Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

Default Baldor Pedestal Grinder

On 12 Feb 2006 16:52:39 GMT, Ignoramus8228
wrote:

On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 05:47:19 GMT, Gunner wrote:
On 11 Feb 2006 20:15:14 GMT, Ignoramus1088
wrote:

On Sat, 11 Feb 2006 12:04:23 GMT, Gunner wrote:
On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 01:52:50 GMT, Ignoramus3308
wrote:

On Wed, 8 Feb 2006 19:13:37 -0500, Proctologically Violated©® wrote:
Awl--

The guy that has these DoAll's and Roll-ins also has Baldor Grinders, w/
diamond (left shaft), carbide (right) wheels which have *4* mounting holes,
and grind and the side--and also maybe on the edge, for green/white wheels.
6" wheels, 3450 rpm, 1 ph.

They have nice band-saw-like tables, grooved for guide, about 6x12, and a
"water pot" which drips water/coolant thru gravity onto the wheel. Sits on
a post on top of the wheel housing. Really neat.
Also nice cast coolant wells, beneath the wheels.

Asking $350.

I sold one like this, although in 3 phase/440v, for $100.

"Tool Grinders" is the most common name for this grinder. Ive got one
of the Baldors..two actually..the second being a Taiwanese clone. One
is set up for carbide, the other for HSS.

Be advised that Harbor Freight is now selling a clone..which appears
to be very well made, rugged and a virtual clone..for $149 with sales
pricing dropping this to about $100. A number of folks on
rec.crafts.metalworking have purchased these, with no problems
noted..and a good number of these people are retired machinists or
active commercial machinists.

I do not know about that tool room grinder that I sold vs. the HF one,
since I do not have 440v 3ph. What I do know is that I have a 1/2 HP
Baldor grinder, that cannot even compare to cheap grinders. The Baldor
is super quiet and has extremely smooth bearings, it keeps turning for
many minutes after being powered off. Maybe the HF tool room grinder
is different from the regular cheap grinders that I saw.

Looks very nice.

So far..by all reports..it seems to be holding up quite well. As I
said before..Ive a real baldor..and a taiwanese clone..and cant find
any operational differences. Fit and finish are equal, as is how long
the wheels spin after shutting the power off. In fact..the clone takes
longer to run down, though it is somewhat newer so the bearings are
likely to be in better shape.

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3