Ray L. Volts

Default HDTV test gear -- yay or nay?

Just a quick survey -- pardon me if this was recently discussed; I didn't
find it via Google or the last 4000+ server msgs...

With the mandated cut-off date for NTSC broadcasting in the USA quickly
approaching, and the high cost of HDTV-specific (or combo NTSC/HDTV) gear,
I'm curious as to which TV shop owners and/or techs among you:

1) has purchased HDTV test gear ($$ amount invested?)

2) plans to purchase HDTV test gear ($$ amount to be invested?)

3) will not purchase HDTV test gear and simply swap boards and cross your
fingers

4) plans to call it quits because the repair biz is becoming a progressively
worse biz to be in, and purchasing additional HDTV test gear wouldn't be a
worthwhile or justifiable expenditure for you (if this option, how close
were you to retirement anyway?)

Thanks,
Ray

JANA

Because of the complications involved in servicing the newer consumer TV
equipment, I would only invest in the basic test gear required to work at
the service level that can be handled in an independent shop. I would be
working on making service agreements with the manufacture's direct reps to
subcontract out the work.

The only other way I would invest in to the advanced test gear is I was
prepared to do the investments in all of the proper tools, and make sure
that I would have agreements for the purchasing for spare parts, and service
manuals.

Considering how the costs of home electronics is going down, and that
warranties are for long periods of time on many of the new generation
models, I would not be considering expanding a service business, unless I
was to get in to it all the way, and have some direct agreements.

--

JANA
_____

"Ray L. Volts" wrote in message

[...]

James Sweet

"Ray L. Volts" wrote in message

[...]

What test gear is needed other than a source of an HDTV signal? I'd just use
a PC or a cheap DVD player, most other repairs should be doable with the
same DMM and scope used for standard TV.

Ray L. Volts

"James Sweet" wrote in message

"Ray L. Volts" wrote in message

[...]

That would work as far as pix generators go. But an NTSC VHF/UHF generator
won't be much use with an ATSC 8VSB digital tuner. Of course, I suppose one
could just source broadcasts for tuner troubleshooting and adjustment (if
any)...

FA: (UK Only) - Electronic test gear and antiques Ian Electronics Repair 1 July 26th 05 08:17 AM
uh, oh -- post drill gear problem Grant Erwin Metalworking 7 February 28th 05 10:37 PM
test for Jimbo dale Metalworking 3 November 13th 03 05:52 PM
Possible Condensation Solution? - Test Data Tom Watson Woodworking 4 November 7th 03 08:51 PM
Help a newbie out? Brad Brigade Metalworking 34 October 19th 03 05:20 AM