Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

Default Armed citizen thwarts home invasion robbery

Jan 24, 2006 9:00 pm US/Pacific

One Killed In Bakersfield Botched Home Invasion

(AP) BAKERSFIELD, Calif. A botched home invasion robbery Tuesday in
Bakersfield left one suspect dead and two others under arrest.

Bakersfield police say three men tried to break into the home of
Norman Laxson, 71, and his wife Ramona, 69.

That turned out to be a grave error. When the dust settled, one of the
suspects was dead, and another was in front of the Laxson home
suffering from gunshot wounds. A third suspect was caught a short time
later.

Laxson suffered some cuts but his wife was unharmed.

http://www.1bakersfield.com/news/read/2/62873

On monday at 9:49 P.M. officers of the Bakersfield Police Department
responded to the 9900 block of Kearney Hills Drive regarding a report
of shots fired. While enroute, the call was updated to a call of an
armed home invasion robbery in progress.

Officers arrived on scene and learned that 3 suspects at least one of
which was armed with a handgun attempted to rob an elderly husband and
wife couple inside their residence. The male victim fired several
rounds from a handgun at the suspects during the robbery striking two
of the suspects. The male victim sustained moderate injuries as a
result of being assaulted by the suspects during the incident.

Officers located one of the suspects deceased from gunshot wounds in
the front yard of the victim’s residence. A second suspect was also
still at the scene suffering from gunshot wounds. The third suspect
initially fled on foot but was captured near the neighborhood by
responding officers shortly after the incident unfolded.

The second suspect and the victim were transported to local hospitals
for treatment for their injuries. A handgun was located near the
deceased suspect. The identities of the involved parties are not being
released at this time. Detectives responded to the scene and are
currently investigating the incident.

Elderly man shoots robbery suspects to protect his wife

http://www.bakersfield.com/updates/s...-5869512c.html

By STEVE E. SWENSON, Californian staff writer
e-mail:

Last Updated: Tuesday January 24th, 2006, 3:55 PM

A 71-year-old Bakersfield man responded to his wife’s plea for help by
shooting at three home invasion robbery suspects, killing one and
wounding a second, Bakersfield police reported today.

Norman Laxson, who has sold guns online, rushed to the aid of his
69-year-old wife, Ramona, as she was confronted Monday night at her
front door by the suspects, according to police and an Internet
search.

Police responded to the 9:48 p.m. incident and found Laxson bleeding
from multiple cuts as he was seated just outside his front door, the
department reported.

Next to him was Jose Covarrubias, 18, who was on the ground with
multiple gunshot wounds, police said.

Nearby, was Jermaine Dabbs, 24, who was dead from a fatal gunshot,
police said. A loaded handgun was located next to him, police said.

Laxson was injured in a struggle with the third suspect, a 17-year-old
boy who attacked Lawson after his buddies were shot, police said. The
boy wrestled Laxson’s gun away from him, police said.

(the firearm was empty..revolver)

The youth ran away but was arrested a short distance from Laxson’s
house in the 9900 block of Kearney Hills Drive, police said. That’s in
Rosedale near Brimhall Road and Calloway Drive.

Covarrubias was in stable condition at a local hospital, police said.

He and the youth were arrested on charges of robbery, conspiracy,
assault with a deadly weapon and murder, police said.

The murder charge stems from the state’s felony murder rule in which
murder charges can be filed against suspects in a felony during which
someone was killed, even if the suspects didn’t actually fire a
weapon.

Laxson was also treated at Kern Medical Center for his injuries and he
was in fair condition Tuesday morning, a nurse said.

His wife was not hurt, police said.

Dabbs has a long criminal record from 2000 to 2004, including theft of
a firearm, battery, trespassing, several thefts and disrupting a
school, according to records in Kern County Superior Court.

He recently got out of prison from a 2-year term he receive in the gun
theft conviction, records indicate. Covarrubias has no record as an
adult in Kern County Superior Court.

http://bakersfield.typepad.com/talk_...ng_suspec.html

Local comments in an opinion poll about the shooting. We tend to have
a hard assed population around here......

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mark Jones

Ignoramus16163 wrote:
What a nice story. Thanks. Keep us posted on whether this Larson gets
sued, and what the outcome would be.

Yes indeed, let us know how many years the homeowner (and his wife) gets. :\
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 15:47:43 GMT, Ignoramus16163
wrote:

What a nice story. Thanks. Keep us posted on whether this Larson gets
sued, and what the outcome would be.

Sued? In Bakersfield? Blink blink

They will give him a public commendation and a parade. And a private
chastisement by the local law enforcement authorities for not having
finished the job properly by making sure there were no survivors to
put a financial drag on the criminal justice system. And someone will
likely donate a stacked magazine self loader so he wont run out of
bullets so quickly.

A few years ago...10 or 15..a 14 and a 12 yr old pair of sisters were
home alone one evening and a gentleman broke into the house and
started raping the 12 yr old. Her screams alerted the 14 yr old..who
grabbed Dads 44 magnum and went to the rescue. When she stood in the
door to the younger sisters room and told the perp (illegal immigrant)
to get off her sister..he taunted her and made a move towards her.

She responded with (2) 240gr jacketed hollow points, about 2" apart,
center of mass.

When the local libs found out..there was a stink and cry raised up
about how could a "young girl have access to a firearm" and Evil
Hollow Points, 44 magnum bla bla bla.

The District Attorney, one Ed Jagals (still the DA last I heard)
called a news conference, with all the TV media, and walked to the
podium, put his hands on the top of it..and declared "we have
investigated the shooting, found it to be legitimate, lawful and
commendable. We also note that in such cases, we simply dont care if
she used a bazooka on the bad guy. She did the correct and proper
things with the tools at hand". He then left the podium and answered
no questions from the by now screaming and redfaced lefties.

This type of mindset has guaranteed his reelection for many years.
One should also note..that the county Bakersfield is in..Kern Co. My
home county..has the highest number of CCWs in California, and the
lowest number of deputies per capita.

Freeway Liquors, just a stop and rob off the 58 freeway, had at last
count..7 discreet tombstones painted next to the front door, one for
each robber that was killed trying to rob the store. Its easy freeway
access made it quite a target for some years before the news got
passed around down in the So. Cal area..that its a Bad Place for bad
guys to try to hit.

Sued for shooting bad guys in Bakersfield???

Right.

Gunner

"Deep in her heart, every moslem woman yearns to show us her tits"
John Griffin
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mike Berger

Sigh... yet another death caused by guns in the hands of
civilians.

But hey, if he saved his TV from being stolen, it was worth it.

Gunner wrote:
Jan 24, 2006 9:00 pm US/Pacific

One Killed In Bakersfield Botched Home Invasion

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
T.Alan Kraus

California is such a strange land, there are decent places like Kern Co.
or Mendocino Co. where one can get A CCW. And then you have your joke
Counties like Marin or San Francisco where people will **** in their
pants (or panties) if you just utter the word "gun" .

cheers
T.Alan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Snag

Gunner wrote:
Jan 24, 2006 9:00 pm US/Pacific

One Killed In Bakersfield Botched Home Invasion

You are a loser and an idiot . The fact that I have handguns and pack 90+%
of the time has saved my life several times . In Tennessee , if someone
comes into your home uninvited (break-in) it is assumed they mean to do you
serious bodily harm . If I had to wait for the police , I'd be dead ...
therefor , I keep a loaded shorty 12ga pump under the bed , a loaded SKS
(with several spare clips) leaned against the headboard , a loaded with
spare clip .45 in my nightstand - and the bad boys in my (Memphis)
neighborhood *know* I'm armed to the teeth . They leave me alone now ... and
I didn't even have to shoot any of them . Something about staring down the
bore of that 12 has made them decide to find easier targets .

--
Snag aka OSG #1
'76 FLH "Bent Lady"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Hinz

On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 11:45:48 -0600, Mike Berger wrote:
Sigh... yet another death caused by guns in the hands of
civilians.

A dead criminal is a net-improvement to society.

But hey, if he saved his TV from being stolen, it was worth it.

Riiiight. Because he just wanted the stuff, and wasn't a threat to the
people in the home he broke into, is that it? News flash: criminals
aren't stupid. They know the risks. If they decide to break into an
occupied house, they've decided that they'll harm the occupants.
The homeowner responded appropriately to the threat.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Bruder

In article ,
Mike Berger wrote:

Sigh... yet another death caused by guns in the hands of
civilians.

But hey, if he saved his TV from being stolen, it was worth it.

sigh Yet another idiot that can't figure out that guns protect both
lives and property.

But hey, as long as the criminal trying to break in and
rob/rape/whatever doesn't get shot, I guess those gun control laws are
worth it.

NOT!

I'll score this one as "One more piece of human garbage disposed of, and
good riddance."

Y'see, Mike, here's how it is:
Regardless of what you and the other panty-wetting whiners like you care
to say otherwise, if you're on my property without my express
invitation/permission, you're trespassing, you're assumed to be there
for "evil purposes", and you're subject to finding yourself sporting
extra orifices should I decide that's how I feel like dealing with you.
Don't like that? Here's your one and only viable option: STAY OFF MY
PROPERTY. Period.

My kudos, and best possible wishes, to the Laxsons for doing *ALMOST*
exactly the right thing. The only place they screwed up as far as I'm
concerned was not having enough gun on hand to finish the job properly.
(as in all three bad guys wearing toe-tags and occupying slabs at the
morgue, rather than costing me money to treat, try, and imprison them
once they've recovered sufficiently)

ever knowing it arrived. Sorry... http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd for more info
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
rigger

Gunner wrote:
Jan 24, 2006 9:00 pm US/Pacific

One Killed In Bakersfield Botched Home Invasion

So you'd recommend waiting to see if they kill you FIRST
before defending yourself? Are you getting professional
help?

dennis
in nca

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
rigger

T.Alan Kraus wrote:
California is such a strange land, there are decent places like Kern Co.
or Mendocino Co. where one can get A CCW. And then you have your joke
Counties like Marin or San Francisco where people will **** in their
pants (or panties) if you just utter the word "gun" .

cheers
T.Alan

At least they keep it in their own backyard.

Now if CA would just become "Shall Issue". Oh well.

dennis
in nca

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
rigger

Don Bruder said:

My kudos, and best possible wishes, to the Laxsons for doing *ALMOST*

exactly the right thing. The only place they screwed up as far as I'm
concerned was not having enough gun on hand to finish the job properly.

(as in all three bad guys wearing toe-tags and occupying slabs at the
morgue, rather than costing me money to treat, try, and imprison them
once they've recovered sufficiently)

I'd add to this: 1. If he'd had better security at the door (locks,
peep hole,
procedures, etc.?) he might have prevented entry. 2. Revolvers are OK
for some people who may be older, weaker, not shoot enough, but he
could have one with more rounds. 3. Don't screw with old folks: i.e.
the
shooting at Walmart in Albuquerque:
http://www.freenewmexican.com/news/31883.html

dennis
in nca

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Lyon

"Mike Berger" wrote in message
Sigh... yet another death caused by guns in the hands of
civilians.

Yet another life wasted. Unfortunately, the life was wasted long before he
was killed.

I own a few guns. They're all locked up where they can't be easily reached.
Not because I'm worried about what might happen to the criminals, but
because I have small children. When my youngest is old enough, the guns will
be more accessible.

In the mean time, I guess I'll have to cut the guy's head off with my corn
knife. Would that make you feel better?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Quackenbush

Mike Berger wrote:

Sigh... yet another death caused by guns in the hands of
civilians.

But hey, if he saved his TV from being stolen, it was worth it.

I hear ya. Why, it's almost like that old guy valued his wife's
safety more than that of the armed felons (I didn't see anything in
the articles about a TV, but you're probably right about that, too).

What is this world coming to?

Tom Q.
--
Remove bogusinfo to reply.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve B

"Gunner" wrote in message
Jan 24, 2006 9:00 pm US/Pacific

One Killed In Bakersfield Botched Home Invasion

(AP) BAKERSFIELD, Calif. A botched home invasion robbery Tuesday in
Bakersfield left one suspect dead and two others under arrest.

snip

Too bad it happened in California. The old man will probably get life.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mike

Hand guns are nice , shotguns better in home defense. When in home shoot
first then discuss the options later after the coroner leaves. No such thing
as a good bad guy, unless he's DOA.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques

On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 15:43:58 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Gunner
quickly quoth:

Jan 24, 2006 9:00 pm US/Pacific

One Killed In Bakersfield Botched Home Invasion

Too bad Norm didn't get all 3. I hope he buys an auto with a 15
round mag and gives the revolver to his wife. He could have nailed
the guy who physically hurt him, too.

Local comments in an opinion poll about the shooting. We tend to have
a hard assed population around here......

---
Annoy a politician: Be trustworthy, faithful, and honest!
---
http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques

On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 11:24:51 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm, Don
Bruder quickly quoth:

In article ,
Mike Berger wrote:

Sigh... yet another death caused by guns in the hands of
civilians.

But hey, if he saved his TV from being stolen, it was worth it.

sigh Yet another idiot that can't figure out that guns protect both
lives and property.

Perhaps karma will show Mikey the light. (see below)

My kudos, and best possible wishes, to the Laxsons for doing *ALMOST*
exactly the right thing. The only place they screwed up as far as I'm
concerned was not having enough gun on hand to finish the job properly.
(as in all three bad guys wearing toe-tags and occupying slabs at the
morgue, rather than costing me money to treat, try, and imprison them
once they've recovered sufficiently)

And then get out to do it again. Of course, despite any infractions
inthe prison, they're sure to be released after half their sentence
is up. Maybe they'll move to Mike's area and rob Mike's house next.
Wouldn't that be some kinda karma? g

---
Annoy a politician: Be trustworthy, faithful, and honest!
---
http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Bruder

Mike Berger wrote:

Sigh... yet another death caused by guns in the hands of
civilians.

But hey, if he saved his TV from being stolen, it was worth it.

sigh Yet another idiot that can't figure out that guns protect both
lives and property.

Perhaps karma will show Mikey the light. (see below)

One can hope, but one is strongly advised that it would be unwise to
hold one's breath while waiting for such an occurence.

My kudos, and best possible wishes, to the Laxsons for doing *ALMOST*
exactly the right thing. The only place they screwed up as far as I'm
concerned was not having enough gun on hand to finish the job properly.
(as in all three bad guys wearing toe-tags and occupying slabs at the
morgue, rather than costing me money to treat, try, and imprison them
once they've recovered sufficiently)

And then get out to do it again. Of course, despite any infractions
inthe prison, they're sure to be released after half their sentence
is up. Maybe they'll move to Mike's area and rob Mike's house next.
Wouldn't that be some kinda karma? g

Indeed, it would be most appropriate. I like how you think

ever knowing it arrived. Sorry... http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd for more info
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RWL

wrote:

Sigh... yet another death caused by guns in the hands of
civilians.

But hey, if he saved his TV from being stolen, it was worth it.

I hope you're just trolling. I grew up in the liberal 60s when it was
always society's failure when a criminal killed someone. I don't want
to go back to that era. If you truly believe that, you'd be happier
in England.

RWL

******* Recreate gaps in email address to reply *******

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex B

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 15:43:58 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Gunner
quickly quoth:

Jan 24, 2006 9:00 pm US/Pacific

One Killed In Bakersfield Botched Home Invasion

Too bad Norm didn't get all 3. I hope he buys an auto with a 15
round mag and gives the revolver to his wife. He could have nailed
the guy who physically hurt him, too.

On the other hand, the kid wrestled the gun away from him after he
emptied it. Presumably if he'd had more ammo the kid wouldn't have had
the chance. But if Norm got off 6 rounds and then the kid grabbed the
gun, the kid would have 9 rounds for ole Norm.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mike Berger

I don't have handguns, never "pack", and haven't had my life
threatened. If anybody is a loser and an idiot, it would be
someone whose life had been threatened several times and had
to resort to gun violence.

Snag wrote:

You are a loser and an idiot . The fact that I have handguns and pack 90+%
of the time has saved my life several times .

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mike Berger

In the biggest part of this country, it isn't legal to kill
someone over property. Morally, it's reprehensible. What
value of property do you think is worth someone's life? Would
you kill someone for stealing your garden gnome? Or do they
have to take your toaster before you'd shoot?

Dave Hinz wrote:

Riiiight. Because he just wanted the stuff, and wasn't a threat to the
people in the home he broke into, is that it? News flash: criminals
aren't stupid. They know the risks. If they decide to break into an
occupied house, they've decided that they'll harm the occupants.
The homeowner responded appropriately to the threat.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mike Berger

From this example it's pretty obvious that they TAKE lives
while protecting property.

Don Bruder wrote:

sigh Yet another idiot that can't figure out that guns protect both
lives and property.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mike Berger

And you think this is going to convince me that it's better to
kill someone than to lose pocket change?

The death penalty doesn't deter murders. Texas has the most guns
per capita of any state in the union, and also extremely high
crime and murder rates. So guns apparently cause more crimes
then they prevent.

Larry Jaques wrote:

And then get out to do it again. Of course, despite any infractions
inthe prison, they're sure to be released after half their sentence
is up. Maybe they'll move to Mike's area and rob Mike's house next.
Wouldn't that be some kinda karma? g

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mike Berger

My god, why should your bloodthirstiness make me feel better?
You guys are very scary. You'd kill at the slightest provocation?

Dave Lyon wrote:

In the mean time, I guess I'll have to cut the guy's head off with my corn
knife. Would that make you feel better?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mike Berger

No -- but maybe I missed something. The only criminal that killed
anybody in this exchange was the guy who shot someone to protect his
property. What criminal that killed someone were you referring to?

Making up red herrings doesn't justify the killing.

RWL wrote:

I hope you're just trolling. I grew up in the liberal 60s when it was
always society's failure when a criminal killed someone. I don't want
to go back to that era. If you truly believe that, you'd be happier
in England.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mike Berger

Yeah, like the 16 year old kid that died in Florida last year
after being put up to ringing someone's doorbell and playing
"ding dong ditch". He was mildly retarded.

The homeowner shot first. And killed the kid. The kid was
no threat. It was halloween.

I guess you'd have done the same? I hope someone warns all
the kids in your neighborhood.

Mike wrote:
Hand guns are nice , shotguns better in home defense. When in home shoot
first then discuss the options later after the coroner leaves. No such thing
as a good bad guy, unless he's DOA.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mike Berger

Maybe the kid thought Norm was overreacting and wanted to
get the gun away from the crazy coot before he hurt someone
else.

Rex B wrote:

On the other hand, the kid wrestled the gun away from him after he
emptied it. Presumably if he'd had more ammo the kid wouldn't have had
the chance. But if Norm got off 6 rounds and then the kid grabbed the
gun, the kid would have 9 rounds for ole Norm.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Hinz

On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 14:39:53 -0600, Mike Berger wrote:
In the biggest part of this country, it isn't legal to kill
someone over property. Morally, it's reprehensible.

You missed my point. If a criminal comes into a house that is occupied,
they _know_ that the occupant might hurt them. THey have already
decided to take that risk and prepare themselves. As such, they are a
credible and real threat to the honest citizen whose safety they are
threatening by their uninvited presence.

What
value of property do you think is worth someone's life?

It's not about property. As many times as you say it is, it doesn't
change the fact that a criminal is a dangerous person, and when they're
breaking into a house, they're creating a credible threat.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Hinz

On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 14:40:49 -0600, Mike Berger wrote:
From this example it's pretty obvious that they TAKE lives
while protecting property.

The value of the lives protected (the old man and his wife) is higher
than the value of the criminal who died. Society has been improved.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Hinz

On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 14:42:50 -0600, Mike Berger wrote:
And you think this is going to convince me that it's better to
kill someone than to lose pocket change?

Who said anything about pocket change, Mike? The criminal broke into a
house and was a threat to the occupants.

The death penalty doesn't deter murders. Texas has the most guns
per capita of any state in the union, and also extremely high
crime and murder rates. So guns apparently cause more crimes
then they prevent.

Cite, please. (Translation: I think you're wrong/lying, please show me
where you got this information so I can show you how you're misreading
it)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Hinz

On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 14:45:03 -0600, Mike Berger wrote:
Yes, rather than killing someone who was no threat at all.

1. When you top-post, it ****s up the flow of a conversation. Just so
you know.

2. They were not "no threat at all" as I've previously pointed out.

So whose side are you on, anyway, Mike?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Hinz

On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 14:49:07 -0600, Mike Berger wrote:
Yeah, like the 16 year old kid that died in Florida last year
after being put up to ringing someone's doorbell and playing
"ding dong ditch". He was mildly retarded.

My. God. You people need to get updated talking points from your
handlers.

The homeowner shot first. And killed the kid. The kid was
no threat. It was halloween.

Yeah, Clinton went on and on about this "kid", "last year", when he was
president. Seems that his idea of a good time was to go up to houses,
shout incomprehensibly at the homeowner, and then take a picture of
their reaction. The homeowner in question, in the early hours of the
morning, didn't see this as funny, and saw it as a threat. Ordered your
poster-child to leave, said person went around the house to the garage
door and attempted entry there.

Yeah, real smart, eh?

I guess you'd have done the same? I hope someone warns all
the kids in your neighborhood.

You're either not real critical about validating your sources, or you're
intentionally lying. Which is it, please?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete Keillor

On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 14:46:32 -0600, Mike Berger

plonk
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Lyon

"Mike Berger" wrote in message
In the biggest part of this country, it isn't legal to kill
someone over property. Morally, it's reprehensible. What

What do you know about morals?
What makes you think all they wanted to do was steal stuff?
Shoot first, and let God sort them out!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Lyon

"Mike Berger" wrote in message
And you think this is going to convince me that it's better to
kill someone than to lose pocket change?

The death penalty doesn't deter murders. Texas has the most guns
per capita of any state in the union, and also extremely high
crime and murder rates. So guns apparently cause more crimes
then they prevent.

Are you trolling, or are you really that stupid?

Guns don't kill people, people do. Were people murdered before guns were
invented?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John Husvar

In article ,
Mike Berger wrote:

In the biggest part of this country, it isn't legal to kill
someone over property. Morally, it's reprehensible.

Your information is incorrect. There are only a few jurisdictions that
require one to retreat from criminal threat.

Why is it reprehensible? My property cost me some portion of my life's
time to acquire. Stealing it is stealing a portion of my life. Moreover,
how can anyone be sure someone breaking down the door or otherwise
entering a home violently is not a threat to one's life or health?

People will defend their lives, families, and property as naturally as
gravity makes things fall down. Entering someone's home uninvited and
violently is, or should be, no less dangerous than jumping from the
fortieth floor of a building with no parachute. It's nothing personal,
just another way Nature culls the herd.

What value of property do you think is worth someone's life? Would

I don't know: I guess the criminal has to make that decision. He decides
to steal something from an occupied home, even though it could cost his
life. Apparently whatever he intends to steal is, potentially, worth his
life, to him.

you kill someone for stealing your garden gnome? Or do they
have to take your toaster before you'd shoot?

All "they" have to do is enter my home acting in a threatening manner.
That stands a non-zero chance of being a fatal miscalculation. Garden
gnomes they can take. Violently entering an occupied home, whether to
steal or hurt or kill, on the other hand, _should_ be an action that
endangers a criminal's life.

Dave Hinz wrote:

Riiiight. Because he just wanted the stuff, and wasn't a threat to the
people in the home he broke into, is that it? News flash: criminals
aren't stupid. They know the risks. If they decide to break into an
occupied house, they've decided that they'll harm the occupants.
The homeowner responded appropriately to the threat.

Agreed.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Lyon

"Mike Berger" wrote in message
My god, why should your bloodthirstiness make me feel better?
You guys are very scary. You'd kill at the slightest provocation?

Dave Lyon wrote:

Nope, I've never killed anybody, but you can bet I would if somebody broke
into my house and attempted to harm my family. It would be immoral not to.

I was once jumped by two men. They beat me up, kidnapped and raped the girl
that was with me. If I would have had a gun with me, I would have shot them
both and spit on the corpses. If you're not comfortable with that, I would
recommend not breaking into my house.