Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Roy

Default HSS Diamont point QC toolholder

Don
The ones my friend makes (personal use not for sale) are built
specifically for the quick change toolposts so they have the dovetail
and the portion that holds the tool already built into one item. I do
not know and neither does my friend know what the angle is that the
ones listed in the link are positioned at, as he has never had one of
them in his hands, but whith his years of being in the machine tool
sharpening service and machine shop field, he used the 12 deg angle
and grinds the top at 30 and it works fine..........All the ones I
seen pictuered on the link were made for use in a lantern type or a
turret type tool post.. Adding the dovetail for aloris style opens up
another whole new ballgame in functionality and use........ If you
make one for aloris style toolposts just make sure there is sufficient
offset to the chuck and length so you can clear a tailstock.

What I like about them is the ability to use the HSS blanks a lot
easier without a lot of grinding or adding shims etc to the common
aloris tool holders. I use HSS a lot for acrylics and aluminum and
while I do know how to sharpen them for various uses, its a lot easier
to grind them for this type tool holder. Its a perfect "project" for
someone with a mill and a lathe.

On Thu, 05 Jan 2006 23:57:27 -0600, Don Foreman
wrote:
On Thu, 5 Jan 2006 20:06:05 -0600, "Mike Henry"
wrote:

Does it look like this one?

http://www.bay-com.com/index.php?mai...=index&cPath=2

Mike

These work well. It's the toolholder I use 90% of the time. My
gripe is that I wish they'd made it so the bit has the correct angle
to the work when the Aloris toolpost is square to the axis so I
wouldn't have to re-orient the toolpost to use a parting tool.

I suppose they made it with a lantern type toolpost in mind. Ugh!

--
\\\|///
( @ @ )

oooO
\ ( ( )
\_) ) /
(_/
The original frugal ponder! Koi-ahoi mates....