Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ecnerwal

Default Keeping a lathe and mill warm over winter?

In article ,
Pete Bergstrom wrote:

Any other suggestions? I have a Model Engineer's Workshop issue from a
few years ago that has a DIY thermostat and heater project, but I'd just
as soon use something cheap and ready-made.

Farm store - heater that screws into light socket (but unlike a light
bulb, does not burn out, or visibly glow).

Farm store - poultry waterer heater (heater that sits under poultry
waterer to keep it from freezing).

Pet store - "hot rock" for reptiles.

Household/closet store - "closet heater rod" - low temp heater to keep
the closet from getting mouldy.

And finally, the best suggestion of all (expensive, though):

Rip out the slab, put in insulation, put in radiant tubing, pour a new
slab, insulate the rest of the shop, run the radiant heat in the floor
to keep the machines warm, and crank it up half a day before you go to
use them, rather than letting them sit idle all winter...