Eric R Snow

Default The grinder move etc.

For some time I've had three items that I wanted to round out my shop
capabilities. A 40 ton press, a tool and cutter grinder, and a plasma
cutter. It looks like the plasma cutter purchase may happen this week.
I bought the press and grinder a while ago. When I went to look at the
press there was also a universal tool and cutter grinder in the guy's
shop. He said it was for sale and later called me to set a price. I
agreed and eventually the press and grinder were moved to my shop. The
area for the grinder wasn't yet ready so the grinder sat just inside
the roll up door for a few months. Finally, forced time off for
surgery freed up the time to get the grinder room ready. All the
methods I could think of to move the thing were lousy.Then, last
friday my son was helping me and came up with the perfect solution. A
pallet jack. The rental place had one, rated 4500 lbs, and the grinder
weighs only 3000 lbs. The grinder table was removed for clearance and
just in case the thing dropped. Even an inch fall could have damaged
the ways from having the balls make tiny dents. Positioning the
grinder was super easy with the pallet jack. Machinery skates would
have worked also but I don't have any and time was short. I think I'll
now look at auctions for a pallet jack.
ERS
ATP*

"Eric R Snow" wrote in message
[...]

I bought an older one for $25 at an auction. I saw better, newer ones going
for $75-$100.

Brian Lawson

Hey Eric,

When i was getting ready to move, I rented one. I picked it up at the
rental place, and itr was brand-new...I was the first useer. It
worked so good, that after I had it for 3 days, Icalled and asked if
they any used ones they would sell me. He laughed and said, we almost
never get them back if they rent out for more than 2 days, for the
same reason as I was calling, so he didn't have a used one, but would
cut me a good deal on buying the one I already was renting. I'm not
reallyn sure I got a "good deal" butm it was sure some of then best
machinery money I've spent. Just the bees-knees to move all sorts of
things, and handle just a bit of rough ground better than I expected
too.

Ohh..and machinery skates are higher capacity, but are about two or
three times the price of a pallet jack, not nearly so handy, and quite
a bit scarier to use, and take a whole lot of running around to each
corner to steer or a couple of helpers. Go for the pallet jack.
Keep looking. Auctions are fun anyhow.

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 12:11:45 -0800, Eric R Snow
wrote:

SNIP

Positioning the
grinder was super easy with the pallet jack. Machinery skates would
have worked also but I don't have any and time was short. I think I'll
now look at auctions for a pallet jack.
ERS

AL

I've found my pallet jack to be very useful. Almost as useful as my HF
engine hoist. If you get desperate and decide you need a new one, J&L puts
6000 pound Jet models on sale regularly for around $250 (made in China but
of decent quality). I've seen them regularly in the classifieds section of
the local paper--under business equipment (ie. business closing). And when
at the mall with the family, if you see one of those going out of business
sales where the fixtures are for sale, be sure to inquire within--I bet
they'll have a pallet jack to sell.

"Eric R Snow" wrote in message
[...]

Grant Erwin

I see pallet jacks *all the time* for sale cheap in Seattle. - GWE

Grant Erwin

Here's a free one: I have a Nissan Pallet Jack that is not working. I was just
told that it is only missing wheels. Please call to arrange pick-up. 206-626-6462.

Gunner

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 20:17:51 -0800, Grant Erwin
wrote:

Here's a free one: I have a Nissan Pallet Jack that is not working. I was just
told that it is only missing wheels. Please call to arrange pick-up. 206-626-6462.

Wheels can be purchased relatively cheaply from pallet jack repair
shops, or simply turned out of a suitable plastic such as HDDP or
nylon. Which is what I did when I found mine in a dumpster..missing
one steering wheel. (ever try to get a pallet jack out of a dumpster
by yourself? Geeezus..its worse dead weight than a corpse)

Gunner

It's better to be a red person in a blue state
than a blue person in a red state. As a red
person, if your blue neighbors turn into a mob
at least you have a gun to protect yourself.
As a blue person, your only hope is to appease
the red mob with herbal tea and marinated tofu.

(Phil Garding)
Eric R Snow

wrote:

Here's a free one: I have a Nissan Pallet Jack that is not working. I was just
told that it is only missing wheels. Please call to arrange pick-up. 206-626-6462.

Thanks Grant for the heads up. I'll call and see about it. If it's
missing the two big wheels I may be better off looking for another.
Oh, BTW, it sure was nice doing business with you. Always a pleasure
to deal with honest people.
ERS
Bruce L. Bergman

wrote:

Here's a free one: I have a Nissan Pallet Jack that is not working. I was just
told that it is only missing wheels. Please call to arrange pick-up. 206-626-6462.

Wheels can be purchased relatively cheaply from pallet jack repair
shops, or simply turned out of a suitable plastic such as HDDP or
nylon. Which is what I did when I found mine in a dumpster..missing
one steering wheel. (ever try to get a pallet jack out of a dumpster
by yourself? Geeezus..its worse dead weight than a corpse)

Which brings up a _very_ disturbing question... When was the last
time you had to get a corpse out of (or into) a dumpster?

;-P (Yeah, I know - If you tell me, then you'll have to...) ;-P

-- Bruce --
Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700
5737 Kanan Rd. #359, Agoura CA 91301 (818) 889-9545
Errol Groff

A friend will help you move, a REAL friend will help you move a body!

Errol

wrote:

Here's a free one: I have a Nissan Pallet Jack that is not working. I was just
told that it is only missing wheels. Please call to arrange pick-up. 206-626-6462.

Wheels can be purchased relatively cheaply from pallet jack repair
shops, or simply turned out of a suitable plastic such as HDDP or
nylon. Which is what I did when I found mine in a dumpster..missing
one steering wheel. (ever try to get a pallet jack out of a dumpster
by yourself? Geeezus..its worse dead weight than a corpse)

Which brings up a _very_ disturbing question... When was the last
time you had to get a corpse out of (or into) a dumpster?

;-P (Yeah, I know - If you tell me, then you'll have to...) ;-P

-- Bruce --

Gunner

wrote:

Here's a free one: I have a Nissan Pallet Jack that is not working. I was just
told that it is only missing wheels. Please call to arrange pick-up. 206-626-6462.

Wheels can be purchased relatively cheaply from pallet jack repair
shops, or simply turned out of a suitable plastic such as HDDP or
nylon. Which is what I did when I found mine in a dumpster..missing
one steering wheel. (ever try to get a pallet jack out of a dumpster
by yourself? Geeezus..its worse dead weight than a corpse)

Which brings up a _very_ disturbing question... When was the last
time you had to get a corpse out of (or into) a dumpster?

;-P (Yeah, I know - If you tell me, then you'll have to...) ;-P

-- Bruce --

Indeed. Then you would go dumpster diving too .

EG

Gunner

Rule #35
"That which does not kill you,
has made a huge tactical error"
ATP*

wrote:

[...]

Better to bury them under a slab- but this time skip the radiant heat.