Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Roy

Default HSS Diamont point QC toolholder

My friend has this neat homemade toolholder that fits the aloris type
QC toolposts. He said he found it on the websome where.......and as
much as I looked at it and studied it for as simple as it was I for
the life of me can;'t seem to get it made right....and I am too
ashamed to call him and ask..........so here goes a good description
of it as I can give.

It uses sq ground HSS lathe bits, in the vertical or actually 12 Deg
from verticle forward and to the one side, and its mounted in a slot
held in place with a button head machine screw. Can be made with any
sized HSS tool blank material be it 3/16 or larger.

The top portion of the tool blank is ground at a 30 deg angle from one
corner to the opposite opposing corner, so when its in place the HSS
blank is on a 12 deg angle F/B and L/R with the high point of the end
that was ground with the 30 deg grind presented for doing the cutting.

Its machined from one block with dovetail and hss blank slot, but he
has some made using silver solder to hold the various pieces in place.
The thing is very easy to resharpen and is a perfect setup for using
HSS tooling, and simple sharpening of the blanks.

The big thing you have to watch is that the tool slot itself has
sufficient room to the chuck side to allow close in machining with a
typical tailstock in place......Its very ridgid and does a fantastic
job and makes a pretty darn nice finish.

If anyone knows of the website that has this tool on, how about
posting a link. Naw...........I'm not gonna "steal it" and post it on
my website Ron.
--
\\\|///
( @ @ )

oooO
---------( )----Oooo----------------
\ ( ( )
\_) ) /
(_/
The original frugal ponder! Koi-ahoi mates....
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mike Henry

"Roy" wrote in message
[...]

Does it look like this one?

http://www.bay-com.com/index.php?mai...=index&cPath=2

Mike

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Martin H. Eastburn

Sounds useful - I just built a Armstrong tool holder for my Aloris.
So the various tools I have just fit - nice and strong. It is oversized a bit
to support the added mass. I think that would be easier - large slot.
You can find Armstrong tool holders everywhere and buy new ones from lots of
people - even Armstrong. They are current products.

But I can see a magic tool as you explain. I'd like to see it myself.

Martin

Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH & Endowment Member

Roy wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman

On Thu, 5 Jan 2006 20:06:05 -0600, "Mike Henry"
wrote:

Does it look like this one?

http://www.bay-com.com/index.php?mai...=index&cPath=2

Mike

These work well. It's the toolholder I use 90% of the time. My
gripe is that I wish they'd made it so the bit has the correct angle
to the work when the Aloris toolpost is square to the axis so I
wouldn't have to re-orient the toolpost to use a parting tool.

I suppose they made it with a lantern type toolpost in mind. Ugh!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Miller

"Roy" wrote in message
[...]

I picked one of these up about 3 months ago from
the inventor ( who lives near me here in
Melbourne) and have hardly used anything else
since. He showed me a handy little trick,if you
want to face with it,just swing the tool post
around so that one face of the tool is parallel to
the axis of the lathe, if you want to turn down
the diameter of the work, turn it so that the
other face is perpendicular to the axis.
You can order directly from him on email

Tom

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Roy

Don
The ones my friend makes (personal use not for sale) are built
specifically for the quick change toolposts so they have the dovetail
and the portion that holds the tool already built into one item. I do
not know and neither does my friend know what the angle is that the
ones listed in the link are positioned at, as he has never had one of
them in his hands, but whith his years of being in the machine tool
sharpening service and machine shop field, he used the 12 deg angle
and grinds the top at 30 and it works fine..........All the ones I
seen pictuered on the link were made for use in a lantern type or a
turret type tool post.. Adding the dovetail for aloris style opens up
another whole new ballgame in functionality and use........ If you
make one for aloris style toolposts just make sure there is sufficient
offset to the chuck and length so you can clear a tailstock.

What I like about them is the ability to use the HSS blanks a lot
easier without a lot of grinding or adding shims etc to the common
aloris tool holders. I use HSS a lot for acrylics and aluminum and
while I do know how to sharpen them for various uses, its a lot easier
to grind them for this type tool holder. Its a perfect "project" for
someone with a mill and a lathe.

wrote:

Does it look like this one?

http://www.bay-com.com/index.php?mai...=index&cPath=2

Mike

These work well. It's the toolholder I use 90% of the time. My
gripe is that I wish they'd made it so the bit has the correct angle
to the work when the Aloris toolpost is square to the axis so I
wouldn't have to re-orient the toolpost to use a parting tool.

I suppose they made it with a lantern type toolpost in mind. Ugh!

--
\\\|///
( @ @ )
-----------oOOo(_)oOOo---------------

oooO
---------( )----Oooo----------------
\ ( ( )
\_) ) /
(_/
The original frugal ponder! Koi-ahoi mates....
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Roy

Default HSS Diamont point QC toolholder *Update*

I got around to making my diamond point tool holder today. I used a
piece of 1.5" sq stock, milled in the dovetail to bit ther BXA Aloris
toolpost, and slotted it for 1/4" HSS tools. I works like a
champ...about as ridgid as you can possible get and use HSS tooling on
a lathe.......makes a pretty decent finish as well. NIce to be able to
machine longitudinally and then face it as well without having to move
the position of the holder/tool post. I decided to see if I could
improve the finish more, and I found that if I grind a very slight
radius longitudinally on the sq corner of the 1/4" HSS tool blank and
cut with that slight radius, instead of the corner, it makes one hell
of a nice finish. It may just become one of my favored tools for my
lathe......Of course my mind left me, when I was about to mill the 12
deg compound angle slot, so I must have set there thinking for 30
minutes until the light bulb went on. I milled a 12 deg bevel on a
piece ofd scrap stock. seated the block of 1.5" stock against that 12
deg taper, and kicked the mills vise 12 deg and made the
slot.......I'm slowly loosing what little mind I had to begin
with.......or it may have been one to many beers or too long out in
the hot tub...anyway tool holder is done and its a good project, which
would be bound to add ridgiity to any lathe setup.
--
\\\|///
( @ @ )

oooO
---------( )----Oooo----------------
\ ( ( )
\_) ) /
(_/
The original frugal ponder! Koi-ahoi mates....

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Roy

Close enough to get the idea.....His is built with it having the
dovetail and holder all machined as one or built up with pieces brazed
in place with dovetail slot integrala with toolholder
itself.......but the bit is held about the same way 12 deg side
clearance x 12 deg front clearance with 30 deg top grind.
Thanks

wrote:

"Roy" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Roy

Pics can be seen at:

http://frugalmachinist.com/dpth.html
Regards
'
--
\\\|///
( @ @ )

oooO
---------( )----Oooo----------------
\ ( ( )
\_) ) /
(_/
The original frugal ponder! Koi-ahoi mates....

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Lew Hartswick

Andrew H. Wakefield wrote:

Thanks!

"Roy" wrote in message

Pics can be seen at:

http://frugalmachinist.com/dpth.html
Regards
'
--

I built one yesterday and took some pix today. I'll post them
later and add a note to this thread with the link to my
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Roy

Lew, when you used it did you leave the cutting tool sharp on the high
end or did you just round the corner slightly.

I used mine quite a lot today, turning down some steel shafting to
make arbor and spindles for a friend who want me to make him a wetcut
rock cutting saw. He supplied all the steel......wow, talk about a
bucket of rusty stuff.......I figured I sure did not want to wear out
my inserts and better tooling on that stuff, and figured once I
knocked off the worse crud, then change cutting tools........I used
the tool for it all, and I actually think its a pretty neat tool and
quick and easy to keep sharp......I could have extended the nose
portion of my tool out about 1/4" more and machined a harder angle on
the nose as well and it would have improved overall clearence angles a
lot........Heck yuy can[t have too many tools anyhow, so I'll use it
like it is for now and put it on my ever growing list of things to do
on rainy days.......so that essentially means I'll never get to make
another since the last rain we had here was back in early July...my
ponds are over 4 feet low, and this time of year thats unheard of in
this area, usually they are full to the brim.

Regards

On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 23:13:10 GMT, Lew Hartswick
wrote:
Andrew H. Wakefield wrote:

Thanks!

"Roy" wrote in message

Pics can be seen at:

http://frugalmachinist.com/dpth.html
Regards
'
--

I built one yesterday and took some pix today. I'll post them
later and add a note to this thread with the link to my
earthlink web page.
Incidentally it works pretty well.
Sure helps to have a tilt/rotary table.
...lew...

--
\\\|///
( @ @ )
-----------oOOo(_)oOOo---------------

oooO
---------( )----Oooo----------------
\ ( ( )
\_) ) /
(_/
The original frugal ponder! Koi-ahoi mates....
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Lew Hartswick

Roy wrote:
Lew, when you used it did you leave the cutting tool sharp on the high
end or did you just round the corner slightly.

I left it sharp (90deg corner). I finished the other end of the
holder today. The first one I put the bit "square" with the bar
and angled both "sideways" and "endwise" at 12 deg. Then for
kicks did one on the opposite end with the bit "diagonal" to
the bar, and made the angles 5deg. With this config I can
use 5/16 or 3/8 bits since the clamping is across corners. I
can see problems in getting into some places with either
configuration. The pictures will be in my "home page" I guess
it's called. ://homepage.earthlink.net/~lhartswick
Right now they are a little big, I have some croped and
compressed but want to add the new diagonal end ones before
I up-load them maybe by Sunday.
...lew...