Eric R Snow

Default The grinder move etc.

For some time I've had three items that I wanted to round out my shop
capabilities. A 40 ton press, a tool and cutter grinder, and a plasma
cutter. It looks like the plasma cutter purchase may happen this week.
I bought the press and grinder a while ago. When I went to look at the
press there was also a universal tool and cutter grinder in the guy's
shop. He said it was for sale and later called me to set a price. I
agreed and eventually the press and grinder were moved to my shop. The
area for the grinder wasn't yet ready so the grinder sat just inside
the roll up door for a few months. Finally, forced time off for
surgery freed up the time to get the grinder room ready. All the
methods I could think of to move the thing were lousy.Then, last
friday my son was helping me and came up with the perfect solution. A
pallet jack. The rental place had one, rated 4500 lbs, and the grinder
weighs only 3000 lbs. The grinder table was removed for clearance and
just in case the thing dropped. Even an inch fall could have damaged
the ways from having the balls make tiny dents. Positioning the
grinder was super easy with the pallet jack. Machinery skates would
have worked also but I don't have any and time was short. I think I'll
now look at auctions for a pallet jack.
ERS