Posted to alt.machines.cnc,misc.survivalism,rec.crafts.metalworking
Cliff

Default OT - The Gear We Leave Behind

http://www.theledger.com/apps/pbcs.d...603100338/1036
[
"We're getting ready for tsunamis. We're getting ready for earthquakes. We're
getting ready for forest fires. Cut all that back and I think you're left with a
really troublesome situation."
-- Washington state Gov. Chris Gregoire, one of several governors who recently
asked President Bush not make reductions in National Guard forces and to return
guard equipment that has been left in Iraq.

The government has given whole new meaning to the old phrase "You can't take it
with you." A Government Accountability Office report says that in the past three
years, National Guard troops have been obliged to leave 64,000 pieces of
equipment, worth $1.2 billion, in Iraq.
]
Posted to alt.machines.cnc,misc.survivalism,rec.crafts.metalworking

Cliff wrote:
http://www.theledger.com/apps/pbcs.d...603100338/1036
[
"We're getting ready for tsunamis. We're getting ready for earthquakes. We're
getting ready for forest fires. Cut all that back and I think you're left with a
really troublesome situation."
-- Washington state Gov. Chris Gregoire, one of several governors who recently
asked President Bush not make reductions in National Guard forces and to return
guard equipment that has been left in Iraq.

The government has given whole new meaning to the old phrase "You can't take it
with you." A Government Accountability Office report says that in the past three
years, National Guard troops have been obliged to leave 64,000 pieces of
equipment, worth $1.2 billion, in Iraq.
]

Common practice to leave working stuff for the replacements.

Common practice to leave broken stuff.

Common practice to disable stuff you can't bring back.

Posted to alt.machines.cnc,misc.survivalism,rec.crafts.metalworking
Tim May

In article , Cliff
wrote:

http://www.theledger.com/apps/pbcs.d...S/603100338/10
36
[
"We're getting ready for tsunamis. We're getting ready for earthquakes. We're
getting ready for forest fires. Cut all that back and I think you're left
with a
really troublesome situation."
-- Washington state Gov. Chris Gregoire, one of several governors who recently
asked President Bush not make reductions in National Guard forces and to
return
guard equipment that has been left in Iraq.

The government has given whole new meaning to the old phrase "You can't take
it
with you." A Government Accountability Office report says that in the past
three
years, National Guard troops have been obliged to leave 64,000 pieces of
equipment, worth $1.2 billion, in Iraq.

That hastily-abandoned equipment, including munitions, is being put to
good use by the freedom fighter, though.

So there's a silver lining.

--Tim May
Posted to alt.machines.cnc,misc.survivalism,rec.crafts.metalworking
Glenn Ashmore

The theory is that it will be used by troops remaining but it leaves the
guard with nothing to train on when they get home. Another indication that
the Shrub and his neocon cronies have the foresight of an ant.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

"Cliff" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to alt.machines.cnc,misc.survivalism,rec.crafts.metalworking
F. George McDuffee

This can be seen as an effort to reduce the military to only
those units with primary allegiance to the President and *NOT*
the Constitution/People.

Every few years some agency conducts a survey of the U.S.
military to determine how many would fire on American citizens if
ordered to do so. Every few years the results are that a
(declining) majority would not do so, with almost no reserve or
national guard personnel willing to do so.

The run-down in equipment and reduction in National Guard
personnel/readiness thus has a darker explication than mere
stupidity. In the worst case it may be deliberate and brilliant
policy solution to a problem.

Unka George

On Fri, 10 Mar 2006 19:54:19 -0500, "Glenn Ashmore"
wrote:

The theory is that it will be used by troops remaining but it leaves the
guard with nothing to train on when they get home. Another indication that
the Shrub and his neocon cronies have the foresight of an ant.

Posted to alt.machines.cnc,misc.survivalism,rec.crafts.metalworking
Jeff McCann

"Glenn Ashmore" wrote in message
The theory is that it will be used by troops remaining but it leaves the
guard with nothing to train on when they get home. Another indication

that
the Shrub and his neocon cronies have the foresight of an ant.

Shouldn't that be "the foresght of a grasshopper"? You know, from the fable
"The Grasshopper and the Ant," by Aesop.

Jeff

Posted to alt.machines.cnc,misc.survivalism,rec.crafts.metalworking
Dick

LOL! I can't believe you said that. This administration and Rep. Congress
have pushed thru more pork than any admin. in the history of the U.S.

Dick

--
Richard H. Neighbors
Building and repairing fine billiard cues for real pool players at
"Steve W." wrote in message
Hate to tell you this but that has been SOP since there was an Army. You
leave the heavy stuff in theater since it is much more difficult to
transport the same equipment in/out with every unit. Makes no sense to
transport an Abrams or a field gun around when it is needed by the folks
who are using it daily. As for the Guard not having gear you can than
Slick and his friends for gutting the military for 8 years. GWB has been
pushing increased money for the troops and gear but the left keeps
crying that they need to spend it on their pork projects instead.

"Cliff" wrote in message

[...]

Newsgroups
=----

Posted to alt.machines.cnc,misc.survivalism,rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Gardner

....and the *******s are using new rotor bolts on the Blackhawks rather than
cleaning the thread-lock off the old ones, tensile testing and re-using. I
figure I make about $5 for each bolt they clean with the system I developed
for them. The 2 tractor-trailor loads of equipment to re-cert the bolts
never went to Iraq...too expensive. It's probably cheaper to do it their
way in-theatre for more than just these bolts but it sure sounds good to the
foil helmet crowd to bash Bush. I want to hear how Bush caused the latest
solar activity problem that will plague the Earth for years to come, did he
use the super-secret ray gun that he used to cause tsunamis and huricanes?
Are there poor black people on the Sun?

Posted to alt.machines.cnc,misc.survivalism,rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 03:33:37 GMT, "Dick" wrote:

LOL! I can't believe you said that. This administration and Rep. Congress
have pushed thru more pork than any admin. in the history of the U.S.

Dick

Got cites?

As an antie..Ill raise you Lyndon Baines Johnson and his Great
Society....

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3
Posted to alt.machines.cnc,misc.survivalism,rec.crafts.metalworking
PrecisionMechanicaL

"Cliff" wrote in message

http://www.contemplator.com/england/girl.html

--

SVL

Posted to alt.machines.cnc,misc.survivalism,rec.crafts.metalworking
Cliff

On Fri, 10 Mar 2006 21:45:57 -0500, "Steve W." wrote:

GWB has been pushing increased money for the troops

BS.
He's cut a LOT from them.
Health care as just one example.
The cuts were in his proposed budgets.

But their parents can buy & send them body armor ....
--
Cliff
Posted to alt.machines.cnc,misc.survivalism,rec.crafts.metalworking
Cliff

On Fri, 10 Mar 2006 21:45:57 -0500, "Steve W." wrote:

GWB has been
pushing increased money for the troops and gear but the left keeps
crying that they need to spend it on their pork projects instead.

The WAR party controls BOTH houses AND the administration (and now
much of the court system, secret or otherwise, often ignored anyway).
--
Cliff
Posted to alt.machines.cnc,misc.survivalism,rec.crafts.metalworking
Cliff

On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 05:16:51 GMT, "Tom Gardner"
wrote:

Are there poor black people on the Sun?

On the ports issues:

Stage one: "I don't know anything about it. We have ports? What are they?"

Stage two: "A must sell for national security. So what if I only inspect 1%
of the cargo (briefly) now?" And the borders leak like sieves?

Stage three: "I will veto the funding for my wars as well as for New Orleans
& the Gulf Coast [probably including Trent Lott's house] unless I can sell these
ports to my good friends."

Stage four: "I'm a war hero again!! I blocked the sale of those few ports
(as far as I will tell anyone my secrets)!!"

Does this guy go sailing on the bin Laden Yachts like his relatives?

Bush non-secret military sales/transfers to the UAE:
http://www.fas.org/asmp/profiles/not...=2005&typein=%
To Bahrain:
http://www.fas.org/asmp/profiles/not...=2005&typein=%
To Israel:
http://www.fas.org/asmp/profiles/not...=2005&typein=%
Search he http://www.fas.org/asmp/profiles/world.html

Seems to be quite a lot missing.
--
Cliff
Posted to alt.machines.cnc,misc.survivalism,rec.crafts.metalworking
Glenn Ashmore

"Steve W." wrote
As for the Guard not having gear you can than
Slick and his friends for gutting the military for 8 years. GWB has been
pushing increased money for the troops and gear but the left keeps
crying that they need to spend it on their pork projects instead.

Afraid you got that backwards my friend. Allocations for the Guard went UP
during the Clinton years. During Gulf I Units of the Georgia guard were not
deployed because their equipment was to out of date and personnel under
trained. During the Clinton administration they got new Abrams tanks, new
APCs and a bigger budget for training. The Shrub CUT spending for the guard
over the last 4 years and stripped it of much of its equipment. Just last
month cut manpower targets by 35,000.

When they get home this summer the 48th will have almost no equipment at
all and no plans in place to replace any.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Posted to alt.machines.cnc,misc.survivalism,rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve W. wrote:
Hate to tell you this but that has been SOP since there was an Army. You
leave the heavy stuff in theater since it is much more difficult to
transport the same equipment in/out with every unit. Makes no sense to
transport an Abrams or a field gun around when it is needed by the folks
who are using it daily. As for the Guard not having gear you can than
Slick and his friends for gutting the military for 8 years.

I was there, but the initial order to drawdown came from Daddy Bush.

GWB has been
pushing increased money for the troops and gear but the left keeps
crying that they need to spend it on their pork projects instead.

Called it "The Peace Dividend."

Posted to alt.machines.cnc,misc.survivalism,rec.crafts.metalworking

Cliff wrote:
On Fri, 10 Mar 2006 21:45:57 -0500, "Steve W." wrote:

GWB has been pushing increased money for the troops

BS.
He's cut a LOT from them.
Health care as just one example.
The cuts were in his proposed budgets.

But their parents can buy & send them body armor ....
--
Cliff

We never had "body armor." We had flak vests and helmets.

Maybe in the end it was a good thing that the Guard was deployed And
Refused To Follow Orders.

Now everyone has body armor.

Posted to alt.machines.cnc,misc.survivalism,rec.crafts.metalworking
Cliff

On 11 Mar 2006 05:55:11 -0800, wrote:

Now everyone has body armor.

Their parents could all afford it?
"Welcomed with opened arms (machine guns, bombs, rifles,
grenades, rockets, assorted car bombs, suicide bombers, .... )"
--
Cliff
Posted to alt.machines.cnc,misc.survivalism,rec.crafts.metalworking
Glenn Ashmore

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
. ..
How about outfitting the Rutu with Tomahawks and leasing it for training?

Nah, I figure a couple of Ecocets or AGM-84 Harpoons to discourage the jet
skiers. :-)

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Posted to alt.machines.cnc,misc.survivalism,rec.crafts.metalworking
F. George McDuffee

On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 07:53:43 GMT, Gunner
wrote:
On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 03:33:37 GMT, "Dick" wrote:
LOL! I can't believe you said that. This administration and Rep. Congress
have pushed thru more pork than any admin. in the history of the U.S.
Dick

Got cites?
As an antie..Ill raise you Lyndon Baines Johnson and his Great
Society....
Gunner

------------------------
Which is why I keep saying a choice between tweedle-dumb and
tweedle-dumber is no choice at all. But then again this is from
the perspective of the citizen that is a tax payer and not a tax
eater.

From the perspective of the people that are getting rich from
governmental spending, when adjusted for inflation, I say that
Bush II wins. LBJ was no piker, but a lot of what he spent was
spread around. While money may not cure poverty it sure was a
good anodyne....

Unka George
Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 10:23:24 -0500, "J. Clarke"

Cliff wrote:
On Fri, 10 Mar 2006 21:45:57 -0500, "Steve W." wrote:

GWB has been pushing increased money for the troops

BS.
He's cut a LOT from them.
Health care as just one example.
The cuts were in his proposed budgets.

But their parents can buy & send them body armor ....
--
Cliff

We never had "body armor." We had flak vests and helmets.

Maybe in the end it was a good thing that the Guard was deployed And
Refused To Follow Orders.

Now everyone has body armor.

This is the first war since the Middle Ages in which there was body armor
available that was good enough to be worth the effort of lugging it around.
While it _should_ have occurred to someone to issue it across the board I'm
not at all surprised that it didn't.

Not all personell in military MOS needed body armor. Truck mechanics
seldom needed body armor, as an example in most wars, as they were
generally way back behind the lines.

Ever wear body armor in high temperatures? As any cop how it feels to
wear the simple Level II wrap around vests in the summer time. Even
when they have air conditioned patrol cars.
Then put on a Level III-IV vest with chicken plate, along with your
LBE and try to operate in 115-125F temps for days at a time.

The Sandbox poses a unique set of requirements, as there are no lines
per se and even mechanics and computer geeks may be attacked by IEDs
simply going to work. Hence in the early stages, many MOS were not
thought to need body armor, same with up armor on Hummers etc, which
were pressed into combat rolls they were never designed to meet..that
of a armored scout vehicle.

Requirements change with the combat roll and the theater itself.

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3
Posted to alt.machines.cnc,misc.survivalism,rec.crafts.metalworking
F. George McDuffee

This thread seems like a logical place to post this.

Unka George

It is always dangerous to extrapolate from a sample of one,
however the following instance appears to be typical of the
rapidly increasing number of "flakes," "whack jobs' and "head
cases" infesting the policy making positions of American
government at all levels.

Note to Cliff:
== Unfortunately, neither major party has a monopoly. ==

While the people that steal for themselves, as in the following
article, cause enough problems, it is the functionaries in
government that seem compelled to steal "because it is there"
that are the greatest danger, i.e. eminent domain seizure of your
home so that other people can get rich, oil give-away, etc.

Is there any sort of psychological test that candidates for these
positions can be required to take that will weed out at least the
more egregious?

======== Excerpt from AP article follows ==============

Bush Shocked -- Shocked by Arrest of Former Adviser

By DEB RIECHMANN, Associated Press Writer 41 minutes ago

WASHINGTON -
President Bush on Saturday said he was shocked and saddened to
learn that former domestic policy adviser Claude Allen was
charged with theft for allegedly receiving phony refunds at
department stores.

"When I heard the story last night, I was shocked, and my first
reaction was one of disappointment, deep disappointment - if it's
true - that we were not fully informed," Bush said. "Shortly
thereafter, I felt really sad for the Allen family."

Allen, 45, was arrested Thursday by police in Montgomery County,
Md., for allegedly claiming refunds for more than $5,000 worth of
merchandise he did not buy, according to county and federal
authorities. He had been under investigation since at least
January for alleged thefts on 25 occasions at Target and Hecht's
stores.

mtk
For rest of story see:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060311/...NlYwN5bmNhdA--

For Ruters story see:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060311/...NlYwN5bmNhdA--

For a definition of "kleptocracy" see:
http://www.bartleby.com/61/38/K0083800.html

For a discussion about its proliferation see:
http://proliberty.com/observer/20000717.htm
http://www.pacificresearch.org/pub/c.../99-09-14.html
http://www.pastpeak.com/archives/200...tocracy_in.htm
and for a whole bunch more -- Google kleptocracy
Posted to alt.machines.cnc,misc.survivalism,rec.crafts.metalworking
Richard W.

wrote:
On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 03:33:37 GMT, "Dick" wrote:
LOL! I can't believe you said that. This administration and Rep.

Congress
have pushed thru more pork than any admin. in the history of the U.S.
Dick

Got cites?
As an antie..Ill raise you Lyndon Baines Johnson and his Great
Society....
Gunner

------------------------
Which is why I keep saying a choice between tweedle-dumb and
tweedle-dumber is no choice at all. But then again this is from
the perspective of the citizen that is a tax payer and not a tax
eater.

From the perspective of the people that are getting rich from
governmental spending, when adjusted for inflation, I say that
Bush II wins. LBJ was no piker, but a lot of what he spent was
spread around. While money may not cure poverty it sure was a
good anodyne....

Unka George

Isn't LBJ the one who pushed to get SS put into the general fund so he could
spend it.

Posted to alt.machines.cnc,misc.survivalism,rec.crafts.metalworking
Stuart Grey

Tom Gardner wrote:
...and the *******s are using new rotor bolts on the Blackhawks rather than
cleaning the thread-lock off the old ones, tensile testing and re-using. I
figure I make about $5 for each bolt they clean with the system I developed
for them.

Sorry about your missing out on $5/bolt, but it has to do with metal
fatigue and mean time between failure.

I'm sure as hell not going to support sending young guys into war with
old bolts that will eventually fail so you can make five bucks. Sorry.

The 2 tractor-trailor loads of equipment to re-cert the bolts
never went to Iraq...too expensive. It's probably cheaper to do it their
way in-theatre for more than just these bolts but it sure sounds good to the
foil helmet crowd to bash Bush. I want to hear how Bush caused the latest
solar activity problem that will plague the Earth for years to come, did he
use the super-secret ray gun that he used to cause tsunamis and huricanes?
Are there poor black people on the Sun?

Posted to alt.machines.cnc,misc.survivalism,rec.crafts.metalworking
Cliff

On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 16:44:13 GMT, Gunner wrote:

Not all personell in military MOS needed body armor. Truck mechanics
seldom needed body armor, as an example in most wars, as they were
generally way back behind the lines.

Hiding in the nice safe fortified "green zones"?
Sort of like the new "free speech zones" in the US & UK?

Do they get their pictures & fingerprints taken too?
--
Cliff
Posted to alt.machines.cnc,misc.survivalism,rec.crafts.metalworking
[...]

The Open Arms policy?

Heard they were going to relocate some of the torture camps for
the kidnapped hostages.
--
Cliff
Posted to alt.machines.cnc,misc.survivalism,rec.crafts.metalworking
Cliff

On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 16:44:13 GMT, Gunner wrote:

- Proverbs 22:3

What? No body armor?
How about the Neocon Menace?
--
Cliff
Posted to alt.machines.cnc,misc.survivalism,rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Gardner

"Stuart Grey" wrote in message
. ..

Sorry about your missing out on $5/bolt, but it has to do with metal
fatigue and mean time between failure.

I'm sure as hell not going to support sending young guys into war with old
bolts that will eventually fail so you can make five bucks. Sorry.

I don't think you understand, I didn't communicate well. The bolts have to
go through a severe battery of tests to be used at all, even new ones. The
new ones ane certified here in the states then sent over. "Old" ones are
disgarded in the field. But, at several hundred bucks each they are worth
re-certing in the states. Tell me the difference between a "New" bolt that
passes inspection and an "Old" bolt that passes the same tests. Not all the
new ones make the grade to begin with.

Posted to alt.machines.cnc,misc.survivalism,rec.crafts.metalworking

F. George McDuffee wrote:
[...]

Of what worth is a phony refund? The dumbass should have gotten "real"
refunds.

"When I heard the story last night, I was shocked, and my first
reaction was one of disappointment, deep disappointment - if it's
true - that we were not fully informed," Bush said. "Shortly
thereafter, I felt really sad for the Allen family."

Allen, 45, was arrested Thursday by police in Montgomery County,
Md., for allegedly claiming refunds for more than $5,000 worth of
merchandise he did not buy, according to county and federal
authorities.

Oh! He provided phony receipts and got "real" refunds. That should be
illegal.

Just goes to show that you can't trust the media to get a story right.

Posted to alt.machines.cnc,misc.survivalism,rec.crafts.metalworking
Martin H. Eastburn

San Jose had junk stuff and went to war with it. Clinton didn't replace it.
It was constantly being worked on. Then a few years ago, all their stuff was
replaced with the latest material. They (IIRC) are a transport and expedite
group. Mostly unique and heavy load trucks of all types.

Used to drive by every day. Clinton sacked every budget he could. Closed the
federal fisheries on the west coast, stole money from Forestry....
For his pet projects naturally.

Martin
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH & Endowment Member

Glenn Ashmore wrote:
"Steve W." wrote

As for the Guard not having gear you can than
Slick and his friends for gutting the military for 8 years. GWB has been
pushing increased money for the troops and gear but the left keeps
crying that they need to spend it on their pork projects instead.

Afraid you got that backwards my friend. Allocations for the Guard went UP
during the Clinton years. During Gulf I Units of the Georgia guard were not
deployed because their equipment was to out of date and personnel under
trained. During the Clinton administration they got new Abrams tanks, new
APCs and a bigger budget for training. The Shrub CUT spending for the guard
over the last 4 years and stripped it of much of its equipment. Just last
month cut manpower targets by 35,000.

When they get home this summer the 48th will have almost no equipment at
all and no plans in place to replace any.

Posted to alt.machines.cnc,misc.survivalism,rec.crafts.metalworking
the_blogologist

Tim May wrote:

That hastily-abandoned equipment, including munitions, is being put to
good use by the freedom fighter, though.

You don't think surplus arms will be going to the new Iraqi army?

Posted to alt.machines.cnc,misc.survivalism,rec.crafts.metalworking
John

Tom Gardner wrote:

...and the *******s are using new rotor bolts on the Blackhawks rather than
cleaning the thread-lock off the old ones, tensile testing and re-using. I
figure I make about $5 for each bolt they clean with the system I developed
for them. The 2 tractor-trailor loads of equipment to re-cert the bolts
never went to Iraq...too expensive. It's probably cheaper to do it their
way in-theatre for more than just these bolts but it sure sounds good to the
foil helmet crowd to bash Bush. I want to hear how Bush caused the latest
solar activity problem that will plague the Earth for years to come, did he
use the super-secret ray gun that he used to cause tsunamis and huricanes?
Are there poor black people on the Sun?

Ever hear of HAARP?

John
Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking
F. George McDuffee

On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 16:47:46 GMT, Gunner
wrote:
snip
Not all personell in military MOS needed body armor. Truck mechanics
seldom needed body armor, as an example in most wars, as they were
generally way back behind the lines.

snip
Considering the amount of taxes I pay and the amount of money the
Pentagon spends I favor a law that prohibits assignment to an
active duty area unless the individual has under their immediate
and direct control the following:
(1) Personal weapon in good condition -- no shot out barrel -- no
loose pins -- no bad magazine catches.
(2) 2 basic loads of ammunation for item (1)
(3) 1 basic load of auxilary munitions such as gernades
(3) 2 sets of boots in good condition suitable for the climate
(4) 2 sets of camoflage uniforms suitable for the climate
(5) 3 sets of skivies and socks
(6) Personal protective equipment including eye protection

I would also like to see mandated withdrawel from the active duta
area under the following conditions unless under fire
(A) inadequate potable water supplied
(B) inadequate food defined as MREs more than 3 days in a row.

If you don't have the chips, why set in at the game? Our people
on the ground are paying with their lives and health for these
budget games.

Unka George

Unka George
(George McDuffee)

What a country calls its vital economic interests are not
the things which enable its citizens to live, but the things
which enable it to make war. Petrol is more likely than wheat
to be a cause of international conflict.
Simone Weil (1909-43), French philosopher, mystic.
«The Power of Words», in Nouveaux Cahiers (1 and 15 April 1937;
repr. in Selected Essays, ed. by Richard Rees, 1962)
Posted to alt.machines.cnc,misc.survivalism,rec.crafts.metalworking
John

the_blogologist wrote:

Tim May wrote:

That hastily-abandoned equipment, including munitions, is being put to
good use by the freedom fighter, though.

You don't think surplus arms will be going to the new Iraqi army?

When the arms dealers sell the stuff to them.

John