Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Miller

Default Keeping a lathe and mill warm over winter?

Industrial switchboards in humid countries often
have small strip heaters that keep the switchboard
warmer than the wet bulb temperature so that no
condensation will form in them . These are flat
strips with tabs on them so they can be screwed to
the inside of the cabinet. If I remember
correctly, they were about 35 watts, so a couple
of them attached in strategic places might do the
job nicely. Try an industrial electrical supply
for them

Tom

"Pete Bergstrom" wrote in
message ...

Last winter I used lamps to slightly warm my
mill and lathe over the cold period when I don't
use the shop (to keep the condensation problem
down). I'm doing that right now, but the light
bulbs burn out and even when working they make a
nice glow that escapes the garage, probably
alerting the up-to-no-good-types that there's
something of value in there.

I've been looking for coffee-cup warmers, which
I've read will do something similar as they put
out about 25 watts of heat. They don't seem to
be around anymore.

Any other suggestions? I have a Model Engineer's
Workshop issue from a few years ago that has a
DIY thermostat and heater project, but I'd just
as soon use something cheap and ready-made.

Thanks,
Pete (in St. Paul, MN)