Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
mj

Default He said No to Walmart

Cool. We have a Wally World in town and everytime I go in there I just
feel like I am doing business with satan for some reason.
A few years ago INC magazine had an article on small business that
dealt with WM and how it almost destroyed some of them.
Mike

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ken Sterling

Cool. We have a Wally World in town and everytime I go in there I just
feel like I am doing business with satan for some reason.
A few years ago INC magazine had an article on small business that
dealt with WM and how it almost destroyed some of them.
Mike

So WHY go in there??? Myself, my wife, both my boys and their wives
REFUSE to shop at Wal-Mart. PERIOD. I will pay more elsewhere, I
will get quality elsewhere. Until I absolutely cannot find what I
need at other places, Wal-mart will not get my China bound money.
This country needs to WAKE UP - and stop shopping at Wal-Mart !
Ken.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
mj

Because they are the only ones in town with any sort of a selection of
inkjet cartridges or electronics. Otherwise, I take my business
elsewhere.

And I agree that people need to boycott Wally World. But with their
"Everyday Low Prices" that has about much chance of happening as me
turning into your fairy godmother.

Mike

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Brent Philion

really walmart prices in general are no lower than elsewhere its
marketing that shows the few things that are cheaper better than others

mj wrote:
Because they are the only ones in town with any sort of a selection of
inkjet cartridges or electronics. Otherwise, I take my business
elsewhere.

And I agree that people need to boycott Wally World. But with their
"Everyday Low Prices" that has about much chance of happening as me
turning into your fairy godmother.

Mike

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress

"Brent Philion" wrote in message
really walmart prices in general are no lower than elsewhere its
marketing that shows the few things that are cheaper better than others

Overall, they run 3 to 5% lower than competitors, according to retail
surveys.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 15:09:41 GMT, Ken Sterling (Ken Sterling) wrote:

Cool. We have a Wally World in town and everytime I go in there I just
feel like I am doing business with satan for some reason.
A few years ago INC magazine had an article on small business that
dealt with WM and how it almost destroyed some of them.
Mike

So WHY go in there??? Myself, my wife, both my boys and their wives
REFUSE to shop at Wal-Mart. PERIOD. I will pay more elsewhere, I
will get quality elsewhere. Until I absolutely cannot find what I
need at other places, Wal-mart will not get my China bound money.
This country needs to WAKE UP - and stop shopping at Wal-Mart !
Ken.

So Ken..can you give me the names of a couple good American made CD or
DVD players? Or perhaps a TV set?

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ken Sterling

On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 15:09:41 GMT, Ken Sterling (Ken Sterling) wrote:

Cool. We have a Wally World in town and everytime I go in there I just
feel like I am doing business with satan for some reason.
A few years ago INC magazine had an article on small business that
dealt with WM and how it almost destroyed some of them.
Mike

So WHY go in there??? Myself, my wife, both my boys and their wives
REFUSE to shop at Wal-Mart. PERIOD. I will pay more elsewhere, I
will get quality elsewhere. Until I absolutely cannot find what I
need at other places, Wal-mart will not get my China bound money.
This country needs to WAKE UP - and stop shopping at Wal-Mart !
Ken.

So Ken..can you give me the names of a couple good American made CD or
DVD players? Or perhaps a TV set?

Gunner

Lots of stuff made here (Sony), and lots of stuff made in Japan (Sony)
...... stuff made in China - don't want it, don't need it - may as
well throw the bux in the dumpster as that's where the Chinese junk is
going to end up anyway (and soon)... and basically all the Chinese are
doing is reverse engineering anything that is going on the market -
then they cheapen it up - and mass produce it and flood the market so
the Americans will buy it and throw it away in a week and buy another.
sigh Don't own a DVD or a CD - don't need 'em, and when the old TV
finally craps out, may not even replace it, as there certainly isn't
anything worth watching on it now. China has surpassed the US in
electronic exports (2005) - only because we buy 'em - and only because
Wal-mart floods the market with 'em. But it's no different with
clothing, toys, etc., etc.... It's getting real tough to buy "made in
USA", but I'm continually trying. I'm also a bit stubborn in that I
may either *make* what I need or do without if it says CHINA on it.
But, then again, that's just me and my attitude. I hate Wal-mart and
everything it stands for and does.... watch a show on PBS called
Frontline sometime when they are showing "Wal-mart, are they really
*good* for America".... You may get the picture....
Ken.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 21:10:36 GMT, Ken Sterling (Ken Sterling) wrote:

[...]

So its ok if I buy the CD player at Costco for $50, but not the very
same chinese made one at Walmart for $29?

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques

On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 21:10:36 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Ken
Sterling (Ken Sterling) quickly quoth:

[...]

Ken, the Sony plant over by Los Peñasquitos, CA made sony TVs from PC
boards made in Japan or the USA, all the components were assembled and
soldered by maquiladoras in Mexico, and then sent back across the
border. The tubes were all Malaysian-made and the folks at Sony here
in the USA just -assembled- things. I knew a couple of folks who had
worked there when I lived in Vista.

They're probably all made in Mexico, Malaysia, and/or China by now.

You should probably get used to global goods, though, Ken. They're
here to stay and you and a few others won't even slightly faze the
trend. Boycotting Wally World can only hurt the US job market, but
that's only if you're having -any- effect whatsoever on their sales,
which I highly doubt.

--
REMEMBER: First you pillage, then you burn.
---
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ken Sterling

[...]

Gunner,
I think you are missing my point... I try *not* to buy Chinese - from
*anybody*. My options are quickly being extinguished, however, since
the American market is getting flooded with Chinese junk - greatly
enhanced by the Wal-mart purchases. If you and everyone else would
refuse to buy that Chinese CD player from ANYBODY, wouldn't you think
that better made ones would become available on the market? (I know
this would only be a hypothetical situation because everyone is
wanting to save a buck). I may not make much of a difference, but at
least I feel that I'm not contributing to the loss of American jobs by
not buying the Chinese junk. It's so bad now, that there are getting
to be more and more Americans *moving* to China to get jobs. That
just ain't right. It's like buying an American flag, with a tag on it
that says "Made in China". Makes me sick, even tho it appears not to
bother you very much... sigh.
Ken.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ken Sterling

[...]

Larry,
/rant on/
I know I'm not having much effect, but down deep, I feel better about
it. I have to disagree that boycotting Wal-mart hurts the US job
market, as Wal-mart and their methods have shut down many US
companies, including Rubbermaid, and some TV plants. They have buying
power, which they choose to use for Chinese stuff, and the big shots
are simply lining their pockets with the savings (the stuff sells for
just enough less to get the majority of the market share). The
following is not accurate, but as an example, if Wally was buying a TV
made in the US for $125 from a US company and was selling it for $179,
then told the US company that they would only pay $75 for that TV or
they would simply go to China to get it, the US company can't sell
them to Wally for that - so Wally goes to China, buys the China junk
for $75, but *still* sells them for $179... extra lining for Wally's
pockets. Meanwhile, the US company goes out of business, thus a loss
of jobs. I know that I'm being an ass about this, but I simply won't
support Wally and couldn't wish more that a business such as them
would completely fold up, blow up, blow away, drown, burst into
flames, or whatever, just to eliminate this leech.
/rant off/ (and sorry).
Ken.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
clare at snyder.on.ca

On Tue, 03 Jan 2006 02:56:10 GMT, Ken Sterling (Ken Sterling) wrote:

[...]

With electronics stuff the prevailing opinion seams to be"it'll be
obsolete in six months, so, so what if it only lasts a year"
Our landfills are filling up with totally useable, but out-dated or
obsolete electronics. Our consumer society, with its disposable
mentality, combined with "Buy the cheapest itis" will be the undoing
of the American (and Canadian, and Australian ---) economies.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
clare at snyder.on.ca

[...]

Companies like WalMart will under-price an article to gain a sails
advantage, then force the price so low nobody else can afford to
sell/produce it. When they have accomplished this, they decide it is
no longer "to their advantage" to sell it for no profit, or a loss -
so they stop selling it, and there is NO source left. Another company
tries to do it on a profitable basis, and they fail, because "its only
worth $0.99" in the public perception, even if it cost $5 to produce.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Martin H. Eastburn

Thinking of buying Japanese ? - was it made in China ? - Maybe so.
The two countries distrust each other and have hatred - but business is business.

Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH & Endowment Member

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Lyon

--
[...]

It's actually a little worse than you describe.

Walmart aproaches the US comany and signs a 1 year contract saying they'll
buy a huge number of items at a price that the US company can make a profit.
The company makes a huge capital investment to cover the surge in sales. The
next year, Walmart says lower your price to XXXX without regard to weather
that is resonable or not. If the US company does not comply, they cannot
cover the loans used for their capital investment, so they go under. Walmart
will then decide if they would like to have the product made in China, or
self label it. If the US company decides to meet Walmart's demands, they can
plan on the same thing happening the next year.