Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
clare at snyder.on.ca

Default He said No to Walmart

REMEMBER: First you pillage, then you burn.
---
http://diversify.com NoteSHADES(tm) laptop privacy/glare guards

Larry,
/rant on/
I know I'm not having much effect, but down deep, I feel better about
it. I have to disagree that boycotting Wal-mart hurts the US job
market, as Wal-mart and their methods have shut down many US
companies, including Rubbermaid, and some TV plants. They have buying
power, which they choose to use for Chinese stuff, and the big shots
are simply lining their pockets with the savings (the stuff sells for
just enough less to get the majority of the market share). The
following is not accurate, but as an example, if Wally was buying a TV
made in the US for $125 from a US company and was selling it for $179,
then told the US company that they would only pay $75 for that TV or
they would simply go to China to get it, the US company can't sell
them to Wally for that - so Wally goes to China, buys the China junk
for $75, but *still* sells them for $179... extra lining for Wally's
pockets. Meanwhile, the US company goes out of business, thus a loss
of jobs. I know that I'm being an ass about this, but I simply won't
support Wally and couldn't wish more that a business such as them
would completely fold up, blow up, blow away, drown, burst into
flames, or whatever, just to eliminate this leech.
/rant off/ (and sorry).
Ken.
that's only if you're having -any- effect whatsoever on their sales,
which I highly doubt.

Companies like WalMart will under-price an article to gain a sails
advantage, then force the price so low nobody else can afford to
sell/produce it. When they have accomplished this, they decide it is
no longer "to their advantage" to sell it for no profit, or a loss -
so they stop selling it, and there is NO source left. Another company
tries to do it on a profitable basis, and they fail, because "its only
worth $0.99" in the public perception, even if it cost $5 to produce.