Lawyers

Yeah. I like that. A big pile of lawyers oughta stop them, and if it
doesn't... small loss.
jim rozen

In article , Don says...

Hey there, got an unusual question:

What a lot of suggestions. The best way to stop a car
gently (this is seen around race courses a lot) is
to install a buffer zone of deep gravel around the property,
where they run off. The kinetic energy of the car goes
into throwing the gravel around.

Another good idea seen in cases like this is to make
an earth embankment that will deflect their vehicle.
I've seen this done with the occasional, artistic,
one cubic foot rocks placed around the rock garden
to further frustrate the path of the runaway car.

But coarse gravel will slow them down, and an earth
embankment at least three feet high will deflect
them.

please reply to:

Larry Jaques

On Tue, 02 Mar 2004 16:50:39 GMT, Ecnerwal
brought forth from the murky
depths:

In article , "Wayne" makowicki
wrote:

The last house I owned we had the same problem 9 out of 10 drivers just
left, leaving me a mess. The few that couldn't leave were so drunk the just
looked up. One lady had a car that most have been 2 weeks old. I went to
talk to her and she drove off with sticks and grass jammed in her tires.

In this sort of case, a camera with appropriate sensor (or if you're
home, simply eyeballing the license plate) followed by running the plate
number with a charge of leaving the scene of an accident, plus the
damages, etc. might be of some use.

That's the best idea yet.
Second best is a hefty wooden fence which would damage
their cars but not the idiots inside. Most wouldn't be
drivable so he could get 'em for drunk driving, make
them pay for repairs, and possibly more. Just don't make
it look like it's for that purpose. If the lowest rail
was just above bumper height and it took out the radiator,
it would be a real shame, huh?

..-.
Better Living Through Denial
---
http://www.diversify.com Wondrous Website Design

Ian Stirling

In rec.crafts.metalworking Tony wrote:
Trying to get reliable license plate recognition with security cameras might
be more costly than you think.

2-3 megapixel cameras are pretty cheap.
A wire-break sensor, some 5 or so 500W floodlights, and the camera in a
convenient place triggered to go off several times.
Nick Hull

In article
,
"Leo Lichtman" wrote:

bales. Actually, hay bales with ivy growing over them might be sort of
attractive.

Try planting blackberries instead. Pretty flowers in the spring, tasty
berries and thorns to shread flesh.

--
free men own guns - slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/
HeatMan

The claymore will pepper the car with the pellets. It won't hurt the
people, but do an (hopefully) good bit of damage to the car.

After all, it was the cars fault it was in the yard, not the drivers. It's
sort of like it's the guns fault some one's dead, not the person that pulled
the trigger.

"Refinish King" wrote in
message news

"Don" wrote in message
m...
Hey there, got an unusual question:

I live out in the country and part of my front yard is on a curve.
Constantly when it is wet outside, cars go too fast around it despite
signs being posted and end up sliding in my front yard. There is a
small ditch along the road that they go through and into my front
yard. Yesterday, someone even took out a bush I had planted at the end
of my driveway.

ANy bright ideas on what I could do? I thought about taking a tiller
and making the ditch deeper where it would be harder for cars to go
through. I even though of welding together some sort of guardrail to
but on my side of the ditch.

Any help woould be greatly appreciated!

Roy J

How about a row of used railroad ties set well back from the
ditch? Bury them upright, 4' on center, decorative bevel cut at
8" on the road side, 12" on the house side. Plant Peonies around
them for decoration. Any car that goes into the yard will go over
the posts and hang up. Removal will require a wrecker and a
serious amount of damage to the undercarraige. Gives you plenty
of time to get the license number and insurance information to
collect damages. Be sure to call the cops every time so they fill
out the accident reports.

Don wrote:

Hey there, got an unusual question:

I live out in the country and part of my front yard is on a curve.
Constantly when it is wet outside, cars go too fast around it despite
signs being posted and end up sliding in my front yard. There is a
small ditch along the road that they go through and into my front
yard. Yesterday, someone even took out a bush I had planted at the end
of my driveway.

ANy bright ideas on what I could do? I thought about taking a tiller
and making the ditch deeper where it would be harder for cars to go
through. I even though of welding together some sort of guardrail to
but on my side of the ditch.

Any help woould be greatly appreciated!

AJScott

In article ,
Roy J wrote:

How about a row of used railroad ties set well back from the
ditch? Bury them upright, 4' on center, decorative bevel cut at
8" on the road side, 12" on the house side. Plant Peonies around
them for decoration. Any car that goes into the yard will go over
the posts and hang up. Removal will require a wrecker and a
serious amount of damage to the undercarraige. Gives you plenty
of time to get the license number and insurance information to
collect damages. Be sure to call the cops every time so they fill
out the accident reports.

Railroad ties are OK if'n you like 'em. The only thing I've found RR
ties useful for are homes for hornets and carpenter ants.

Uh, on second thought, maybe every drunk smashing his car into a
decorative RR tie barrier deserves to get attacked by a whole nest of
****ed-off yellowjackets.

AJS
AJScott

In article ,
"TexasFireGuy" wrote:

Spend a small fortune and have some giant redwoods trucked in and lined up
along the curve. They're a bitch to plant, but you won't get any vehicles
in your yard.

True, but then he'd have every dog in the neighborhood peeing all over
those nice expensive trees. Probably more than a few passing 2am drunks
with their back teeth floating, too.

AJS
Brian Henderson

On Tue, 02 Mar 2004 15:41:16 -0500, Brian Lawson
wrote:

Definitely check with the local road maintenance authority. Ask them
to do something about it so that you won't ever have to sue if one of
your children or grandchildren get killed now that they know about it.

It doesn't do a damn bit of good around here. I live on a relatively
busy street with an intersection that has to stop, but not the
cross-street. I have at least one car rolling into my yard per month.
They don't bother to stop or look at the stop sign, they just roll
around the corner and get plastered by someone coming down the road at
50mph. While there haven't been any fatalities in the past four years
we've lived here, we've heard from neighbors that this is not a new
problem and several people have died over the years. In fact, I found
out that the RV parking that I have at that corner of the property
used to be a garage until someone launched their car at it.

I've complained to the city many times. They ignore it. The same is
true of other people along the street. No reaction for decades now.

You could try a big sign that says "NUDIST CAMP AHEAD - WATCH FOR
PEDESTRIANS ALONG SHOULDER OF CURVE". That was a recent suggestion
here on RCM a while back I think.

I put up a sign on the stop sign for a while that read "We have 12-15
accidents on this corner per year due to negligent drivers. Please
drive carefully". Someone ripped it down.

zxcvbob

wrote:

[...]

The county probably took it down. Illegal sign.

Seriously,
Bob
Sunworshiper

On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 10:27:08 GMT, Ian Stirling
wrote:

In rec.crafts.metalworking Tony wrote:
Trying to get reliable license plate recognition with security cameras might
be more costly than you think.

2-3 megapixel cameras are pretty cheap.
A wire-break sensor, some 5 or so 500W floodlights, and the camera in a
convenient place triggered to go off several times.

Will you spell it out? Someone took a crow bar to the corner window
of my truck last night and took about every important tool I had. I
have to fix this problem. Is there a way to set off the cameras
automatically after the lights come on without flashes and multiple
shots ? I need to call the junk yard and I don't have a screw driver
little alone the other tools to get it off the one I may find. The
SWMBO wants a fence so the dog can get all around ASAP.
I'm afraid , if I had my way I'd put up a 9' block wall with broken
bottles in holes so they are replaceable. 0
Ian Stirling

wrote:

In rec.crafts.metalworking Tony wrote:
Trying to get reliable license plate recognition with security cameras might
be more costly than you think.

2-3 megapixel cameras are pretty cheap.
A wire-break sensor, some 5 or so 500W floodlights, and the camera in a
convenient place triggered to go off several times.

Will you spell it out? Someone took a crow bar to the corner window
of my truck last night and took about every important tool I had. I
have to fix this problem. Is there a way to set off the cameras
automatically after the lights come on without flashes and multiple
shots ? I need to call the junk yard and I don't have a screw driver

Hmm.
Not quite trivial.
I think the best way is to probably ask over in the rec.photo.digital
groups about what cameras are amenable to this sort of thing.
How much clue do you have with electricity and general DIY?
Sunworshiper

wrote:

[...]

DIY ? I have a friend that can handle it, just wondering what you
know and it seemed like a cost effective way from what I interpreted.
It looks like a fence and dog. One of the cats is not going to like
that.
Nick Hull

In article ,
AJScott wrote:

In article ,
"TexasFireGuy" wrote:

Spend a small fortune and have some giant redwoods trucked in and lined up
along the curve. They're a bitch to plant, but you won't get any vehicles
in your yard.

True, but then he'd have every dog in the neighborhood peeing all over
those nice expensive trees. Probably more than a few passing 2am drunks
with their back teeth floating, too.

A small insulated chicken wire fence wired into 110vac with a 100 watt
bulb in series (current limiting) will discourage dogs & drunks peeing.
My father tried it, and you could still hear them yipping a mile away.

--
free men own guns - slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/

Ian Stirling

wrote:

[...]

It is cost effective, if you know enough stuff to do it, or a friend who
does.
I could probably do it, but it would involve some work tracking down
camera models that would suit, and designing the rest, not something I
have time for at the moment.

You might try looking for conventional (non-digital) cameras that would
suit.
A camera shop may be a good place to start, or one of the photography groups.

The basic way would be a sensor to detect intrusion, some means of lighting
(flash, or not) and some means of triggering the cameras to take pictures.
However, without knowing exact details it's hard to advise.

I'm not quite clear on what you'r trying to detect, is it cars, or intruders?
PIR floodlights with integrated video cameras are widely available, and
may suit, though are a bit pricy for decent video.
Look over on various security groups for lists of stuff.
Old Nick

On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 20:13:14 GMT, Brian Henderson
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

I have at least one car rolling into my yard per month.

I've complained to the city many times. They ignore it. The same is
true of other people along the street. No reaction for decades now.

Have you complained in writing, pointing out the legal implications if
they ignore your concerns? Have you tried the idea of ringning the
emergency number every time?
************************************************** ** sorry

..........no I'm not!

Spike....Spike? Hello?
dann mann

As for your stolen tools..
go to the local pawn shops and retrieve your tools.
Pawn shops are just fences. They knowingl buy stolen merchandise befor
any police report has been filed.
You might have to pay to get your property back. I did in california but
at least it was finally returned.

zxcvbob

Nick Hull wrote:
In article ,
AJScott wrote:

In article ,
"TexasFireGuy" wrote:

Spend a small fortune and have some giant redwoods trucked in and lined up
along the curve. They're a bitch to plant, but you won't get any vehicles
in your yard.

True, but then he'd have every dog in the neighborhood peeing all over
those nice expensive trees. Probably more than a few passing 2am drunks
with their back teeth floating, too.

A small insulated chicken wire fence wired into 110vac with a 100 watt
bulb in series (current limiting) will discourage dogs & drunks peeing.
My father tried it, and you could still hear them yipping a mile away.

A light bulb will not limit the initial current -- it's almost a dead
short until the filament heats up. It will limit the steady-state
current to about 850 mA, but this is a *far* from safe level.

If you're gonna electrify a fence, buy a UL listed fence charger.
Otherwise you are likely to find yourself in prison for a long time if
you kill someone with your boobytrap. I recommend a 6V battery operated
mechanical fence charger -- they generate a painful jolt of about 900V
(it's about like touching a sparkplug) and the voltage is low enough
that it won't arc over the insulators as easily as an electronic or
"solid state" charger. And it won't start a fire like the old "weed
burner" fence chargers.

-Bob
Ecnerwal

There are DIY articles available for building a camera system to get
pictures of deer (so you can decide which game trails to hunt, I guess -
I've never been a terribly serious deer hunter) based on motion sensors
from lighting systems and modifications to cameras. Tends to keep going
out of date as the specific models that someone has figured out where to
hook up to keep changing, but might be a lot simpler to do in this case.

You can also purchase non-DIY versions of the same thing based on motion
sensors, for about 10X the cost of the DIY setup.

I suspect the "wire-break" sensor someone mentioned would be a lot
better for this purpose (no/less false alarms), and the availability
(presumably) of power in your front yard makes some aspects simpler. Put
a bunch of lights where they shine on the yard, and set those off when
the wire breaks.

At the low end, without camera modification, a small circuit to punch a
solenoid that triggered the camera (via cable release, or directly if
it's a cheap camera with no cable release) a few times at intervals
after the wire broke would do - could even be a film camera, rather than
a digital, so long as it has autowind. One which put a time/date stamp
on would be a nice touch, if the camera clock was set correctly. Use a
camera with no flash and enough lights to still get good pictures, so
the camera flash is not giving the camera away. If you're fiddling with
a camera you don't mind modifying, you might be able to skip the
solenoid and access the shutter release contacts electrically. Might
also be able to get rid of the camera batteries and make it plug in to
the wall, so that you don't have to make sure the batteries are still
good if nobody crashes into your yard for a few months.

At the high end, some sort of digital video setup which continuously
recorded a loop of 2-5 minutes or so and had a means of getting
information from the sensor wire to know that it should now save the
recorded loop (thus getting them even before they hit the wire) and
anything else that will fit (at least another 5 minutes) on its disk
would be nice. More work, probably far more cost, unless you have the
right toys in the junkbox.

Hide the camera (or cameras) well, in any case.