Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete Bergstrom

Default Keeping a lathe and mill warm over winter?

Last winter I used lamps to slightly warm my mill and lathe over the
cold period when I don't use the shop (to keep the condensation problem
down). I'm doing that right now, but the light bulbs burn out and even
when working they make a nice glow that escapes the garage, probably
alerting the up-to-no-good-types that there's something of value in there.

I've been looking for coffee-cup warmers, which I've read will do
something similar as they put out about 25 watts of heat. They don't
seem to be around anymore.

Any other suggestions? I have a Model Engineer's Workshop issue from a
few years ago that has a DIY thermostat and heater project, but I'd just
as soon use something cheap and ready-made.

Thanks,
Pete (in St. Paul, MN)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

"Pete Bergstrom" insisted
but I'd just as soon use something cheap and ready-made.

How 'bout pipe warming tape? You could just wrap a section of the base or
table and let 'er run. The stuff comes both in bulk or already terminated
with a plug.

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
F. George McDuffee

I ran into the same thing when I went back to Walmart for another
coffee cup warmer.

They now call these candle warmers to heat the aroma therapy
candles where flames are not allowed or where the soot given off
by the candle when it burns is objectionable.

Look in the Artsy-Fartsy section. As the clerk for a candle
warmer if you cant find one. Big notice on the package that
these are not to be used to warm food or beverage. This may be
why they aren't sold as coffee warmers anymore.

Uncle George

On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 10:11:17 -0600, Pete Bergstrom
wrote:

Last winter I used lamps to slightly warm my mill and lathe over the
cold period when I don't use the shop (to keep the condensation problem
down). I'm doing that right now, but the light bulbs burn out and even
when working they make a nice glow that escapes the garage, probably
alerting the up-to-no-good-types that there's something of value in there.

I've been looking for coffee-cup warmers, which I've read will do
something similar as they put out about 25 watts of heat. They don't
seem to be around anymore.

Any other suggestions? I have a Model Engineer's Workshop issue from a
few years ago that has a DIY thermostat and heater project, but I'd just
as soon use something cheap and ready-made.

Thanks,
Pete (in St. Paul, MN)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bob AZ

Pete

A small space heater will keep the place dry. I got mne at COSTCO a few
uears ago. They have a thermostat that will allow it to be used as a
warmer. Perhaps a piece of plastic over your lathe and mill will help.
Bob AZ

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C.

Pete Bergstrom wrote:

Last winter I used lamps to slightly warm my mill and lathe over the
cold period when I don't use the shop (to keep the condensation problem
down). I'm doing that right now, but the light bulbs burn out and even
when working they make a nice glow that escapes the garage, probably
alerting the up-to-no-good-types that there's something of value in there.

I've been looking for coffee-cup warmers, which I've read will do
something similar as they put out about 25 watts of heat. They don't
seem to be around anymore.

Any other suggestions? I have a Model Engineer's Workshop issue from a
few years ago that has a DIY thermostat and heater project, but I'd just
as soon use something cheap and ready-made.

Thanks,
Pete (in St. Paul, MN)

Cabella's, Bass Pro Shops, your local gun store and many other places
will have tubular heaters intended to warming gun safes to prevent
condensation and rust.

Pete C.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
rigger

Pete Bergstrom wrote:
Last winter I used lamps to slightly warm my mill and lathe over the
cold period when I don't use the shop (to keep the condensation problem
down). I'm doing that right now, but the light bulbs burn out and even
when working they make a nice glow that escapes the garage, probably
alerting the up-to-no-good-types that there's something of value in there.

I've been looking for coffee-cup warmers, which I've read will do
something similar as they put out about 25 watts of heat. They don't
seem to be around anymore.

These can not be used unless the coils are immersed in liquid
(otherwise they burn out) and besides you can not FULLY immerse them so
the duration of heat will be very short before you need to add liquid
or unplug them.

Any other suggestions? I have a Model Engineer's Workshop issue from a
few years ago that has a DIY thermostat and heater project, but I'd just
as soon use something cheap and ready-made.

I just picked-up a used Corona kerosene heater for my shop. It starts
and runs well and is independant of outside power. Although I like it
for my use I don't know what the economics will look like yet (compared
to electric or propane). Another good manufacturer is Kero-Sun.
The simple, lower hassel, solution would be one of those oil filled
electric heaters which look like an old time radiator; they never get
hot enough to ignite things that come their way. And they work great.

dennis
in nca

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Hinz

On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 17:46:27 GMT, Ignoramus19006 wrote:
On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 17:33:10 GMT, Pete C. wrote:
Cabella's, Bass Pro Shops, your local gun store and many other places
will have tubular heaters intended to warming gun safes to prevent
condensation and rust.

I would really like to find a small, safe heating element that would
make perhaps abou 30 watts or so. I need two, one to keep the poultry
waterer from freezing, and I would put another into my welding
machine. I will check out cabelas.

Iggy, I've got a box of power resistors looking for a good home. All
NOS Mallory stuff. Cover shipping plus 5 bucks, they're yours. Will
(just) fit into a flat-rate box, so there's probably 50 of 'em in
there. Up to 100 ohm/100 watt, all heavy duty ceramic wirewound type.

Dave "Have I mentioned I've got lots of oddball stuff?" Hinz

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
SteveF

"Pete C." wrote in message
Pete Bergstrom wrote:

[snip]

Any other suggestions? I have a Model Engineer's Workshop issue from a
few years ago that has a DIY thermostat and heater project, but I'd just
as soon use something cheap and ready-made.

Thanks,
Pete (in St. Paul, MN)

Cabella's, Bass Pro Shops, your local gun store and many other places
will have tubular heaters intended to warming gun safes to prevent
condensation and rust.

Pete C.

It's called a "Golden Rod". Here are some
http://www.sports4fan.com/boating/golden_rod.html

Steve.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
SteveF

"rigger" wrote in message
oups.com...

Pete Bergstrom wrote:
Last winter I used lamps to slightly warm my mill and lathe over the
cold period when I don't use the shop (to keep the condensation problem

[snip]

I just picked-up a used Corona kerosene heater for my shop. It starts
and runs well and is independant of outside power. Although I like it
for my use I don't know what the economics will look like yet (compared
to electric or propane). Another good manufacturer is Kero-Sun.
The simple, lower hassel, solution would be one of those oil filled
electric heaters which look like an old time radiator; they never get
hot enough to ignite things that come their way. And they work great.

dennis
in nca

First time I heated my shop with a kerosene heater I got surface rust all
over the place. Some folks replied that this is due to the chemicals
released when the kerosene is burned in an enclosed space. A nice man got
an almost new kerosene heater at my yard sale.

YMMV.

Steve.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete Bergstrom

Ignoramus19006 wrote:
On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 17:33:10 GMT, Pete C. wrote:

Cabella's, Bass Pro Shops, your local gun store and many other places
will have tubular heaters intended to warming gun safes to prevent
condensation and rust.

I would really like to find a small, safe heating element that would
make perhaps abou 30 watts or so. I need two, one to keep the poultry
waterer from freezing, and I would put another into my welding
machine. I will check out cabelas.

I thought about aquarium heaters for my machines, but they'd probably be
more appropriate for your use.

Thanks,
Pete

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete Bergstrom

rigger wrote:
Pete Bergstrom wrote:

Last winter I used lamps to slightly warm my mill and lathe over the
cold period when I don't use the shop (to keep the condensation problem
down). I'm doing that right now, but the light bulbs burn out and even
when working they make a nice glow that escapes the garage, probably
alerting the up-to-no-good-types that there's something of value in there.

I've been looking for coffee-cup warmers, which I've read will do
something similar as they put out about 25 watts of heat. They don't
seem to be around anymore.

These can not be used unless the coils are immersed in liquid
(otherwise they burn out) and besides you can not FULLY immerse them so
the duration of heat will be very short before you need to add liquid
or unplug them.

I was thinking of the ones where you set a coffee cup on the warmer
which sits on your desk. I'd turn a metal disk to sit on the warmer and
make good contact with the machine.

Thanks,
Pete
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete Bergstrom

F. George McDuffee wrote:
I ran into the same thing when I went back to Walmart for another
coffee cup warmer.

They now call these candle warmers to heat the aroma therapy
candles where flames are not allowed or where the soot given off
by the candle when it burns is objectionable.

Look in the Artsy-Fartsy section. As the clerk for a candle
warmer if you cant find one. Big notice on the package that
these are not to be used to warm food or beverage. This may be
why they aren't sold as coffee warmers anymore.

Aha! I'll go searching this weekend.

Thanks!!
Pete

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete Bergstrom

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
"Pete Bergstrom" insisted

but I'd just as soon use something cheap and ready-made.

How 'bout pipe warming tape? You could just wrap a section of the base or
table and let 'er run. The stuff comes both in bulk or already terminated
with a plug.

That might work very well for the colder temperatures. I used one of
these to keep my mother's well from freezing up. Several years without a
problem so far. The one I got had a thermostat that kicked in just above
freezing; maybe I can find one that I could control across the range of
dewpoints from season to season.

Thanks!
Pete
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete Bergstrom

Pete C. wrote:

Cabella's, Bass Pro Shops, your local gun store and many other places
will have tubular heaters intended to warming gun safes to prevent
condensation and rust.

Ah, it looks like a GoldenRod with an thermostatic circuit for on/off
control will do what I want. I might want to do a bit more on the
insulating side of my cover tarps, though.

Thanks!
Pete
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Emmo

Go to the Goodwill, Savers, or other second-hand stores. Plenty of them
there - I haven't had to pay over $3 yet...

I've been looking for coffee-cup warmers, which I've read will do
something similar as they put out about 25 watts of heat. They don't seem
to be around anymore.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Brian Lawson

wrote:

Last winter I used lamps to slightly warm my mill and lathe over the
cold period when I don't use the shop (to keep the condensation problem
down). I'm doing that right now, but the light bulbs burn out and even
when working they make a nice glow that escapes the garage, probably
alerting the up-to-no-good-types that there's something of value in there.

I've been looking for coffee-cup warmers, which I've read will do
something similar as they put out about 25 watts of heat. They don't
seem to be around anymore.

Any other suggestions? I have a Model Engineer's Workshop issue from a
few years ago that has a DIY thermostat and heater project, but I'd just
as soon use something cheap and ready-made.

Thanks,
Pete (in St. Paul, MN)

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Hey Pete,

I don't think there is much you can do "for free". You'll have to
spend something, no matter what you do.

And it doesn't really take much. The metal does not have to be
"warm", but just warmer that the dew point in the shop

Ceiling fans help considerably. Just left on, directed over the
machines, it will help a lot.

Cover the machines loosely with something that will hold some heat in,
like a blanket or cardboard box. Then put a light bulb underneath. If
you can put a thermostat (garage sale tops 5 bucks) in line with the
bulb. It will help, but note that most thermostat's won't "set" to
below 50 degrees or so.
If you do so, two hints.. use good "Rough Service" bulb(s),...and
either a "cord light dimmer" which cuts the lamp output to about 1/2,
or a lamp dimmer that allows even greater control.

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bill Schwab

Bob AZ wrote:
Pete

A small space heater will keep the place dry. I got mne at COSTCO a few
uears ago. They have a thermostat that will allow it to be used as a
warmer. Perhaps a piece of plastic over your lathe and mill will help.

Hmmm. Plastic would act as a water barrier and probably make it worse.
What about an electric blanket??

Bill

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ecnerwal

In article ,
Pete Bergstrom wrote:

Any other suggestions? I have a Model Engineer's Workshop issue from a
few years ago that has a DIY thermostat and heater project, but I'd just
as soon use something cheap and ready-made.

Farm store - heater that screws into light socket (but unlike a light
bulb, does not burn out, or visibly glow).

Farm store - poultry waterer heater (heater that sits under poultry
waterer to keep it from freezing).

Pet store - "hot rock" for reptiles.

Household/closet store - "closet heater rod" - low temp heater to keep
the closet from getting mouldy.

And finally, the best suggestion of all (expensive, though):

Rip out the slab, put in insulation, put in radiant tubing, pour a new
slab, insulate the rest of the shop, run the radiant heat in the floor
to keep the machines warm, and crank it up half a day before you go to
use them, rather than letting them sit idle all winter...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C.

Pete Bergstrom wrote:

Pete C. wrote:

Cabella's, Bass Pro Shops, your local gun store and many other places
will have tubular heaters intended to warming gun safes to prevent
condensation and rust.

Ah, it looks like a GoldenRod with an thermostatic circuit for on/off
control will do what I want. I might want to do a bit more on the
insulating side of my cover tarps, though.

Thanks!
Pete

Old blankets or sleeping bags work well for extra insulation. Perhaps
not the most attractive, but if you're not in the cold shop working it
shouldn't matter.

Pete C.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete Bergstrom

Hey Pete,

I don't think there is much you can do "for free". You'll have to
spend something, no matter what you do.

Free isn't necessary. Safe and effective are my priorities.

And it doesn't really take much. The metal does not have to be
"warm", but just warmer that the dew point in the shop

Ceiling fans help considerably. Just left on, directed over the
machines, it will help a lot.

Cover the machines loosely with something that will hold some heat in,
like a blanket or cardboard box. Then put a light bulb underneath. If
you can put a thermostat (garage sale tops 5 bucks) in line with the
bulb. It will help, but note that most thermostat's won't "set" to
below 50 degrees or so.
If you do so, two hints.. use good "Rough Service" bulb(s),...and
either a "cord light dimmer" which cuts the lamp output to about 1/2,
or a lamp dimmer that allows even greater control.

Quartz-halogen lamps might fix the major problem I have, which is the
burnt-out bulb. It still has the "visible from outside" issue.

Thanks!
Pete
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete Bergstrom

Ecnerwal wrote:
In article ,
Pete Bergstrom wrote:

Any other suggestions? I have a Model Engineer's Workshop issue from a
few years ago that has a DIY thermostat and heater project, but I'd just
as soon use something cheap and ready-made.

Farm store - heater that screws into light socket (but unlike a light
bulb, does not burn out, or visibly glow).

This sounds like a winner.

Farm store - poultry waterer heater (heater that sits under poultry
waterer to keep it from freezing).

Pet store - "hot rock" for reptiles.

Household/closet store - "closet heater rod" - low temp heater to keep
the closet from getting mouldy.

And finally, the best suggestion of all (expensive, though):

Rip out the slab, put in insulation, put in radiant tubing, pour a new
slab, insulate the rest of the shop, run the radiant heat in the floor
to keep the machines warm, and crank it up half a day before you go to
use them, rather than letting them sit idle all winter...

I'm going in that direction; hopefully will get it done next summer.
I've rebuilt my garage over the last 3 summers and the final parts of
the project are a new floor and door.

Thanks!!
Pete
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
carl mciver

| I would really like to find a small, safe heating element that would
| make perhaps abou 30 watts or so. I need two, one to keep the poultry
| waterer from freezing, and I would put another into my welding
| machine. I will check out cabelas.

Something like these? http://www.infraredheaters.com/ese.htm

See if your local farmer's co-op has them. These things are so much
better than what was out there for poultry twenty years ago, and are a whole
lot nicer. I've never bought one, so I can't vouch for them, though.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
JR North

Don't know your situation, but my shop is an uninsulated, unheated
downstairs 2 car garage. I just installed a vent in the forced-air heat
duct in the ceiling to warm the shop with furnace operation. The garage
doors don't seal at all, but my machines don't rust, even the ones
situated near the doors.
JR
Dweller in the cellar

Pete Bergstrom wrote:

Last winter I used lamps to slightly warm my mill and lathe over the
cold period when I don't use the shop (to keep the condensation problem
down). I'm doing that right now, but the light bulbs burn out and even
when working they make a nice glow that escapes the garage, probably
alerting the up-to-no-good-types that there's something of value in there.

I've been looking for coffee-cup warmers, which I've read will do
something similar as they put out about 25 watts of heat. They don't
seem to be around anymore.

Any other suggestions? I have a Model Engineer's Workshop issue from a
few years ago that has a DIY thermostat and heater project, but I'd just
as soon use something cheap and ready-made.

Thanks,
Pete (in St. Paul, MN)

Dependence is Vulnerability:
"Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Pete Bergstrom wrote:

Last winter I used lamps to slightly warm my mill and lathe over the
cold period when I don't use the shop (to keep the condensation problem
down). I'm doing that right now, but the light bulbs burn out and even
when working they make a nice glow that escapes the garage, probably
alerting the up-to-no-good-types that there's something of value in there.

I've been looking for coffee-cup warmers, which I've read will do
something similar as they put out about 25 watts of heat. They don't
seem to be around anymore.

Any other suggestions? I have a Model Engineer's Workshop issue from a
few years ago that has a DIY thermostat and heater project, but I'd just
as soon use something cheap and ready-made.

Thanks,
Pete (in St. Paul, MN)

Paste wax works good on woodworking tools.

Wes S
--
Reply to:
Whiskey Echo Sierra Sierra AT Alpha Charlie Echo Golf Romeo Oscar Paul dot Charlie Charlie
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
William B Noble (don't reply to this address)

why not just use 220V lamps - they will put out a dull yellow light
and will last virtually forever (the ratio of life/rated life of a
lamp is proportional to the 13th power of the voltage ratio, so cut
the volts in half and your bulb will outlast you by a long shot)

wrote:

Last winter I used lamps to slightly warm my mill and lathe over the
cold period when I don't use the shop (to keep the condensation problem
down). I'm doing that right now, but the light bulbs burn out and even
when working they make a nice glow that escapes the garage, probably
alerting the up-to-no-good-types that there's something of value in there.

I've been looking for coffee-cup warmers, which I've read will do
something similar as they put out about 25 watts of heat. They don't
seem to be around anymore.

Any other suggestions? I have a Model Engineer's Workshop issue from a
few years ago that has a DIY thermostat and heater project, but I'd just
as soon use something cheap and ready-made.

Thanks,
Pete (in St. Paul, MN)

Bill

www.wbnoble.com

to contact me, do not reply to this message,
instead correct this address and use it

will iam_ b_ No ble at msn daught com
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Miller

Industrial switchboards in humid countries often
have small strip heaters that keep the switchboard
warmer than the wet bulb temperature so that no
condensation will form in them . These are flat
strips with tabs on them so they can be screwed to
the inside of the cabinet. If I remember
correctly, they were about 35 watts, so a couple
of them attached in strategic places might do the
job nicely. Try an industrial electrical supply
for them

Tom

"Pete Bergstrom" wrote in
message ...

Last winter I used lamps to slightly warm my
mill and lathe over the cold period when I don't
use the shop (to keep the condensation problem
down). I'm doing that right now, but the light
bulbs burn out and even when working they make a
nice glow that escapes the garage, probably
alerting the up-to-no-good-types that there's
something of value in there.

I've been looking for coffee-cup warmers, which
I've read will do something similar as they put
out about 25 watts of heat. They don't seem to
be around anymore.

Any other suggestions? I have a Model Engineer's
Workshop issue from a few years ago that has a
DIY thermostat and heater project, but I'd just
as soon use something cheap and ready-made.

Thanks,
Pete (in St. Paul, MN)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
technomaNge

Ecnerwal wrote:
In article ,
Pete Bergstrom wrote:

Farm store - heater that screws into light socket (but unlike a light
bulb, does not burn out, or visibly glow).

Farm store - poultry waterer heater (heater that sits under poultry
waterer to keep it from freezing).

Pet store - "hot rock" for reptiles.

Household/closet store - "closet heater rod" - low temp heater to keep
the closet from getting mouldy.

How about salvaging the hotplate from a bunch of Goodwill coffee
makers? Their only job is to keep the pot hot.

technomaNge

--
I listen to Rush and Sean on
http://www.wabcradio.com/listenlive.asp
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Martin H. Eastburn

Hum -

I have two calrod - they are electric stove top elements - Home Depo etc sells them
as replacements...

They are 220v for the red hot times - electronic control drives them normally.

If you have several heaters ... - put them in series and put 120 - they are insulated
(except for the screw on terminals) -

I plan on making a heat tank for welding rods with them myself. They are Freebies to me.

Martin
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

Ignoramus19006 wrote:
On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 17:33:10 GMT, Pete C. wrote:

Cabella's, Bass Pro Shops, your local gun store and many other places
will have tubular heaters intended to warming gun safes to prevent
condensation and rust.

I would really like to find a small, safe heating element that would
make perhaps abou 30 watts or so. I need two, one to keep the poultry
waterer from freezing, and I would put another into my welding
machine. I will check out cabelas.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman

wrote:

Last winter I used lamps to slightly warm my mill and lathe over the
cold period when I don't use the shop (to keep the condensation problem
down). I'm doing that right now, but the light bulbs burn out and even
when working they make a nice glow that escapes the garage, probably
alerting the up-to-no-good-types that there's something of value in there.

I've been looking for coffee-cup warmers, which I've read will do
something similar as they put out about 25 watts of heat. They don't
seem to be around anymore.

Any other suggestions? I have a Model Engineer's Workshop issue from a
few years ago that has a DIY thermostat and heater project, but I'd just
as soon use something cheap and ready-made.

Thanks,
Pete (in St. Paul, MN)

Ax Man in Fridley, maybe in St. Paul as well, usually has some
heaters for under 2 bux. They look like fiberglass rope maybe 18"
long, talking from memory here. I think they're about 50 watts
running on 110 volt house current.

If you want radiant heat, use 300-watt quartz-halogen tubes (very
cheap at Menards) cranked way down to dim orange with an ordinary lamp
dimmer. They'll run about forever that way.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
daniel peterman

Waterbed heaters might work or a heating pad. You can get these at
thrift shops for next to free.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner Asch

wrote:

Last winter I used lamps to slightly warm my mill and lathe over the
cold period when I don't use the shop (to keep the condensation problem
down). I'm doing that right now, but the light bulbs burn out and even
when working they make a nice glow that escapes the garage, probably
alerting the up-to-no-good-types that there's something of value in there.

I've been looking for coffee-cup warmers, which I've read will do
something similar as they put out about 25 watts of heat. They don't
seem to be around anymore.

Any other suggestions? I have a Model Engineer's Workshop issue from a
few years ago that has a DIY thermostat and heater project, but I'd just
as soon use something cheap and ready-made.

Thanks,
Pete (in St. Paul, MN)

For coffee cup wamers..hit the second hand stores..Salvation
Army..Goodwill, St. Vincents de Paul etc.

They run about a buck. Plug em in before paying for em.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner Asch

On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 14:26:39 -0500, Bill Schwab
wrote:

Bob AZ wrote:
Pete

A small space heater will keep the place dry. I got mne at COSTCO a few
uears ago. They have a thermostat that will allow it to be used as a
warmer. Perhaps a piece of plastic over your lathe and mill will help.

Hmmm. Plastic would act as a water barrier and probably make it worse.
What about an electric blanket??

Bill

I put a plastic mattress bag over a lathe that was sitting on 4xs and
staked it down all round. It was a green house the next day..with
water standing on the lathe...not a good thing

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex

wrote:

Pete Bergstrom wrote:

[...]

That's an excellent suggestion
Another possibility would be the magnetic block heaters made for car &
truck engines. Stick one to the bottom of the cabinet.

Rex B
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jay s

what about a deep fat fryer with some kind of oil in it? crock pot with wax
in it set to the warm setting.

"Pete Bergstrom" wrote in message

Last winter I used lamps to slightly warm my mill and lathe over the cold
period when I don't use the shop (to keep the condensation problem down).
I'm doing that right now, but the light bulbs burn out and even when
working they make a nice glow that escapes the garage, probably alerting
the up-to-no-good-types that there's something of value in there.

I've been looking for coffee-cup warmers, which I've read will do
something similar as they put out about 25 watts of heat. They don't seem
to be around anymore.

Any other suggestions? I have a Model Engineer's Workshop issue from a few
years ago that has a DIY thermostat and heater project, but I'd just as
soon use something cheap and ready-made.

Thanks,
Pete (in St. Paul, MN)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gary Brady

Ignoramus19006 wrote:

I would really like to find a small, safe heating element that would
make perhaps abou 30 watts or so. I need two, one to keep the poultry
waterer from freezing, and I would put another into my welding
machine. I will check out cabelas.

Don't know how much it would cost, but how about a block heater for a
diedel engine? Every Ford diesel (and I suspect other brands, also)has
one. They plug into a 110v outlet.

--
Gary Brady
Austin, TX
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Clif Holland

They are also submerged in the coolant so they don't burn up.

--

Clif Holland KA5IPF
www.avvid.com

"Gary Brady" wrote in message