excap

Default Walmart Exterior Paint, Part Deux

Okay, thanks everyone for their responses! I think I'm not going to risk
the Wal-Mart Paint. Now I have 2 options instead:

1) Lowe's Paint (Which I hear is Olympic) $75 for 5 Gallons

or

2) Benjamin Moore from my local paint store at approx. $25-30 per gallon.

Now I heard that BJ is absolutely the best there is, and I like that. I'm
going to be using about 10 gallons on my house and that would give me about
a $100-150 difference in price.

Opinions? Olympic any good or what?

Duane Bozarth

excap wrote:

Okay, thanks everyone for their responses! I think I'm not going to risk
the Wal-Mart Paint. Now I have 2 options instead:

1) Lowe's Paint (Which I hear is Olympic) $75 for 5 Gallons

or

2) Benjamin Moore from my local paint store at approx. $25-30 per gallon.

Now I heard that BJ is absolutely the best there is, and I like that. I'm
going to be using about 10 gallons on my house and that would give me about
a $100-150 difference in price.

Opinions? Olympic any good or what?

Know nothing specific about Olympic paints...I would presume some are
probably quite good. I wouldn't expect a $15/gal paint to be up to a
paint at nearly twice the price. I'm also sure B-M has alternatives at
less than that...I do know that the S-W product w/ the unlimited
lifetime warranty is roughly the same price as you mention.
Colbyt

"excap" wrote in message
Okay, thanks everyone for their responses! I think I'm not going to risk
the Wal-Mart Paint. Now I have 2 options instead:

1) Lowe's Paint (Which I hear is Olympic) $75 for 5 Gallons

or

2) Benjamin Moore from my local paint store at approx. $25-30 per gallon.

Now I heard that BJ is absolutely the best there is, and I like that. I'm
going to be using about 10 gallons on my house and that would give me

about
a $100-150 difference in price.

Opinions? Olympic any good or what?

Wise decision about the Wal-Mart paint.

I have no experience with the Olympic paint.

I have not used the better grade of Ben Moore either. The second level
exterior gloss paint is a great product. Nice body, goes on smooth, level
and covers well. I never manage to paint anything in one coat but over a
similar color this paint might do it for most people.

Colbyt

We recently repainted parts of our house and used top end Benjamin
Moors.
I'm pleased with it after 8 or 9 months.
I've used Sherwin Williams and been pleased with it too.
Painter discussed several paint brands.
He says he has seen paint brands change in quality from time to time.
TB

Hopkins

If you have the option, check out Glidden Endurance [it's along the
same price line as the B-M].

I have no recent experience with Olympic paint, specifically. Their
solid color stain is nice, but that's not what you want.

I used B-M a few years ago, so I don't know if they've done a
reformulation since. At any rate, there were no problems working with
it, and I haven't heard from the customer yet. I know those who swear
by B-M *really* swear by it.

I like Lowes' American Traditions interior, but i have no experience
with Lowes exterior.

Jim Ranieri

"excap" wrote in message
Okay, thanks everyone for their responses! I think I'm not going to risk
the Wal-Mart Paint. Now I have 2 options instead:

1) Lowe's Paint (Which I hear is Olympic) $75 for 5 Gallons

or

2) Benjamin Moore from my local paint store at approx. $25-30 per gallon.

Now I heard that BJ is absolutely the best there is, and I like that. I'm
going to be using about 10 gallons on my house and that would give me

about
a $100-150 difference in price.

Opinions? Olympic any good or what?

It's quite possible that Olympic manufactures brands for other stores to
different specs than they do for their own label.

I'd get the Moore.

Unrevealed Source

Someone else said it, but buy your paint from a paint store, not a
mass-merchandiser or even a home-improvement store like HD or Lowes. I'm a
big fan of Sherwin Williams and their top-of-the line exterior paint is
amazing. Whatever you buy, buy the best they carry.

"excap" wrote in message
Okay, thanks everyone for their responses! I think I'm not going to risk
the Wal-Mart Paint. Now I have 2 options instead:

1) Lowe's Paint (Which I hear is Olympic) $75 for 5 Gallons

or

2) Benjamin Moore from my local paint store at approx. $25-30 per gallon.

Now I heard that BJ is absolutely the best there is, and I like that. I'm
going to be using about 10 gallons on my house and that would give me

about
a $100-150 difference in price.

Opinions? Olympic any good or what?

Dave

"Unrevealed Source" wrote in
:

Someone else said it, but buy your paint from a paint store, not a
mass-merchandiser or even a home-improvement store like HD or Lowes.
I'm a big fan of Sherwin Williams and their top-of-the line exterior
paint is amazing. Whatever you buy, buy the best they carry.

FWIW, here are Consumer Reports top 5 exterior paints:

#1 California Fresh Coat Velvet (flat) $27
#2 Glidden Endurance (semigloss) $32
#3 Pratt & Lambert Accolade Eggshell (flat) $35
#4 Glidden Endurance Satin (low luster) $30
#5 Glidden Spred-Dura (gloss) CR Best Buy $20

All are given an "excellent" rating for 3 and 6 year durability. The first
three were also given "excellent" for 9 year durability while the last two
were given "very good" for 9 year durability.

walmart paint is the best dang paint in the whole dang
universe!!!!!!!!!!

OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Part P - new cable colours CRB UK diy 50 November 30th 04 11:13 PM
Ball valves - whats the difference Alan Campbell UK diy 5 March 24th 04 01:06 PM
"Part P in force by 2004" Andy Wade UK diy 45 November 12th 03 04:43 PM
recmd to mark steel part with changing lot code? William Danielson Metalworking 4 July 1st 03 01:57 PM