Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Miller

Default HSS Diamont point QC toolholder

"Roy" wrote in message
My friend has this neat homemade toolholder that
fits the aloris type
QC toolposts. He said he found it on the websome
where.......and as
much as I looked at it and studied it for as
simple as it was I for
the life of me can;'t seem to get it made
right....and I am too
ashamed to call him and ask..........so here
goes a good description
of it as I can give.

It uses sq ground HSS lathe bits, in the
vertical or actually 12 Deg
from verticle forward and to the one side, and
its mounted in a slot
held in place with a button head machine screw.
Can be made with any
sized HSS tool blank material be it 3/16 or
larger.

The top portion of the tool blank is ground at a
30 deg angle from one
corner to the opposite opposing corner, so when
its in place the HSS
blank is on a 12 deg angle F/B and L/R with the
high point of the end
that was ground with the 30 deg grind presented
for doing the cutting.

Its machined from one block with dovetail and
hss blank slot, but he
has some made using silver solder to hold the
various pieces in place.
The thing is very easy to resharpen and is a
perfect setup for using
HSS tooling, and simple sharpening of the
blanks.

The big thing you have to watch is that the tool
slot itself has
sufficient room to the chuck side to allow close
in machining with a
typical tailstock in place......Its very ridgid
and does a fantastic
job and makes a pretty darn nice finish.

I picked one of these up about 3 months ago from
the inventor ( who lives near me here in
Melbourne) and have hardly used anything else
since. He showed me a handy little trick,if you
want to face with it,just swing the tool post
around so that one face of the tool is parallel to
the axis of the lathe, if you want to turn down
the diameter of the work, turn it so that the
other face is perpendicular to the axis.
You can order directly from him on email

Tom