Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress

Default What commonly available alloy has the best corrorsion resistance properties?

"Eide" wrote in message
I agree that stainless is a bargain in the short term. If you figure cost

in
relation to time monel is cheap compared to stainless.
I've seen 80 year old monel deck hardware (chocks and cleats) look and act
like it had been installed last week and I've seen 5 year old stainless

deck
hardware (chocks and cleats) look like it had been installed last week,

but
act like it was made of peanut brittle.

Eide

Excuse me if this is repitition (I haven't read this thread), but stainless
is vulnerable to stress-corrosion cracking, especially in a marine
environment. If it's under constant load and it's exposed to salt water, or
even to salt air, it's likely to fail sooner or later.

OTOH, I have monel trolling lines that are now 50 years old and they don't
break. That isn't constant load, of course, but it's remarkable nonetheless.

--
Ed Huntress