Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
James

Default What commonly available alloy has the best corrorsion resistance properties?

What commonly available alloy has the best corrorsion resistance
properties?

I am building a chamber that needs to last 500 years. It will be
indoors, but I need it to resist the effects of time and the elements.
I added commonly because I cannot afford some rare exotic metal.

Also, can anyone recommend a good metal rod, tube manufacter that
supplys their wares in metric sizes? (US based)

Thanks.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Harold and Susan Vordos

"James" wrote in message
oups.com...
What commonly available alloy has the best corrorsion resistance
properties?

I am building a chamber that needs to last 500 years. It will be
indoors, but I need it to resist the effects of time and the elements.
I added commonly because I cannot afford some rare exotic metal.

Also, can anyone recommend a good metal rod, tube manufacter that
supplys their wares in metric sizes? (US based)

Thanks.

The 300 series stainless alloys would work fine, 316L is likely the best
amongst them. It's readily available at a reasonable price, and easily
fabricated.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
James

How does Aluminium stand up against stainless steel? Also would it help
protect the metal if I coated it with gold?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Harold and Susan Vordos

"James" wrote in message
ups.com...
How does Aluminium stand up against stainless steel? Also would it help
protect the metal if I coated it with gold?

I'd be inclined to think aluminum would tend to reduce to the ore from which
it came, assuming it got exposed to moisture. If not, it would likely
stand up to time just fine. It forms a skin of aluminum oxide almost
instantly when exposed to atmosphere, which protects it from further
corrosion.

A surface finish of gold would certainly make it more resistant to
corrosion, but you may not have the means to apply the gold. It's not as
easy as you might imagine, due to the aluminum reducing the gold from
solution, or the gold migrating into the aluminum after it has been applied,
assuming you were successful in getting it that far. A protective
barrier of nickel would probably have to be applied, then gold. It would
likely be cheaper in the long run to use stainless, which would be resistant
to corrosion from all atmospheric conditions, and would stand up better to
fire----although unless it was well insulated, the contents of the chamber
would be destroyed by heat. Aluminum, by contrast, would melt. In
either case, you're not going to be protected against excessive heat, so
you'll have to research proper insulation if that's a concern.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jim rozen

In article , Harold and Susan Vordos says...

A surface finish of gold would certainly make it more resistant to
corrosion, but you may not have the means to apply the gold. It's not as
easy as you might imagine, due to the aluminum reducing the gold from
solution, or the gold migrating into the aluminum after it has been applied,
assuming you were successful in getting it that far.

Purple plague, anyone? Aluminum and gold do strange things indeed.

A protective
barrier of nickel would probably have to be applied, then gold. It would
likely be cheaper in the long run to use stainless, which would be resistant
to corrosion from all atmospheric conditions, and would stand up better to
fire----although unless it was well insulated, the contents of the chamber
would be destroyed by heat. Aluminum, by contrast, would melt. In
either case, you're not going to be protected against excessive heat, so
you'll have to research proper insulation if that's a concern.

Does he have to be heat resistant?

The other issue is for a chamber of that size, he could just as well
use pure gold as the material as the cost would be inconsequential.

Oh wait, I meant to say, for a chamber of that size, his best bet
would be concrete, as the cost for any metal would be prohibitive.

Hmm. Where in the center does the truth sit? It would be easier
if he said he was making a box to put his DNA in, or if were buildign
a bomb shelter to house his entire extended family. g

Honestly concrete's not a bad choice. How about granite, seriously?

Fireproof, create a cavity inside a block, with a tight fitting lid
and possibly some sort of gasket, put the lid on and there you are.

Worked for the pharos, eh? (though not with granite)

Jim

please reply to:

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Nick Hull

In article .com,
"James" wrote:

What commonly available alloy has the best corrorsion resistance
properties?

I am building a chamber that needs to last 500 years. It will be
indoors, but I need it to resist the effects of time and the elements.
I added commonly because I cannot afford some rare exotic metal.

In 500 years it is unlikely to still be indoors. Bronze ship nails have
survived 2000 years of salt water immersion so that is a good start.

--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Trevor Jones

James wrote:

What commonly available alloy has the best corrorsion resistance
properties?

I am building a chamber that needs to last 500 years. It will be
indoors, but I need it to resist the effects of time and the elements.
I added commonly because I cannot afford some rare exotic metal.

Also, can anyone recommend a good metal rod, tube manufacter that
supplys their wares in metric sizes? (US based)

Thanks.

Concrete.

It worked well for the Romans.

Cheers
Trevor Jones
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Glenn Ashmore

My first choice would be a 70/30 copper nickel alloy.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

"James" wrote in message
oups.com...
What commonly available alloy has the best corrorsion resistance
properties?

I am building a chamber that needs to last 500 years. It will be
indoors, but I need it to resist the effects of time and the elements.
I added commonly because I cannot afford some rare exotic metal.

Also, can anyone recommend a good metal rod, tube manufacter that
supplys their wares in metric sizes? (US based)

Thanks.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Proctologically Violated©®

The cheapest hot-rolled crap you can find in a scrap yard, w/ about 5 coats
of rustoleum+epoxy paint.
Also, wall thickness will be directly proportional to longevity. 16 ga?
1/8? 1/4??
Could also go w/ plastic on a metal frame.
500 years, eh? Man, you must be takin one helluva vitamin....
--
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll
"James" wrote in message
oups.com...
What commonly available alloy has the best corrorsion resistance
properties?

I am building a chamber that needs to last 500 years. It will be
indoors, but I need it to resist the effects of time and the elements.
I added commonly because I cannot afford some rare exotic metal.

Also, can anyone recommend a good metal rod, tube manufacter that
supplys their wares in metric sizes? (US based)

Thanks.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mike Berger

If it will be indoors, what kind of "elements" do you expect to
have to resist? Does it need to be fireproof? Earthquake resistant?
How structurally sound does it have to be? How big?

If it's going to be inside, it sounds like aluminum would work fine.
The cap of the Washington Monument seems to do ok, and it's exposed.

James wrote:
What commonly available alloy has the best corrorsion resistance
properties?

I am building a chamber that needs to last 500 years. It will be
indoors, but I need it to resist the effects of time and the elements.
I added commonly because I cannot afford some rare exotic metal.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols

According to James :
What commonly available alloy has the best corrorsion resistance
properties?

I am building a chamber that needs to last 500 years. It will be
indoors, but I need it to resist the effects of time and the elements.
I added commonly because I cannot afford some rare exotic metal.

This sounds like a "time capsule". A quick web search found
this page, which offers some suggestions -- including about things which
you may not have considered:

http://www.si.edu/scmre/takingcare/timecaps.htm

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Harold and Susan Vordos

"Eide" wrote in message
Monel is one of the best in the marine industry. It's very nobel.

Yes, it is, and also VERY expensive. Stainless is a bargain by comparison.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
James

The chamber is going to be around 6" in diameter and 12" in length,
wall thickness is going to be 5mm. Its purpose is to hold data disks
for long term storage. The chambers are going to be placed into fire
safes and the safes will be placed into underground bunkers.

Would plating the Stainless with gold help prevent corrosion?

The chambers will be filled with nitrogen gas to help preserve the
disks. What would you recommend for a seal? It cannot be any substance
such as rubber due to outgassing. I need something that makes a good
seal and does not deteroriate rapidly. The chambers will be opened
periodically, around every 50 years to refresh the disk media.

Can you also recommend a good machine shop in the Phoenix, AZ area? I
need a place that can weld all the pieces together.

Thank you for your help.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Emmo

The problem with long term media storage is not deterioration but lack of
playback hardware. I have lots of media from a mere 25 years ago that
cannot be read, not because of deterioration but because no hardware is
available. Try to find a punch card reader, a paper tape reader, a Sony
PortaPak reel-to-reel video player, a Beta video player, a video disk
player, a Polaroid film projector, an 8-track tape player, an 8 inch drive,
a single-sided 5 1/4" Apple II drive, a CP/M single density Osborne drive,
any number of tape drives, and so on.

Unless you are packing the hardware away with the media, deterioration is
not going to be your problem...

Is this an art project? Or does someone actually expect to retrieve this
data?

"James" wrote in message
oups.com...
The chamber is going to be around 6" in diameter and 12" in length,
wall thickness is going to be 5mm. Its purpose is to hold data disks
for long term storage. The chambers are going to be placed into fire
safes and the safes will be placed into underground bunkers.

Would plating the Stainless with gold help prevent corrosion?

The chambers will be filled with nitrogen gas to help preserve the
disks. What would you recommend for a seal? It cannot be any substance
such as rubber due to outgassing. I need something that makes a good
seal and does not deteroriate rapidly. The chambers will be opened
periodically, around every 50 years to refresh the disk media.

Can you also recommend a good machine shop in the Phoenix, AZ area? I
need a place that can weld all the pieces together.

Thank you for your help.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
James

The retrieval concern is already taken care of. The data will be
relevant for thousands of years as most knowledge is.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols

According to Emmo :
The problem with long term media storage is not deterioration but lack of
playback hardware. I have lots of media from a mere 25 years ago that
cannot be read, not because of deterioration but because no hardware is
available. Try to find

a punch card reader, Got it
a paper tape reader, Got it
a Sony PortaPak reel-to-reel video player, Never had
a Beta video player, Got it
a video disk player, Never had
a Polaroid film projector, Never had (unless you mean
a 35mm slide projector
for their 35mm slide
film)
an 8-track tape player, Never had
an 8 inch drive, Several
a single-sided 5 1/4" Apple II drive, Had one -- gave it away to
an Apple II user
a CP/M single density Osborne drive, You mean the Shugart 5-1/4
single side single
density -- Got em.
any number of tape drives 9-track up to 1600 BPI
2-track and 4-track audio
QIC-150
8mm
DAT (both digital backup
and audio)

, and so on.

Unless you are packing the hardware away with the media, deterioration is
not going to be your problem...

Well ... a cheat sheet can be packed with the punch cards, so
they can be read visually. :-)

Is this an art project? Or does someone actually expect to retrieve this
data?

"James" wrote in message
oups.com...
The chamber is going to be around 6" in diameter and 12" in length,
wall thickness is going to be 5mm. Its purpose is to hold data disks
for long term storage. The chambers are going to be placed into fire
safes and the safes will be placed into underground bunkers.

Would plating the Stainless with gold help prevent corrosion?

For a while -- maybe -- but probably not necessary.

The chambers will be filled with nitrogen gas to help preserve the
disks. What would you recommend for a seal?

Teflon O-ring, perhaps?

It cannot be any substance
such as rubber due to outgassing. I need something that makes a good
seal and does not deteroriate rapidly. The chambers will be opened
periodically, around every 50 years to refresh the disk media.

Which means that you will need a standard fitting for backfiling
with the inert gas each time.

Can you also recommend a good machine shop in the Phoenix, AZ area? I
need a place that can weld all the pieces together.

Nope. That, I can't from Virginia.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Gee

James, Glenn Ashmore is right. CuNi C71500 to be specific. relatively
easily machined, tig welded, or formed. Google Cu or C 71500.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve Smith

There are a lot of good suggestions in this thread. Having said that, I
think it is unlikely you will be truly successful making something that
will last 500 years if you just get a bunch of opinions and don't spend
any further effort on it. At minimum, you need to do a bunch of research
to find out what applicable work has been published. I'll be so bold to
suggest you might actually want to do some accelerated aging tests on
sample containers.

The shell material is one issue. Two others are seals and environment.
You've mentioned seals--again, how in the world do you know your seal
material will last 500 years (more research needed...)? How do you
know it will be indoors all that time? Will the building last 500 years?
If you really expect 500 years out of it, you need to protect against
the possibility it won't be indoors.

There was a new motel going up near work about 10 years ago. The
building frame and walls were up (no exterior finish yet, insulation
hanging out), lots of window holes, many covered with plywood, looked
pretty ratty. My friend Phil says "Just think, in 100 years, it will
look exactly the same".

Steve

James wrote:

What commonly available alloy has the best corrorsion resistance
properties?

I am building a chamber that needs to last 500 years. It will be
indoors, but I need it to resist the effects of time and the elements.
I added commonly because I cannot afford some rare exotic metal.

Also, can anyone recommend a good metal rod, tube manufacter that
supplys their wares in metric sizes? (US based)

Thanks.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Harold and Susan Vordos

"James" wrote in message
oups.com...
The chamber is going to be around 6" in diameter and 12" in length,
wall thickness is going to be 5mm. Its purpose is to hold data disks
for long term storage. The chambers are going to be placed into fire
safes and the safes will be placed into underground bunkers.

Would plating the Stainless with gold help prevent corrosion?

The chambers will be filled with nitrogen gas to help preserve the
disks. What would you recommend for a seal? It cannot be any substance
such as rubber due to outgassing. I need something that makes a good
seal and does not deteroriate rapidly. The chambers will be opened
periodically, around every 50 years to refresh the disk media.

Can you also recommend a good machine shop in the Phoenix, AZ area? I
need a place that can weld all the pieces together.

Thank you for your help.

Your concern about corrosion is not understandable. Stainless should
withstand thousands of years without any type of preservation under the
conditions you've described. . Simply have it passivated after it has been
manufactured. I doubt you'd see enough change in the appearance in 100
years to know it's even been stored. I have remnant pieces that I've had
for well over 30 years, all of which went through 4 years of storage in a
damp container. They don't look any differently today than they did 30
years ago, and they didn't have the luxury of being passivated. That's
the beauty of stainless.

You're on your own where seals are concerned, but I think I'd research
various O ring compounds. Surely one of them would suit your needs.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve Smith

CD's and DVD's don't last forever. They sometimes don't last very long
at all. There is a fair bit of info on the web.

http://www.itl.nist.gov/div895/caref...dlingGuide.pdf
http://www.mscience.com/longev.html

There is also a serious consideration of how you will ensure there will
be equipment to read your storage media available and working. This
could easily be a problem in 20-50 years.

Steve

James wrote:

The chamber is going to be around 6" in diameter and 12" in length,
wall thickness is going to be 5mm. Its purpose is to hold data disks
for long term storage. The chambers are going to be placed into fire
safes and the safes will be placed into underground bunkers.

Would plating the Stainless with gold help prevent corrosion?

The chambers will be filled with nitrogen gas to help preserve the
disks. What would you recommend for a seal? It cannot be any substance
such as rubber due to outgassing. I need something that makes a good
seal and does not deteroriate rapidly. The chambers will be opened
periodically, around every 50 years to refresh the disk media.

Can you also recommend a good machine shop in the Phoenix, AZ area? I
need a place that can weld all the pieces together.

Thank you for your help.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Eide

I agree that stainless is a bargain in the short term. If you figure cost in
relation to time monel is cheap compared to stainless.
I've seen 80 year old monel deck hardware (chocks and cleats) look and act
like it had been installed last week and I've seen 5 year old stainless deck
hardware (chocks and cleats) look like it had been installed last week, but
act like it was made of peanut brittle.

Eide

"Eide" wrote in message
Monel is one of the best in the marine industry. It's very nobel.

Yes, it is, and also VERY expensive. Stainless is a bargain by comparison.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress

"Eide" wrote in message
I agree that stainless is a bargain in the short term. If you figure cost

in
relation to time monel is cheap compared to stainless.
I've seen 80 year old monel deck hardware (chocks and cleats) look and act
like it had been installed last week and I've seen 5 year old stainless

deck
hardware (chocks and cleats) look like it had been installed last week,

but
act like it was made of peanut brittle.

Eide

Excuse me if this is repitition (I haven't read this thread), but stainless
is vulnerable to stress-corrosion cracking, especially in a marine
environment. If it's under constant load and it's exposed to salt water, or
even to salt air, it's likely to fail sooner or later.

OTOH, I have monel trolling lines that are now 50 years old and they don't
break. That isn't constant load, of course, but it's remarkable nonetheless.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Nick Hull

In article cN2Cf.26170$CV.503@dukeread03,
"Eide" wrote:

I agree that stainless is a bargain in the short term. If you figure cost in
relation to time monel is cheap compared to stainless.
I've seen 80 year old monel deck hardware (chocks and cleats) look and act
like it had been installed last week and I've seen 5 year old stainless deck
hardware (chocks and cleats) look like it had been installed last week, but
act like it was made of peanut brittle.

Monel is good stuff, I've been using a 55 gal monel strainer for a burn
barrel for 30 years and it was old when I inherited it.

--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jtaylor

"James" wrote in message
ups.com...
The retrieval concern is already taken care of. The data will be
relevant for thousands of years as most knowledge is.

James, the ultra-whacko Scientologists use titanium sheets or something like
that to keep the priceless mumblings of their drug-ridden founder for future
alien invasion fleets to read. They have oodles of money (hint: get stupid
rich folk like Cruise and Travolta to sponsor you) and probably have done a
lot of this preservation research already. Google them and you might find
something useful...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jim rozen

In article .com, James
says...

The chambers will be filled with nitrogen gas to help preserve the
disks. What would you recommend for a seal? It cannot be any substance
such as rubber due to outgassing.

You should use a commercially available copper ConFlat high vacuum
seal. No elastomers and it will provide an excellent leak-tight
seal.

Jim

please reply to:
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Harold and Susan Vordos

"Eide" wrote in message
I agree that stainless is a bargain in the short term. If you figure cost

in
relation to time monel is cheap compared to stainless.
I've seen 80 year old monel deck hardware (chocks and cleats) look and act
like it had been installed last week and I've seen 5 year old stainless

deck
hardware (chocks and cleats) look like it had been installed last week,

but
act like it was made of peanut brittle.

That shouldn't be an issue in the circumstances described. Salt water is
tough on stainless because of chlorine. There should be none of that
present as the device was described. For that reason, the expenditure for
monel is likely a waste. Remember, the original post said: "I cannot
afford some rare exotic metal." My one inquiry on monel a few years back
disclosed a price of something like $15/lb. Could be it's more now, what
with copper prices having gone through the ceiling.

Monel would raise the cost of materials in excess of 400% as opposed to
stainless, and would likely serve no better. Were it used on a boat that
saw a sea environment, I'd agree with you.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
phorbin

In article , says...
CD's and DVD's don't last forever. They sometimes don't last very long
at all. There is a fair bit of info on the web.

http://www.itl.nist.gov/div895/caref...dlingGuide.pdf
http://www.mscience.com/longev.html

There is also a serious consideration of how you will ensure there will
be equipment to read your storage media available and working. This
could easily be a problem in 20-50 years.

Just include plans to build the retrieval apparatus.

A hard copy of the plans on archivally correct paper.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mike Berger

C'mon, a lot of that is readily available. I still have a perf
tape reader, and recently disposed of a working 8-track player.
The card readers went out years ago, but you can physically
read cards by looking at them! Still need to read 8" or
5.25" odd format floppies? I'll sell you a Compaticard disk
controller, the drives, and Uniform software to do it.
8mm and 16mm movie projectors show up at garage sales all the
time. If you don't have a Beta VCR (I have 3) there are
services that will transfer the tapes to another format for you.

I'd avoid using something completely proprietary for long term
storage. But you can still get 7 and 9 track computer tapes
read if you want. Odds are pretty good that you'll be able to
read standard CD's and DVD's in 50 years if the media don't
deteriorate significantly.

I'm a single individual and I can handle the majority of the
"obsolete" formats you've listed!

Emmo wrote:
The problem with long term media storage is not deterioration but lack of
playback hardware. I have lots of media from a mere 25 years ago that
cannot be read, not because of deterioration but because no hardware is
available. Try to find a punch card reader, a paper tape reader, a Sony
PortaPak reel-to-reel video player, a Beta video player, a video disk
player, a Polaroid film projector, an 8-track tape player, an 8 inch drive,
a single-sided 5 1/4" Apple II drive, a CP/M single density Osborne drive,
any number of tape drives, and so on.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mike Berger

Under the circumstances he's storing them, they'll probably last
a very long time.

Steve Smith wrote:
CD's and DVD's don't last forever. They sometimes don't last very long
at all. There is a fair bit of info on the web.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joseph Gwinn

The New York Times (Magazine?) commissioned a time capsule for the
Millennium (2000), and wrote a long article that appeared in either
December 1999 or January 2000. The capsule was intended to be opened in
1,000 years, and was made of investment-cast stainless steel.

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Harold and Susan Vordos

"Mike Berger" wrote in message
Yeah, but the original Mormon documents were on gold sheets and STILL
disappeared!

Chuckle!

I assume you have proof they really existed? Allow me to be the first to
step forth and say BS.

There's not so much as one thing in the Book of Mormon that can be verified
scientifically. The Bible has a much better track record, and even it's
suspect.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jim rozen

In article , Harold and Susan Vordos says...

You're on your own where seals are concerned, but I think I'd research
various O ring compounds. Surely one of them would suit your needs.

He'd be crazy to use elastomer O-rings when commercial conflat
flanges are there.

They use a flat OFHC gasked which is trapped between two stainless
knife edges. They will withstand high temperatures, low temperatures,
and unless the thick flat copper gasket completely rots away are
quite long-lasting I would think.

Jim

please reply to:

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress

"Mike Berger" wrote in message
Yeah, but the original Mormon documents were on gold sheets and STILL
disappeared!

Chuckle!

I assume you have proof they really existed? Allow me to be the first to
step forth and say BS.

There's not so much as one thing in the Book of Mormon that can be

verified
scientifically. The Bible has a much better track record, and even it's
suspect.

I prefer Thomas Jefferson's edition, the one he edited with a pair of
scissors. g

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Harold and Susan Vordos

"jim rozen" wrote in message
In article , Harold and Susan Vordos says...

You're on your own where seals are concerned, but I think I'd research
various O ring compounds. Surely one of them would suit your needs.

He'd be crazy to use elastomer O-rings when commercial conflat
flanges are there.

They use a flat OFHC gasked which is trapped between two stainless
knife edges. They will withstand high temperatures, low temperatures,
and unless the thick flat copper gasket completely rots away are
quite long-lasting I would think.

Jim

Hard to argue with that, Jim. I'm not familiar with them in the least, so I
had no clue. When I think about it, a dead soft copper gasket alone would
likely serve quite well, assuming the surfaces were well prepared. It
wouldn't take much in the way of creativity to machine some sealing grooves
on the lid.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols

According to jim rozen :
In article , Harold and Susan Vordos says...

You're on your own where seals are concerned, but I think I'd research
various O ring compounds. Surely one of them would suit your needs.

He'd be crazy to use elastomer O-rings when commercial conflat
flanges are there.

They use a flat OFHC gasked which is trapped between two stainless
knife edges. They will withstand high temperatures, low temperatures,
and unless the thick flat copper gasket completely rots away are
quite long-lasting I would think.

But bear in mind that the gaskets *must* be replaced every time
you open it for inspection. So -- be sure to stock enough gaskets to
deal with the inspection schedule, as replacements may not be available
one hundred years or so down the line.

The O-rings, however, can probably be re-used some number of
times -- if you can find a material which satisfies your other
requirements.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Harold and Susan Vordos

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

"Mike Berger" wrote in message
Yeah, but the original Mormon documents were on gold sheets and STILL
disappeared!

Chuckle!

I assume you have proof they really existed? Allow me to be the first

step forth and say BS.

There's not so much as one thing in the Book of Mormon that can be

verified
scientifically. The Bible has a much better track record, and even it's
suspect.

I prefer Thomas Jefferson's edition, the one he edited with a pair of
scissors. g

--
Ed Huntress

You know, Ed, in spite of our differences in the past, I can't help but
think that you and I agree on quite a few things!

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Nick Hull

In article ,
"Harold and Susan Vordos" wrote:

"Mike Berger" wrote in message
Yeah, but the original Mormon documents were on gold sheets and STILL
disappeared!

Chuckle!

I assume you have proof they really existed? Allow me to be the first to
step forth and say BS.

There's not so much as one thing in the Book of Mormon that can be verified
scientifically. The Bible has a much better track record, and even it's
suspect.

Actually there is one page in the Book of Mormon subject to
verification, it could not be translated in Joseph Smith's time. I had
it translated, and the Mormon's excommunicated me and my entire family