Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman

Default Keeping a lathe and mill warm over winter?

On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 10:11:17 -0600, Pete Bergstrom
wrote:

Last winter I used lamps to slightly warm my mill and lathe over the
cold period when I don't use the shop (to keep the condensation problem
down). I'm doing that right now, but the light bulbs burn out and even
when working they make a nice glow that escapes the garage, probably
alerting the up-to-no-good-types that there's something of value in there.

I've been looking for coffee-cup warmers, which I've read will do
something similar as they put out about 25 watts of heat. They don't
seem to be around anymore.

Any other suggestions? I have a Model Engineer's Workshop issue from a
few years ago that has a DIY thermostat and heater project, but I'd just
as soon use something cheap and ready-made.

Thanks,
Pete (in St. Paul, MN)

Ax Man in Fridley, maybe in St. Paul as well, usually has some
heaters for under 2 bux. They look like fiberglass rope maybe 18"
long, talking from memory here. I think they're about 50 watts
running on 110 volt house current.

If you want radiant heat, use 300-watt quartz-halogen tubes (very
cheap at Menards) cranked way down to dim orange with an ordinary lamp
dimmer. They'll run about forever that way.