Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking
Proctologically Violated©®

Default Baldor Pedestal Grinder

"Garlicdude" wrote in message
Proctologically Violated©® wrote:
Awl--

The guy that has these DoAll's and Roll-ins also has Baldor Grinders, w/
diamond (left shaft), carbide (right) wheels which have *4* mounting
holes, and grind and the side--and also maybe on the edge, for
green/white wheels. 6" wheels, 3450 rpm, 1 ph.

They have nice band-saw-like tables, grooved for guide, about 6x12, and a
"water pot" which drips water/coolant thru gravity onto the wheel. Sits
on a post on top of the wheel housing. Really neat.
Also nice cast coolant wells, beneath the wheels.

Asking $350.

0. Is there a name for this style of grinder?
1. Is this a good price (wheels included, 1 diamond, 1 carbide).
2. Given that I already have a Harig 6x12 surface grinder, is there
anything to be gained from this item? I'm sure there exists, or I could
kluge, some angle device mimicing the tilting table on the Baldor.
OTOH, I don't think SG wheels were meant to be used from the side,
either, just from the edge.
Aside from safety issues, is there much of a practical difference
grinding from the side vs. the edge?
--
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll

PV, Believe they are called a carbide grinder. I would think that's a
good price, especially if the diamond wheel is in good shape. I use mine
a lot, but then I have a CNC lathe and use it to sharpen carbide boring
bars primarily.

I would imagine you have an SG as well. Is it just easier to do that type
of sharpening on a carbide grinder?
--
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll