Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Roy

Default HSS Diamont point QC toolholder *Update*

I got around to making my diamond point tool holder today. I used a
piece of 1.5" sq stock, milled in the dovetail to bit ther BXA Aloris
toolpost, and slotted it for 1/4" HSS tools. I works like a
champ...about as ridgid as you can possible get and use HSS tooling on
a lathe.......makes a pretty decent finish as well. NIce to be able to
machine longitudinally and then face it as well without having to move
the position of the holder/tool post. I decided to see if I could
improve the finish more, and I found that if I grind a very slight
radius longitudinally on the sq corner of the 1/4" HSS tool blank and
cut with that slight radius, instead of the corner, it makes one hell
of a nice finish. It may just become one of my favored tools for my
lathe......Of course my mind left me, when I was about to mill the 12
deg compound angle slot, so I must have set there thinking for 30
minutes until the light bulb went on. I milled a 12 deg bevel on a
piece ofd scrap stock. seated the block of 1.5" stock against that 12
deg taper, and kicked the mills vise 12 deg and made the
slot.......I'm slowly loosing what little mind I had to begin
with.......or it may have been one to many beers or too long out in
the hot tub...anyway tool holder is done and its a good project, which
would be bound to add ridgiity to any lathe setup.
--
\\\|///
( @ @ )

oooO
\ ( ( )
\_) ) /
(_/
The original frugal ponder! Koi-ahoi mates....