Steve Smith

Default $850 for Clausing 8530 mill + Clausing 2' lathe?

If you didn't already buy them, I expect they're gone. If he still has
them, grab 'em.

Steve

Ignoramus25521 wrote:

A guy is offering his Clausing mdl 008530 s/n 009852 mill, and a
clausing lathe for sale for $850. I am wondering if it is a fair
price. I will probably sell the mill and keep the lathe. It is a
garage sale type of deal.

The mill is about 6" tall and very heavy. I would like to know how
much it weighs. The lathe is small, about 2' between centers, but has
power feed (so does the mill). Everything seems to work and there is
no excessive wear and no play.

Also, I am not sure how to transport this stuff, the lathe is easy,
but the mill is going to be difficult.

Bob Engelhardt

Ignoramus25521 wrote:
... how to transport this stuff, the lathe is easy,
but the mill is going to be difficult.

Get a rigger to do it. By the time you rent a truck or trailer and
maybe some lifting equipment, screw around trying to figure it out, risk
damaging the mill and/or your body, and spend most of a day, it just
isn't worth it. Especially with the deal you're getting. Just pay for
someone to do it. And you'll get the lathe moved along with it for
practically nothing extra.

Just my $.02,
Bob
Anthony

Ignoramus25521 wrote in news:d3ub73
:

A guy is offering his Clausing mdl 008530 s/n 009852 mill, and a
clausing lathe for sale for $850. I am wondering if it is a fair
price. I will probably sell the mill and keep the lathe. It is a
garage sale type of deal.

The mill is about 6" tall and very heavy. I would like to know how
much it weighs. The lathe is small, about 2' between centers, but has
power feed (so does the mill). Everything seems to work and there is
no excessive wear and no play.

Also, I am not sure how to transport this stuff, the lathe is easy,
but the mill is going to be difficult.

For $850, I hope you jerked his arm off handing him the money. As for
getting it home, few possibilities: a) liftgate truck, b) U-haul low
trailer. In any regard you will need some machinery rollers, should be
able to rent those at the nearest equipment rental place for cheap.

--
Anthony

better idiots.

Remove sp to reply via email
Anthony

Ignoramus25521 wrote in
:

Bob, how much would they cost? Do they go in yellow pages as
"riggers" or "rigging services"? I will make some calls tomorrow.

Yellow pages under Millwright/rigging services.

--
Anthony

better idiots.

Remove sp to reply via email

jay s

how far are you from Rock Island? been looking for a mill

"Ignoramus25521" wrote in message
I am in N Illinois.

On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 15:37:02 -0400, Eide
wrote:
Where are you located?

"Ignoramus25521" wrote in message
A guy is offering his Clausing mdl 008530 s/n 009852 mill, and a
clausing lathe for sale for $850. I am wondering if it is a fair
price. I will probably sell the mill and keep the lathe. It is a
garage sale type of deal.

The mill is about 6" tall and very heavy. I would like to know how
much it weighs. The lathe is small, about 2' between centers, but has
power feed (so does the mill). Everything seems to work and there is
no excessive wear and no play.

Also, I am not sure how to transport this stuff, the lathe is easy,
but the mill is going to be difficult.

Richard Ferguson

If by any chance the machine has a lifting eye, and you are not going
far, a good solution is an auto wrecker, just haul it on the hook. This
is especially attractive for top heavy machines, which might tip with
many of the alternatives.

Richard

Ignoramus25521 wrote:
A guy is offering his Clausing mdl 008530 s/n 009852 mill, and a
clausing lathe for sale for $850. I am wondering if it is a fair
price. I will probably sell the mill and keep the lathe. It is a
garage sale type of deal.

The mill is about 6" tall and very heavy. I would like to know how
much it weighs. The lathe is small, about 2' between centers, but has
power feed (so does the mill). Everything seems to work and there is
no excessive wear and no play.

Also, I am not sure how to transport this stuff, the lathe is easy,
but the mill is going to be difficult.

Mike Henry

What part of northern Illinois are you in? I know of a good rigger in the
Tri-cities area (a little north of Aurora) that moved a Clausing 5914 lathe
for me at a pretty reasonable price. Reply here or in email if you want
contact info. The move ran me $200 for a 1,000-lb lathe and a 13-mile one
way trip. I was willing to wait until they had a load coming my way, which
kept the price down.

BTW, $850 is a steal for either machine, let alone both, assuming that they
are in reasonable condition. The 8530s are much harder to find than the
8520. The 8530 probably weighs around 700 lbs but can be disassembled into
3 or 4 pieces that are fairly easy to move with a van.

Which model of lathe is it? A van is probably out of the question for the
lathe but a pick up truck might be able to handle it..

Clausing still sells manuals and spare parts in case you need either.

Mike

"Ignoramus25521" wrote in message
On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 17:34:35 -0400, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:
Ignoramus25521 wrote:
... how to transport this stuff, the lathe is easy,
but the mill is going to be difficult.

Get a rigger to do it. By the time you rent a truck or trailer and
maybe some lifting equipment, screw around trying to figure it out, risk
damaging the mill and/or your body, and spend most of a day, it just
isn't worth it. Especially with the deal you're getting. Just pay for
someone to do it. And you'll get the lathe moved along with it for
practically nothing extra.

Bob, how much would they cost? Do they go in yellow pages as
"riggers" or "rigging services"? I will make some calls tomorrow.

Richard J Kinch

Ignoramus25521 writes:

Also, I am not sure how to transport this stuff, the lathe is easy,
but the mill is going to be difficult.

This is my tale of moving a Clausing 8540 (horizontal mill):

http://www.truetex.com/moveclausing.htm

These things are very top-heavy, so it's best to lift them from above, not
below!
Steve Smith

Ignoramus25521 wrote:

On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 22:02:04 GMT, Anthony wrote:

I like the idea of a machinery roller. All in all, if I can find
someone to do if for me for say $100-150, I will hire them. If not, I
will mess around with liftgates.

I suggest involving a friend. It is way easier to avoid doing something stupid when you have two heads.

Steve

Steve Smith

A wrecker is what I hired to get a 6' tall air hammer out of my pickup.
He had a hydraulically extending boom with plenty of reach.

Steve

Ignoramus25521 wrote:

On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 23:55:56 GMT, Richard Ferguson wrote:

If by any chance the machine has a lifting eye, and you are not going
far, a good solution is an auto wrecker, just haul it on the hook. This
is especially attractive for top heavy machines, which might tip with
many of the alternatives.

Yes, it is a top heavy mill. I will give it a though, although I am
afraid that those wreckers cannot raise their hook high enough.

Richard

Ignoramus25521 wrote:

A guy is offering his Clausing mdl 008530 s/n 009852 mill, and a
clausing lathe for sale for $850. I am wondering if it is a fair
price. I will probably sell the mill and keep the lathe. It is a
garage sale type of deal.

The mill is about 6" tall and very heavy. I would like to know how
much it weighs. The lathe is small, about 2' between centers, but has
power feed (so does the mill). Everything seems to work and there is
no excessive wear and no play.

Also, I am not sure how to transport this stuff, the lathe is easy,
but the mill is going to be difficult.

Larry Jaques

On 17 Apr 2005 21:54:41 GMT, the inscrutable Ignoramus25521
spake:

Ignoramus25521 wrote:
... how to transport this stuff, the lathe is easy,
but the mill is going to be difficult.

Get a rigger to do it. By the time you rent a truck or trailer and
maybe some lifting equipment, screw around trying to figure it out, risk
damaging the mill and/or your body, and spend most of a day, it just
isn't worth it. Especially with the deal you're getting. Just pay for
someone to do it. And you'll get the lathe moved along with it for
practically nothing extra.

Bob, how much would they cost? Do they go in yellow pages as
"riggers" or "rigging services"? I will make some calls tomorrow.

Good question. I looked it up in the DEX Jello Pages and the Yellow
Book. It was under heading of "Machinery Moving and Erecting" in both.

"i" before "e", except after "c", what a weird society.
----
http://diversify.com Dynamic Website Applications
Gunner

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 07:50:57 -0400, Steve Smith
wrote:

Ignoramus25521 wrote:

On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 22:02:04 GMT, Anthony wrote:

I like the idea of a machinery roller. All in all, if I can find
someone to do if for me for say $100-150, I will hire them. If not, I
will mess around with liftgates.

I suggest involving a friend. It is way easier to avoid doing something stupid when you have two heads.

Steve

And remember..Time is on your side. Stop. Think. Think Again. Move
slowly. If you rush...you will break something, or get hurt.

Rushing and not thinking is dangerous.

Gunner

"At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child -
Liberalism is a philosphy of sniveling brats." -- P.J. O'Rourke
Kelley Mascher

Along those same lines... take some lumber along for bridging. If you
have to move the mill on the hook very far, bridge the legs with the
lumber and lower the mill on to the lumber. Move it close to your
destination and raise it up again. Don't try to save time by moving
the mill on the hook.

Cheers,

Kelley

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 19:00:38 GMT, Gunner
wrote:

And remember..Time is on your side. Stop. Think. Think Again. Move
slowly. If you rush...you will break something, or get hurt.

Rushing and not thinking is dangerous.

Gunner

"At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child -
Liberalism is a philosphy of sniveling brats." -- P.J. O'Rourke

Richard J Kinch

Kelley Mascher writes:

Along those same lines... take some lumber along for bridging. If you
have to move the mill on the hook very far, bridge the legs with the
lumber and lower the mill on to the lumber.

May I suggest using 10' lengths of SuperStrut clamped on in that fashion,
if you have the room to manuever. That way you also have "outriggers" that
protect against tipping your improvised platform truck. Available at Home
Depot or Lowes.

jay s

need to know what kind of collets the machine is using. also what power does
it need for the motor?
and does the machine come with anything else.
my brother and I are in serious cosideration on the machine.
please email me

On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 23:05:35 GMT, jay s wrote:
how far are you from Rock Island? been looking for a mill

Just a thought, you and I could save some costs by you coming with me,
at some point, and picking the mill up from that guy. You would pay me
a price that is lower than going ebay prices.

wrote:
Where are you located?

"Ignoramus25521" wrote in message
A guy is offering his Clausing mdl 008530 s/n 009852 mill, and a
clausing lathe for sale for $850. I am wondering if it is a fair
price. I will probably sell the mill and keep the lathe. It is a
garage sale type of deal.

The mill is about 6" tall and very heavy. I would like to know how
much it weighs. The lathe is small, about 2' between centers, but has
power feed (so does the mill). Everything seems to work and there is
no excessive wear and no play.

Also, I am not sure how to transport this stuff, the lathe is easy,
but the mill is going to be difficult.

Abrasha

Ignoramus25521 wrote:
A guy is offering his Clausing mdl 008530 s/n 009852 mill, and a
clausing lathe for sale for $850. I am wondering if it is a fair
price. I will probably sell the mill and keep the lathe. It is a
garage sale type of deal.

Fair? That's a fantastic deal. Grab it, ... fast!

I have the 8520. Paid $1,600.00 for it, and that was a good deal as far as i
was concerned.

The mill is about 6" tall and very heavy.

It is not heavy at all.

I would like to know how
much it weighs.

A few hundred pounds.

The lathe is small, about 2' between centers, but has
power feed (so does the mill). Everything seems to work and there is
no excessive wear and no play.

Do you even know how lucky you are?

Also, I am not sure how to transport this stuff, the lathe is easy,
but the mill is going to be difficult.

No, not difficult at all. The mill comes apart very easily in about 6 to 7
parts. It can then easily be transported in the back of a pick up. And
reassembled in the new shop.

Good luck.

--
Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com
Abrasha

Ignoramus25521 wrote:
[...]

PS: It would be nice if you would not use a bogus email address, so people can
respond to you in private.
Abrasha

jay s wrote:
need to know what kind of collets the machine is using.

Morse 2

also what power does
it need for the motor?

Mine came with a single phase 120 V motor. I replaced it with a 3 phase motor

Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com
Richard J Kinch

Abrasha writes:

Fair? That's a fantastic deal. Grab it, ... fast!

Perhaps, but only if the wear is light to moderate. From the photos it
looks like the wear might be heavy, which can put a machine into the grades
of "good for rough work only" or worse.

Greg Menke

Ignoramus14555 writes:

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 13:01:21 -0700, Abrasha wrote:
Ignoramus25521 wrote:
A guy is offering his Clausing mdl 008530 s/n 009852 mill, and a
clausing lathe for sale for $850. I am wondering if it is a fair
price. I will probably sell the mill and keep the lathe. It is a
garage sale type of deal.

Fair? That's a fantastic deal. Grab it, ... fast!

I have the 8520. Paid $1,600.00 for it, and that was a good deal as far as i
was concerned.

I saw on your webpage that you were thinking of selling the mill
eventually- don't do it if you can possibly avoid it. You'll not find
its equal for the price you paid- that thing looks as near to factory
condition as you can get short of it being stored in cosmoline from day
1. They say those little Clausings aren't the most rigid around, but
they are nice- and certainly lots nicer than the modern Grizzly
equivalents. You could probably trade it even-steven for a decent
Bridgeport if you want something bigger.

Gregm
Abrasha

Ignoramus14555 wrote:
On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 13:04:29 -0700, Abrasha wrote:

jay s wrote:

need to know what kind of collets the machine is using.

Morse 2

also what power does

it need for the motor?

Mine came with a single phase 120 V motor. I replaced it with a 3 phase motor

this is your mill, right?

http://www.abrasha.com/studio.htm

Yep.

--
Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com
Larry Jaques

On 21 Apr 2005 03:01:55 GMT, the inscrutable Ignoramus14555
spake:

On 20 Apr 2005 18:48:23 -0400, Greg Menke wrote:

I saw on your webpage that you were thinking of selling the mill
eventually- don't do it if you can possibly avoid it. You'll not find
its equal for the price you paid- that thing looks as near to factory
condition as you can get short of it being stored in cosmoline from day
1. They say those little Clausings aren't the most rigid around, but
they are nice- and certainly lots nicer than the modern Grizzly
equivalents. You could probably trade it even-steven for a decent
Bridgeport if you want something bigger.

Thanks. I do not have enough space for it. What I wanted, mostly, is
to have a lathe. The lathe I bought, is perfect for me wrt size and
portability. I will drag it into the basement. I partly want one for
sentimental reasons. perhaps, "around the house", the mill is actually
more valuable.

Right. "Around the house" means "in the master bedroom", eh? bseg
"Aw, c'mon, honey. You have your makeup table and I have my mill.
That's fair, isn't it?"

What doesn't kill you + http://diversify.com
....makes you hurt more. + Web application programming