No

Default Challange - Help calculating Acarage?

Thanks in advance. Anyone want to take a stab at how many square feet,
aproximately, this description represents??? We all have our sicknesses. Do
I read this right that the property is on both sides of a road?

BEGINNING at a point on the
title line in the bed of "Road 1"
(proposed 50 feet wide) said point being
measured by the 08 following courses
and distances along the said title line and
its extension through Re bed of "Road 1"
from its point of intersection
with the title line in the bed of
"Road 2". (Route No. 2) (proposed 50
feet wide) (1) south 63 degrees 53 minutes
east 680 feet to a point on the tide
line in the bed of "Road 1" (2)
south 63 degrees 22 minutes east, 313.50
feet to a point (3) south 71 degrees 07
minutes east, 313.50 feet to a point (4)
south 61 degrees 22 minutes east, 238.40
feet to a point (5) south 38 degrees 22
minutes east, 132 feet to a point (6) south
38 degrees 16 minutes east, 873.89 feet to
a point (7) south 80 degrees 29 minutes
east, 553 feet to a point and (8) north 68
degrees 01 minute east, 300 feet to the
point of beginning; thence extending
from said point of beginning north 30
degrees 32 minutes west, crossing the
northwesterly side of "Road 1",
525 feet to a point; thence extending
south 80 degrees 34 minutes east crossing
a stream and partly along land about to
be conveyed to "Person 1", 699.10 feet to
a point; thence extending still partly
along the land to be conveyed to
"Person 1" south 70 degrees 06 minutes
east 90 feet to a point in line of land to be
conveyed to "Person 2" ; thence extending
along the last mentioned land the 02 following
courses and distances: (1) south
20 degrees 19 minutes west, 114 feet to a
point and (2) south 08 degrees 16 minutes
west, crossing the northeasterly side of
"Road 1" 312.80 feet to a point
on the title line in the bed of
"Road 1" aforesaid; thence extending along
the said title line through the bed of
"Road 1" the 02 following
courses and distances: (1) north 74
degrees 44 minutes west recrossing the
aforesaid stream 430 feet to a point and
(2) south 68 degrees 01 minute west, 25
feet to the first mentioned point and
place of beginning.

Duane Bozarth

No wrote:

[...]

Get them to supply a plat...
No

Thanks - This, and drive by is all I have. Sheriff sale, considering
flipping it. Just trying to get a sense of size, hence value, to see if its
something to persue. That will give bme better comps.
"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message
No wrote:

[...]

RicodJour

No wrote:
Thanks in advance. Anyone want to take a stab at how many square feet,
aproximately, this description represents??? We all have our sicknesses. Do
I read this right that the property is on both sides of a road?

If you know someone who uses AutoCAD, they can draw that up pretty
quickly, tell you if the boundaries close (they don't always) and
figure the acreage to 4 decimal points in fairly short order.

SQLit

"No" wrote in message
Thanks - This, and drive by is all I have. Sheriff sale, considering
flipping it. Just trying to get a sense of size, hence value, to see if

its
something to persue. That will give bme better comps.

Drive by? Get out and pace it off. Close enough for biding purposes.

I do agree that the road does run through it by the description. County
property map should be easy enough to scale. It might even be on line.

David Martel

No,

Get yourself some graph paper, pick a convenient scale, and start
drawing. Also draw out some 1 acre squares. If you can find a sensitive
weight scale then cut out the land diagram and an acre square, weigh each
and do the math. If you can't find a sensitive scale you can make a fairly
sensitive balance. Put the land diagram in one pan and acre squares and
partial squares until you have a good balance.

Dave M.

Duane Bozarth

David Martel wrote:

No,

Get yourself some graph paper, pick a convenient scale, and start
drawing. Also draw out some 1 acre squares. If you can find a sensitive
weight scale then cut out the land diagram and an acre square, weigh each
and do the math. If you can't find a sensitive scale you can make a fairly
sensitive balance. Put the land diagram in one pan and acre squares and
partial squares until you have a good balance.

Probably get close enough simply using a reasonable scale (drawing, not
weight) and counting the squares and estimating fractions.

I didn't sketch this out to see what shape it actually turns out to be
but could probably estimate it reasonably well from fitting some simpler
geometric figures into it as well...
Duane Bozarth

No wrote:

Thanks - This, and drive by is all I have. Sheriff sale, considering
flipping it. Just trying to get a sense of size, hence value, to see if its
something to persue. That will give bme better comps.

Just trying to follow along and adding up some numbers in same general
direction, looks like it's roughly a 1/4-mi or so on a side--I'd guess
wildly somewhere in the 40-50A neighborhood. Of course, if I drew it
out, I might find I was completely wrong, too...

If you have a CAD program, start entering lengths and berings and see
where it leads. Don't suppose there's a chance there's a plat on file
at the tax assessor's office?

No wrote:

[...]

Goedjn

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 14:16:23 -0400, "No" wrote:

Thanks - This, and drive by is all I have. Sheriff sale, considering
flipping it. Just trying to get a sense of size, hence value, to see if its
something to persue. That will give bme better comps.
"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message
No wrote:

Most of that is just finding the starting point.
Find a protracter, a compass, and some big graph paper,

I did a quick sketch in paintbrush to show you the
technique, and give you a rough idea of the
size and shape, at www.goedjn.com/sketch/plat.gif.

Eyeball guess, between 5 and 6 acres.

The purple lines indicate which borders I *THINK*
the proposed road goes through. (It sounds to me
as if the road isn't in yet, so you might be
able to influence it's exact placement,
modulo where the stream is, which I didn't
even bother to find.

--goedjn

[...]

No

I just did a drive by. Road is in and paved. Looks like the property was
part of a larger farm. This parcel contains the barn, a newer house and a
detached garage. The house looks like a modular (Not mobile home). One story
rancher. Drive is not paved. Next door is a multi million dollar custom
house. lien on this property is $175K. Sheriffs sale is on Friday. I have
never done a sheriffs sale before. I may just go to watch and learn and let
this one go. $175 would be a STEAL for this house in this area, I'm sure
others will be attending and know this as well. I can cover the 10% (of
175K) required at day of sale but do not have the balance due in 21 days.
Could be a year + long project if a new custom home were to be built on the
site. I could sell my current house, live in the modular and build new
myself. At under $200K I would seriously consider it. I would halve my
mortgage but then could get a construction loan, be net even on a monthly
basis and have a new house on a nice lot when I'm done. Nor really a
traditional flipping approach though. The property (not house) is a lot
nicer than my current property. Anyway, thanks for letting me think out
loud.

[...]

No

House is occupied by somone probably not too happy their house is being sold
by the sheriff. I'm not going to be able to walk it off. Its sort of
suburban/rural and lots of folks in these parts have guns (Hunters, etc).
"SQLit" wrote in message

"No" wrote in message
Thanks - This, and drive by is all I have. Sheriff sale, considering
flipping it. Just trying to get a sense of size, hence value, to see if

its
something to persue. That will give bme better comps.

Drive by? Get out and pace it off. Close enough for biding purposes.

I do agree that the road does run through it by the description. County
property map should be easy enough to scale. It might even be on line.

SJF

"No" wrote in message
[...]

So many years since I did this kind of thing. When we wrote such
descriptions, we always appended the calculated acreage -- but that's extra
work I guess.

Well, using protractor and ruler to plot, I got the figure to close which
gave me some reassurance that I could read the description. It appears to
be something approaching a rectangle with average east-west width of about
600 feet and average north-south height of 400 feet. That simple approach
suggests an area of 5.5 acres. Using a more refined method of summing
calculated subareas, I came up with 5.05 acres. These are not the best
methods of plotting and calculating but I estimate the latter figure to be
within 5 percent.

The references to "Road 1" seem a bit garbled but I get the impression that
the road is, or will be, the south boundary of the tract with the north half
of the road being part of the calculated area reducing the net usable about
one fourth of an acre (half width of 25 feet).

I'm long retired, pretty rusty and making assumptions here, so verify these
comments as well as you can before making a commitment.

SJF

Harry K

No wrote:
Thanks in advance. Anyone want to take a stab at how many square feet,
aproximately, this description represents??? We all have our sicknesses. Do
I read this right that the property is on both sides of a road?

I expected someone else to suggest this. Drop by your local auditor or
whoever is in charge of property taxes. They will show you the plat
map for any property. You have to be able to point out its location on
a map so they know where it is. It also shows who is the person paying
the taxes. It should also have the approximate acreage, i.e., "2.3
acre more or less"

Harry K

josh

"No" wrote
Thanks - This, and drive by is all I have. Sheriff sale, considering
flipping it. Just trying to get a sense of size, hence value, to see if

its
something to persue. That will give bme better comps.

Ummm, before getting all those dollar signs in your eyes, have you ever been
involved with a Sheriff sale?

That means generally, what the county has a lien on the property for. That
doesn't always mean, free and clear. Unless you're familiar with these kind
of sales, I would suggest getting an attorney involved.

A couple of properties I bid on, were Sheriff sales. One was 38k and
change, but then I would have had to buy out who owns the rest of the
property or vice versa, go through the courts, and drag on for years, having
my money spent to the county and waiting. Divorce cases are sometimes
Sheriff sales. Someone may have a lien on the property, and you may just be
buying their vested interest. There's a whole bunch of different things it
could be, but chances of getting the entire deed for what you're looking at,
are probably about none and zero.

No

Never done Sheriff sale before - I am currently getting a list of all liens.
At first blush, it looks like only lein is their Mortgage lender but more
research is warranted. Thanks for your advice.

"josh" wrote in message

"No" wrote
[...]

Calculating the load on a lintel nafuk UK diy 3 August 21st 05 03:11 AM
Calculating tensile forces in a spinning disc? Jon Danniken Metalworking 3 July 13th 05 07:05 AM
defroster heater, calculating resistence of replacement komodore comrade Electronics Repair 2 June 20th 05 12:29 AM
Calculating radiator size Nige UK diy 2 February 25th 05 01:34 PM
Calculating heat output for a replacement boiler bodger UK diy 7 November 11th 03 12:18 AM