Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Harold and Susan Vordos

Default What commonly available alloy has the best corrorsion resistance properties?

"Eide" wrote in message
I agree that stainless is a bargain in the short term. If you figure cost

in
relation to time monel is cheap compared to stainless.
I've seen 80 year old monel deck hardware (chocks and cleats) look and act
like it had been installed last week and I've seen 5 year old stainless

deck
hardware (chocks and cleats) look like it had been installed last week,

but
act like it was made of peanut brittle.

That shouldn't be an issue in the circumstances described. Salt water is
tough on stainless because of chlorine. There should be none of that
present as the device was described. For that reason, the expenditure for
monel is likely a waste. Remember, the original post said: "I cannot
afford some rare exotic metal." My one inquiry on monel a few years back
disclosed a price of something like $15/lb. Could be it's more now, what
with copper prices having gone through the ceiling.

Monel would raise the cost of materials in excess of 400% as opposed to
stainless, and would likely serve no better. Were it used on a boat that
saw a sea environment, I'd agree with you.

Harold