Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Roy

Default HSS Diamont point QC toolholder

Close enough to get the idea.....His is built with it having the
dovetail and holder all machined as one or built up with pieces brazed
in place with dovetail slot integrala with toolholder
itself.......but the bit is held about the same way 12 deg side
clearance x 12 deg front clearance with 30 deg top grind.
Thanks

On Thu, 5 Jan 2006 20:06:05 -0600, "Mike Henry"
wrote:

"Roy" wrote in message
My friend has this neat homemade toolholder that fits the aloris type
QC toolposts. He said he found it on the websome where.......and as
much as I looked at it and studied it for as simple as it was I for
the life of me can;'t seem to get it made right....and I am too
ashamed to call him and ask..........so here goes a good description
of it as I can give.

It uses sq ground HSS lathe bits, in the vertical or actually 12 Deg
from verticle forward and to the one side, and its mounted in a slot
held in place with a button head machine screw. Can be made with any
sized HSS tool blank material be it 3/16 or larger.

The top portion of the tool blank is ground at a 30 deg angle from one
corner to the opposite opposing corner, so when its in place the HSS
blank is on a 12 deg angle F/B and L/R with the high point of the end
that was ground with the 30 deg grind presented for doing the cutting.

Its machined from one block with dovetail and hss blank slot, but he
has some made using silver solder to hold the various pieces in place.
The thing is very easy to resharpen and is a perfect setup for using
HSS tooling, and simple sharpening of the blanks.

The big thing you have to watch is that the tool slot itself has
sufficient room to the chuck side to allow close in machining with a
typical tailstock in place......Its very ridgid and does a fantastic
job and makes a pretty darn nice finish.

If anyone knows of the website that has this tool on, how about
posting a link. Naw...........I'm not gonna "steal it" and post it on
my website Ron.

Does it look like this one?

http://www.bay-com.com/index.php?mai...=index&cPath=2

Mike

--
\\\|///
( @ @ )

oooO
\ ( ( )
\_) ) /
(_/
The original frugal ponder! Koi-ahoi mates....