Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking
Proctologically Violated©®

Default Baldor Pedestal Grinder

Awl--

The guy that has these DoAll's and Roll-ins also has Baldor Grinders, w/
diamond (left shaft), carbide (right) wheels which have *4* mounting holes,
and grind and the side--and also maybe on the edge, for green/white wheels.
6" wheels, 3450 rpm, 1 ph.

They have nice band-saw-like tables, grooved for guide, about 6x12, and a
"water pot" which drips water/coolant thru gravity onto the wheel. Sits on
a post on top of the wheel housing. Really neat.
Also nice cast coolant wells, beneath the wheels.

Asking $350.

0. Is there a name for this style of grinder?
1. Is this a good price (wheels included, 1 diamond, 1 carbide).
2. Given that I already have a Harig 6x12 surface grinder, is there
anything to be gained from this item? I'm sure there exists, or I could
kluge, some angle device mimicing the tilting table on the Baldor.
OTOH, I don't think SG wheels were meant to be used from the side, either,
just from the edge.
Aside from safety issues, is there much of a practical difference grinding
from the side vs. the edge?
--
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll

Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking
Garlicdude

Proctologically Violated©® wrote:
[...]

PV, Believe they are called a carbide grinder. I would think that's a
good price, especially if the diamond wheel is in good shape. I use
mine a lot, but then I have a CNC lathe and use it to sharpen carbide
boring bars primarily.

--
Regards,
Steve Saling
Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking
Proctologically Violated©®

"Garlicdude" wrote in message
[...]

I would imagine you have an SG as well. Is it just easier to do that type
of sharpening on a carbide grinder?
--
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll

--
Regards,
Steve Saling
aka The Garlic Dude ©
Gilroy, CA
The Garlic Capital of The World
http://www.pulsareng.com/

Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking
Garlicdude

Proctologically Violated©® wrote:
"Garlicdude" wrote in message

PV, Believe they are called a carbide grinder. I would think that's a
good price, especially if the diamond wheel is in good shape. I use mine
a lot, but then I have a CNC lathe and use it to sharpen carbide boring
bars primarily.

I would imagine you have an SG as well. Is it just easier to do that type
of sharpening on a carbide grinder?
--
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll

PV, Yes I have a surface grinder also. I have a conventional wheel for
it and a radius wheel for grinding chip breakers. Sharpening small
solid carbide boring bars is much easier on the Baldor pedestal grinder.

I use the surface grinder to sharpen Thinbits. Also use the surface
grinder to neck down shanks on carbide endmills with the help of a spin-dex.

--
Regards,
Steve Saling
aka The Garlic Dude ©
Gilroy, CA
The Garlic Capital of The World
http://www.pulsareng.com/
Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking
Cliff

On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 01:52:50 GMT, Ignoramus3308
wrote:

I sold one like this, although in 3 phase/440v, for $100.

That's a good question for PV ..... 80 VDC 5 phase 50 Hz .....
--
Cliff

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Brian Lawson

wrote:

On Wed, 8 Feb 2006 19:13:37 -0500, Proctologically Violated©® wrote:
Awl--

The guy that has these DoAll's and Roll-ins also has Baldor Grinders, w/
diamond (left shaft), carbide (right) wheels which have *4* mounting holes,
and grind and the side--and also maybe on the edge, for green/white wheels.
6" wheels, 3450 rpm, 1 ph.

They have nice band-saw-like tables, grooved for guide, about 6x12, and a
"water pot" which drips water/coolant thru gravity onto the wheel. Sits on
a post on top of the wheel housing. Really neat.
Also nice cast coolant wells, beneath the wheels.

Asking $350.

I sold one like this, although in 3 phase/440v, for $100.

I picked mine up from a friend, like new, US$ 150, but no diamond
wheel. And mine has what I believe to be the standard ---OFF---
switch, so the wheel is running "down" no matter which side of either
wheel you are working on.

Brian Lawson.
Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

wrote:

On Wed, 8 Feb 2006 19:13:37 -0500, Proctologically Violated©® wrote:
Awl--

The guy that has these DoAll's and Roll-ins also has Baldor Grinders, w/
diamond (left shaft), carbide (right) wheels which have *4* mounting holes,
and grind and the side--and also maybe on the edge, for green/white wheels.
6" wheels, 3450 rpm, 1 ph.

They have nice band-saw-like tables, grooved for guide, about 6x12, and a
"water pot" which drips water/coolant thru gravity onto the wheel. Sits on
a post on top of the wheel housing. Really neat.
Also nice cast coolant wells, beneath the wheels.

Asking $350.

I sold one like this, although in 3 phase/440v, for $100.

"Tool Grinders" is the most common name for this grinder. Ive got one
of the Baldors..two actually..the second being a Taiwanese clone. One
is set up for carbide, the other for HSS.

Be advised that Harbor Freight is now selling a clone..which appears
to be very well made, rugged and a virtual clone..for $149 with sales
pricing dropping this to about $100. A number of folks on
rec.crafts.metalworking have purchased these, with no problems
noted..and a good number of these people are retired machinists or
active commercial machinists.

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3
Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

wrote:

[...]

I do not know about that tool room grinder that I sold vs. the HF one,
since I do not have 440v 3ph. What I do know is that I have a 1/2 HP
Baldor grinder, that cannot even compare to cheap grinders. The Baldor
is super quiet and has extremely smooth bearings, it keeps turning for
many minutes after being powered off. Maybe the HF tool room grinder
is different from the regular cheap grinders that I saw.

- Proverbs 22:3
Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

wrote:

[...]

Looks very nice.

So far..by all reports..it seems to be holding up quite well. As I
said before..Ive a real baldor..and a taiwanese clone..and cant find
any operational differences. Fit and finish are equal, as is how long
the wheels spin after shutting the power off. In fact..the clone takes
longer to run down, though it is somewhat newer so the bearings are
likely to be in better shape.

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3
Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking
Too_Many_Tools

Thanks for the comparison report Gunner.

I have been waiting for someone to do a side by side comparison.

From what you can tell, would you say that the various parts are

interchangeable on the two grinders? I ask because I have a Baldor
carbide grinder that is missing a table and the pans.

Thanks

TMT

Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking
Proctologically Violated©®

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks for the comparison report Gunner.

I have been waiting for someone to do a side by side comparison.

From what you can tell, would you say that the various parts are

interchangeable on the two grinders? I ask because I have a Baldor
carbide grinder that is missing a table and the pans.

I got a guy who has these baldor grinders, and might have extras, or might
can get them. Innerested?

I wound up not taking either baldor, but a Delta instead, for a few reasons.
The Baldor that I liked least in fact had the longest spinning time, the
Delta the shortest. Man, one baldor would go for 5 minutes! You couldn't
even tell if you turned the power off or not!

But, the Delta seemed a little smoother vibration-wise--altho now in
retrospect I realize that could just be wheel imbalance in the baldors. The
Delta was beefier/heavier, seemed better buiilt (nicer table locking, I
thought), also a 3 ph motor, which I prefer (simpler, easier to rewind, I
was told). Both 1 ph Baldors were also reversible.
Also, the Delta had a "peg" thru each wheel guard, which appears to be a
brake, altho I initially thought it was a shaft-lock.
--
Mr. PV'd

Thanks

TMT

Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking
Cliff

On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 21:51:18 -0500, "Proctologically Violated©®"
wrote:

Also, the Delta had a "peg" thru each wheel guard, which appears to be a
brake, altho I initially thought it was a shaft-lock.

It might still be one. IIRC Holding the shaft locked while changing
wheels ....
--
Cliff
Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking
Proctologically Violated©®

wrote:

Also, the Delta had a "peg" thru each wheel guard, which appears to be a
brake, altho I initially thought it was a shaft-lock.

It might still be one. IIRC Holding the shaft locked while changing
wheels ....

Maybe.
But the shaft-locks in my un-vast experience have been "real" locks, ie, a
pin thru a hole in the shaft, or the equivalent--not pure friction.
But a nice, uh, touch.
These grinders don't nut the wheels on a shaft, the wheels are screwed
to what appears to be a heavy integral flange, w/ 4 fair-sized screws.
Nice.
--
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll

--
Cliff

Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

wrote:

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message
roups.com...
Thanks for the comparison report Gunner.

I have been waiting for someone to do a side by side comparison.

From what you can tell, would you say that the various parts are

interchangeable on the two grinders? I ask because I have a Baldor
carbide grinder that is missing a table and the pans.

I got a guy who has these baldor grinders, and might have extras, or might
can get them. Innerested?

I could use a water cup. I gave mine away IRRC.

Gunner

I wound up not taking either baldor, but a Delta instead, for a few reasons.
The Baldor that I liked least in fact had the longest spinning time, the
Delta the shortest. Man, one baldor would go for 5 minutes! You couldn't
even tell if you turned the power off or not!

But, the Delta seemed a little smoother vibration-wise--altho now in
retrospect I realize that could just be wheel imbalance in the baldors. The
Delta was beefier/heavier, seemed better buiilt (nicer table locking, I
thought), also a 3 ph motor, which I prefer (simpler, easier to rewind, I
was told). Both 1 ph Baldors were also reversible.
Also, the Delta had a "peg" thru each wheel guard, which appears to be a
brake, altho I initially thought it was a shaft-lock.

- Proverbs 22:3
Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.survivalism
Cliff

On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 06:58:58 GMT, Gunner wrote:

I could use a water cup.

Tried misc.survivalism ?
--
Cliff

Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking
Daniel A. Mitchell

wrote:

Also, the Delta had a "peg" thru each wheel guard, which appears to be a
brake, altho I initially thought it was a shaft-lock.

It might still be one. IIRC Holding the shaft locked while changing
wheels ....

Maybe.
But the shaft-locks in my un-vast experience have been "real" locks, ie, a
pin thru a hole in the shaft, or the equivalent--not pure friction.
But a nice, uh, touch.
These grinders don't nut the wheels on a shaft, the wheels are screwed
to what appears to be a heavy integral flange, w/ 4 fair-sized screws.
Nice.
--
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll

--
Cliff

True, but the flanges themselves are held on with a large nut, much like
the normal wheels are held.

Dan Mitchell