Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
SteveF

Default Keeping a lathe and mill warm over winter?

"rigger" wrote in message
oups.com...

Pete Bergstrom wrote:
Last winter I used lamps to slightly warm my mill and lathe over the
cold period when I don't use the shop (to keep the condensation problem

[snip]

I just picked-up a used Corona kerosene heater for my shop. It starts
and runs well and is independant of outside power. Although I like it
for my use I don't know what the economics will look like yet (compared
to electric or propane). Another good manufacturer is Kero-Sun.
The simple, lower hassel, solution would be one of those oil filled
electric heaters which look like an old time radiator; they never get
hot enough to ignite things that come their way. And they work great.

dennis
in nca

First time I heated my shop with a kerosene heater I got surface rust all
over the place. Some folks replied that this is due to the chemicals
released when the kerosene is burned in an enclosed space. A nice man got
an almost new kerosene heater at my yard sale.

YMMV.

Steve.